PDA

View Full Version : carrier bearings?

01boneless
06-12-2011, 07:14 PM
ok after riding all day and jumping i noticed around my rear sproket was leaking grease out of the carrier and theres alot of slack in my rear end does this mean i need bearings like im assuming if so what brand is best and how much do they cost? how do it get them out ive done every thing to the 400 almost but this lol?

trx250xtim
06-12-2011, 07:18 PM
is the axle wobbling around?

01boneless
06-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by trx250xtim
is the axle wobbling around?

yup

scotturban
06-12-2011, 07:19 PM
grab ahold of the rear axle one hand on each side of the carrier with the quad on a stand, if you can see the axle moving in there its time for new bearings, or if yours are trashed bad enough just sit on the quad and move your weight side to side, and you can usually tell if the bearings are trashed, I recommend calling dynamite atv for bearings, my brother trashed his axle bearings on his can-am and thats where we bought our replacements from

CJM
06-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Grab the rear with it up in the air and shake it around-should have no play.

To remove it you need to pull the wheels off, the sprocket, the hub on the left side. Yank axle out, pull brake caliper, use 2 large pipe wrenches or buy the wrenches from rocky mtn to remove the 2 large nuts on the right side, remove snap ring, remove brake stay and it slides out. Then undo the 4 hex head bolts on the swing arm and tap the carrier out.

bearings can be had many places, I like ebay. If the carrier itself is all messed up you can buy an entire one with bearings already in it too.

hope that helps, best I can remember without actually doing it again.

01boneless
06-12-2011, 07:29 PM
ok thanks guys any certain way to drive or tap the carrier out i dont want to damage it?

CJM
06-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Block of wood and a hammer always works for me.

01boneless
06-13-2011, 05:37 PM
hahah thanks

greencow
06-13-2011, 06:57 PM
I just put a new carrier in my 400 if you need help or advise i can try to help. I got a East Coast ATV carrier off of ebay.

Here is a my thread when i asked how to take out the carrier, alot of people had good impute.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=468152

And then here are pics of how bad my old carrier was and how nice the new one was.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=468298