View Full Version : Entered the world of motorcycles

Hondamaster5505
06-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Well just recently, I was on a kick and really wanted to get my first motorcycle.

Left a deposit on this bike yesterday and picking it up tuesday. It's an 83 honda shadow 750.

Just figured I would share. Can't wait to get some good cruises in this summer.

HondaRacing83
06-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Your young. :O Surprises the hell outta me you get a cruiser and not a crotch rocket.

wilkin250r
06-11-2011, 12:51 PM
That actually seems to be common. Most of us are looking for an adrenaline rush, but the risks associated with seeking adrenaline on a streetbike seem to be much higher than dirt. Sure, dirt can be dangerous, but aside from head and neck, the severity of injuries just don't seem to be quite as bad. Maybe it's just my own perspective, but the majority of dirtbike and ATV accidents don't result in injuries, but because the speeds involved streetbikes are much higher, the injuries are more prevalent. Especially single-vehicle accidents (as are common with adrenaline junkies because you're constantly pushing those limits), if you escape with only road rash, you're extremely lucky.

It just seems we make a choice to leave our adrenaline-seeking for the dirt.

Brauap
06-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Friggin beautiful bike Eric!! :)

I agree with Wilkin.. I am also 16 years old and I have a 1981 Kawasawki KZ550 LTD.. I don't want nothing to do with crotch rockets! Don't get me wrong, they are wicked and bad-*** but I just like to cruse! Plus my dad and I would like to be able to go down to Daytona Bike Week (about 1200 miles) and that is a no-go on a rocket... I absolutly love crusers!

Again.. beautiful bike bud!

Hondamaster5505
06-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks guys!

Yeah im young, but even I realize that if I had a big fast crotch rocket, knowing the power is on tap right there, that I would be an idiot. I would rather not. I have the banshee to get my off-road thrills on.

This bike has plenty of get-up-and-go to have fun, and allows me to get out in the open and cruise. :)

Sjorge450R
06-11-2011, 05:20 PM
congrats. I have been trying to get a bike now for a month and half. Ive had two people fall through on trades for my R, but now I think I have a potential buying for the R, so I will have money to get something different.

I would take a cruiser, but they just dont appeal to me. Im responsible and know my limits so I think the supersport will be ok for me. Im trying to get a nice F4i. Ive wanted one for so long now.

Let us know when you get it!

Hondamaster5505
06-11-2011, 05:20 PM
By the way, she runs perfect and I picked it up for only $550.

Hondamaster5505
06-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge450R
congrats. I have been trying to get a bike now for a month and half. Ive had two people fall through on trades for my R, but now I think I have a potential buying for the R, so I will have money to get something different.

I would take a cruiser, but they just dont appeal to me. Im responsible and know my limits so I think the supersport will be ok for me. Im trying to get a nice F4i. Ive wanted one for so long now.

Let us know when you get it!

Thanks!

Don't get me wrong, I love sport bikes. I just don't find them comfortable. I'm not looking to go fast all the time and I want to make the bike a sort of daily-driver to save on fuel. A half hour on a sport bike and your wrists hurt, back hurts, just not my kinda thing. Thats why I like sport cruisers.

I would never personally get rid of my ATV for one though.

F4i's are nice, good luck! And ill definitely be posting more when I bring her home!

Canadian144
06-11-2011, 05:56 PM
She looks good man. $550 sounds like an amazing price too.

I'd love to get a bike. But living in big city currently, and living in Boston for the next 4/5 years (for University), it doesn't make sense. Too dangerous for my parents to let me buy one haha.

I love supersport bikes as well, but they just scare me haha. So much power... I'm a responsible driver (even when driving the STI or G37) but I could see myself getting in trouble on a supersport bike.

I really want to get a supermoto. Those things are so badass! Maybe I'll buy one for myself as a university graduation present.

Anyways enjoy the cruiser!

Rich250RRacer
06-11-2011, 07:29 PM
It's very rare and really hard to find, but Honda made two different Hondaline chrome kits for the '83 VT750 and 84-85 VT700 Shadows. The main kit came with a chrome tank, chrome rear fender, and chrome side panels, also new more elaborate decals for the tank and side panels. The secondary kit came with a chrome radiator guard, chrome fuel pump cover, and chrome slave cylinder cover. With both kits installed, there wasn't any paint left and it looks like a giant mirror. There was also a small rear rack available from Hondaline, but it's very hard to find also.

