PDA

View Full Version : Shock revalve questions?

Foxhound013
06-12-2011, 09:05 PM
I was wondering what everyones thoughts were concerning having shocks redone and weather i should send them off and spend the extra 200 for triple rates or just spend 400 some for dual rates. If I do the triple rate i have to spend even more to get the a arms modded too. I'm taking it all to jet. What are the advantages and disadvantages of triple, for dual? Pros and cons of both would help. I race XC. Lemme know guys, and another question is do the flexx bars make that huge of a difference? Thanks to anyone who can help.

dustin_j
06-13-2011, 07:29 AM
I think you should call Jet to be sure. I assume you are getting revalves for XC and 21 or 22" tall front tires? The new upper A-arms are required for either revalve to get maximum travel. With 21" or larger front tires, the upper ball joints bind before the frame drops to 1.5" off the ground, limiting wheel travel. Their A-arm has adjustable camber, and I think a different ball joint angle to allow more wheel travel.

Dual rate vs triple rate isn't a huge difference. With either setup, you are using multiple springs to get sag, then crossing out to the main spring for bottoming resistance. Dual rates are easier to setup, and cheaper. The triple rate allows for finer tuning of the transition "rate." You can get a more progressive feel out of the triple rate, and you can also tune for a little different response when cornering. That being said, I've seen several pro bikes with dual rate springs. Hope this helps.