PDA

View Full Version : Tie down by wheels bad for suspension?

kbnorth99
06-13-2011, 08:31 AM
I have tied my quad down by the frame/suspension and I have tied it down by the wheels. There are advantages to both. But recently a mechanic that I trust suggested that securing the quad by the wheels was bad because the motion on the road was causing the suspension to move and flex similar to actually riding the quad. This puts hours and hours of wear on the suspension components wearing them out quicker. I trust this guy and I trust his opinion but I wanted to see if anyone else had an opinion on this.

Keep in mind I don't want this to turn into a debate over who has the best or coolest way to tie down their quad. We'll have that thread later :cool: I just want to know about the effect on my suspension before I make some mods to my trailer that could be worthless if I stop securing by the wheels.

NMills
06-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Well... it depends on how you want to look at it... you can tie it down by the wheels... alowing the vehicle to sway and bump as it should... which is not horrible... or you can tie down the frame and put pressure on the suspension... pressure that won't be released until you unstrap it... i don't think there is a wrong way.. it all depends on how you can and how you do...

pmg8134
06-15-2011, 08:15 AM
i always looked at it as your suspension was designed to handle it. when you load the suspension by tying down to something like your grab bar your forcing the suspension even further to the extreme allowing it to get closer to bottom out if the trailer was to see a hard shot from a pot hole or some other thing and then the bushings, joints and frame mounting points to take the impact. besides the fact that trailering your quad on the road is nothing compared to what it sees on a hard day riding or racin.

Scro
06-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Your shocks see more abuse in 10 minutes of riding, than they will in their lifetime of being towed on a trailer.

ridehonda400ex
06-15-2011, 10:29 AM
I put mine in the back of the truck with my bros dirtbike next to it and close the tailgate lol. I dont tie it down unless it a long trip then its just by the bumper or a-arm so it doesnt roll around, because usually its in a trailer thats like 30ft long with other quads

mirror_racing
11-27-2011, 06:47 PM
The biggest thing i was told about hauling is not to leave it in gear. Its hard on the tranny...

Aarons 01 400EX
12-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by mirror_racing
The biggest thing i was told about hauling is not to leave it in gear. Its hard on the tranny...

+1

01 400EXer
02-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by mirror_racing

I have heard the same and now instead of putting the quad in gear I put a small dog collar around the front brake and it works like a charm. I have never had any problems doing this and I don't think it will harm the brakes.

I agree with Scro, hauling your atv on a smooth road is not harming/abusing the suspension in any way at all.

mirror_racing
02-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by 01 400EXer
I have heard the same and now instead of putting the quad in gear I put a small dog collar around the front brake and it works like a charm. I have never had any problems doing this and I don't think it will harm the brakes.

I agree with Scro, hauling your atv on a smooth road is not harming/abusing the suspension in any way at all.

Agreed

sluda400ex
03-14-2013, 01:16 PM
I tie down with the grab bar pulling the bike down. And another behind the push bar pulling the bike forward. Never moves an inch.

JOHNDOE83
04-15-2013, 07:45 PM
I would never trust that "well trusted mechanic" ever again.:ermm:

Im only joking.

But seriously that is never gonna be a issue, never ever.

Like scro and others have said, in 10 mins of riding they see more wear then a lifetime of riding in a truck bed.