Sjorge450R
06-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
Thanks!

Don't get me wrong, I love sport bikes. I just don't find them comfortable. I'm not looking to go fast all the time and I want to make the bike a sort of daily-driver to save on fuel. A half hour on a sport bike and your wrists hurt, back hurts, just not my kinda thing. Thats why I like sport cruisers.

I would never personally get rid of my ATV for one though.

F4i's are nice, good luck! And ill definitely be posting more when I bring her home!

see I dont have that problem with the sport bikes. Maybe cause of my stature, but they actually are comfortable for me, especially the F4i. Regardless. I cant wait to get something to ride though. The reason I am selling the quad is because I dont have time to ride or a truck to haul it to ride anymore. The bike is more practical and will save me gas on my daily commute.

slightlybent47
06-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Great find! You should have lots of fun on it for sure.
Now for the down side, after putting 20k on my KLX I have it up for sale.
Between all the illegal’s around here that will hit and run and leave you for dead. And all the (mostly young girl’s) driving around texting and playing with there phone and not paying attention. I have given up on riding the two wheeler.
I figure if I’m going to get hit, I would rather be in my truck then on the bike.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved riding on the street but I’d rather stay on the track instead.

ProspectorJim
06-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Nice bike. I have to agree, I'm 19 and there are a long list of bikes that id rather have than a sportbike. I'm more of a fan of cafe racers and street trackers. Supermoto's top my list though, as I'm not a fan of going fast in straight lines. Plus seeing squids in shorts, a tshirt, and flip flops really ruin street bikes for me.

Now if there was a track near me it'd be a different story. As far as streetbikes go, i'm all about the euro bikes. So much nicer than the jap bikes. I was looking at a ktm rc8 r the other day and I about made a mess in my pants.

wilkin250r
06-11-2011, 08:49 PM
By the way, she runs perfect and I picked it up for only $550.
That's just shy of theft!

My bike isn't quite as nice, but I got for an even better price :devil:

Hondamaster5505
06-11-2011, 09:01 PM
thanks everyone.

I LOVE supermotos. I actually really wanted one. My dad pretty much talked me out of one due to long-distance trips and such, but I would still like to own one, one day.

This bike has 30k on it, but you would never tell. By the looks of it, it was some guys baby/weekend cruiser for a long time and was garage kept.. Runs perfect.

Wilkin you can't leave us hanging there! Whatcha ride?

IRISH-RACER-14
06-11-2011, 09:06 PM
im 17 and i love 2 ride my dads 1100 virago.nice bike

Hondamaster5505
06-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by IRISH-RACER-14
im 17 and i love 2 ride my dads 1100 virago.nice bike

I love the viragos:cool:

Rich250RRacer
06-11-2011, 11:14 PM
I don't normally like to reveal what I pay for something, but since I plan on keeping this bike, I guess I can tell about my good deal too. This was listed in my local newspaper about a year and a half ago. Ad said it didn't run and had sat outside for over a year. The owner thought the motor was locked up. The odometer is correct and shows 6400 miles and the condition confirms that. I washed it, changed the oil, put fresh gas and a good battery in and it fired right up. Ran pretty damn good too. Hopefully I'll find the time this summer to pull the carbs, clean them, and officially put it on the road.

It's a 1983 Nighthawk 650 and the icing on the cake........................I paid $150.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee108/rich250rracer/Nighthawk/PA210174.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee108/rich250rracer/Nighthawk/PA210176.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee108/rich250rracer/Nighthawk/PA210177.jpg

wilkin250r
06-12-2011, 12:31 AM
Wilkin you can't leave us hanging there! Whatcha ride?

It's an 89 Yamaha Radian. They're not really common. It's a 600cc, so it's not big displacement, but it's an inline 4, so it really revs. Redline starts at 10k.

It's from the era before the crotch rockets were really popular, but trends were moving that way, hence the multiple cylinders and high revs. The bike itself is a little smaller and more nimble than the V-twins, and you're sitting a little higher and forward in a much more aggressive stance. It almost feels like a crotch rocket.

I'll be honest, I don't really like it, I wish I had a bike that was a little bigger and a little more laid-back, more for cruising. But while we're comparing bargains, mine was free. I did have to pay $15 for new mirrors, though. :devil:

Sjorge450R
06-12-2011, 05:55 AM
reading this thread and seeing all of the nice, clean bikes is really making me jealous that I still dont have one!!!

Hondamaster5505
06-12-2011, 07:27 AM
Wow, nice bikes guys!

Always loved the nighthawks, I actually really wanted one but couldn't find a good deal.

Never really heard of the radian, but it's a Yammy and it looks like their version of the nighthawk. I like it!

wilkin250r
06-12-2011, 08:33 AM
And I don't really know the streetbikes that well, but I think you're spot-on. It looks really similar to the nighthawk.

A buddy of mine had an XS1100 Special (1100cc), and it's possible it wasn't running properly, but at almost half the engine size (600cc) my little Radian still had a little bit more get-up than that XS1100.

But it's still not exactly what I want. I really think I'm looking for something like that Shadow, something just a tad bigger, a little more laid back. Although I like the Harleys, I don't need one for the price they demand. I'm not a purist, a Japanese brand will suite me just fine.

Hondamaster5505
06-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
And I don't really know the streetbikes that well, but I think you're spot-on. It looks really similar to the nighthawk.

A buddy of mine had an XS1100 Special (1100cc), and it's possible it wasn't running properly, but at almost half the engine size (600cc) my little Radian still had a little bit more get-up than that XS1100.

But it's still not exactly what I want. I really think I'm looking for something like that Shadow, something just a tad bigger, a little more laid back. Although I like the Harleys, I don't need one for the price they demand. I'm not a purist, a Japanese brand will suite me just fine.

It's funny you mention that, we were just looking up the XS1100's, because my dad used to own one, and were surprised to find they only had about 95hp. His current 86' XJ700 makes 86hp, so I am surprised that's all the 1100 makes.

It's a shame your not closer, I would trade for the radian haha. I just like the feeling of inline-4's and it looks similar to the nighthawk which I wanted.

I'm not a huge fan of Harley's.. they're just so far behind in technology and vibrate like a *******. This old 83 shadow has a technologically more advanced twin then a newer Harley does.

ProspectorJim
06-12-2011, 12:46 PM
I figure I might as well show my bike too. Its a 2008 ktm 250sxf that I'm currently in the process of making street legal. Hopefully I'll have everything finished up and be ready for the inspection I need to get the title switched to modified. I meant to order a white headlight, but I don't think the orange looks too bad.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r184/skunkscraps/IMG_20110606_215211.jpg

here's what it looked like when I started this.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r184/skunkscraps/right-1.jpg

yellow400ex05
06-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Thats a nice shadow 750! I love the vintage Honda's, i think the older ones are some of the best looking and built bikes, and i love the new ones too, but I'm more into vintage bikes.

My first bike was a $750 26k miles 1981 CX500

I LOVED this bike put 7000 HARD miles on it last summer, and it ran great, just changed the oil every 3k miles and put a new rear tire on it. ran alright when i sold it but it needed a stator and that required taking the engine out which I didn't feel was worth it because I only paid 750 bucks for it and had a buddy buy it off of me.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/yellow400ex05/Picture001.jpg

Now this year I found a MINT condition 1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S up near Canada and drove 5 hours to pick it up. http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/yellow400ex05/Picture002.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/yellow400ex05/Picture003.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/yellow400ex05/Picture003.jpg

400exkid2
06-12-2011, 04:29 PM
i recently bought a bike myself this year its a 2005 yzf600r im more of a rocket guy myself but i rode a 600 shadow an that was such a sweet little bike i was seriously considering getting one of those. but i found a good deal on this one so i bought it

Hondamaster5505
06-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Nice bikes guys.

yellow400ex, I'm loving that hawk! Those S models really are sharp looking bikes. A blue version that was in beautiful shape popped up on the local craigslist for only $500. Emailed the guy about an hour after it was posted and it was sold:(

I like the old shadow 750 and 700's way more then the new shadows. These old ones are pretty high-tech for their time, and actually pump out some respectable numbers for a small twin. I guess because it's from the times of the 1/4 mile wars.
The newer ones dropped way down in power and technology. I have no clue why they would go backwards.

Rich250RRacer
06-12-2011, 05:45 PM

I like the old shadow 750 and 700's way more then the new shadows. These old ones are pretty high-tech for their time, and actually pump out some respectable numbers for a small twin. I guess because it's from the times of the 1/4 mile wars.
The newer ones dropped way down in power and technology. I have no clue why they would go backwards.

They went backwards because everybody got on this Harley look-a-like kick, and to do that they use 60 year old technology and styling (just like Harley). When Harley designs a new bike, the engineer goes into the parts room, grabs a pile of stuff from various past models, figures a way to put it together, and calls it a revolutionary new model.

Hondamaster5505
06-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
They went backwards because everybody got on this Harley look-a-like kick, and to do that they use 60 year old technology and styling (just like Harley). When Harley designs a new bike, the engineer goes into the parts room, grabs a pile of stuff from various past models, figures a way to put it together, and calls it a revolutionary new model.

I wish they wouldn't have..

My dad had a fuel-injected 883 for like a month and sold it. Thing was such a dog for power.

I remember back on Pinks, that old early 80's GS1100 was beating the V-rod. Which is supposed to be their flagship sport model.

sly400ex
06-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
That actually seems to be common. Most of us are looking for an adrenaline rush, but the risks associated with seeking adrenaline on a streetbike seem to be much higher than dirt. Sure, dirt can be dangerous, but aside from head and neck, the severity of injuries just don't seem to be quite as bad. Maybe it's just my own perspective, but the majority of dirtbike and ATV accidents don't result in injuries, but because the speeds involved streetbikes are much higher, the injuries are more prevalent. Especially single-vehicle accidents (as are common with adrenaline junkies because you're constantly pushing those limits), if you escape with only road rash, you're extremely lucky.

It just seems we make a choice to leave our adrenaline-seeking for the dirt.

Damn Wilkin, spot on! i leave my true rush on the dirt, that's why I have been cruisin since my first street bike, and I continue to cruise on old iron.....

yellow400ex05
06-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Nice bikes guys.

yellow400ex, I'm loving that hawk! Those S models really are sharp looking bikes. A blue version that was in beautiful shape popped up on the local craigslist for only $500. Emailed the guy about an hour after it was posted and it was sold:(

thanks I LOVE it, its such a blast to ride, and the 16 inch front wheel and good fully adjustable stock suspension. I can keep with with my buddies on their newer 600cc rockets all day in the twisties, and I'm not far behind when it comes to the straight stretches. The bike has 2 good hits of power at around 7 and 9k RPM's

And Honda most definitely went backwards in forms of technology, the early 90's to 2003 nighthawks aren't even nearly as advanced as a bike as the 80's nighthawks, they went to 1 adjustable setting rear suspension, cable clutch and chain drive and de-tuned the 750 engine to in the range of 65 HP vs my 84's 80 rated HP, and with the pipes on my bike probably closer to 90 HP. mine also came with a hydraulic clutch from the factory self adjusting valves, shaft drive fully adjustable handlebars. the rear suspension has all sorts of settings and the front forks are the TRAC anti dive forks that a lot of the bikes in the 80's had. the bike even has a digital gear indicator and that was pretty big back then from what I've heard!

if you can find one of these bikes at a good price in good condition I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up!

Hondamaster5505
06-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by yellow400ex05
thanks I LOVE it, its such a blast to ride, and the 16 inch front wheel and good fully adjustable stock suspension. I can keep with with my buddies on their newer 600cc rockets all day in the twisties, and I'm not far behind when it comes to the straight stretches. The bike has 2 good hits of power at around 7 and 9k RPM's

And Honda most definitely went backwards in forms of technology, the early 90's to 2003 nighthawks aren't even nearly as advanced as a bike as the 80's nighthawks, they went to 1 adjustable setting rear suspension, cable clutch and chain drive and de-tuned the 750 engine to in the range of 65 HP vs my 84's 80 rated HP, and with the pipes on my bike probably closer to 90 HP. mine also came with a hydraulic clutch from the factory self adjusting valves, shaft drive fully adjustable handlebars. the rear suspension has all sorts of settings and the front forks are the TRAC anti dive forks that a lot of the bikes in the 80's had. the bike even has a digital gear indicator and that was pretty big back then from what I've heard!

if you can find one of these bikes at a good price in good condition I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up!

While I ride the shadow I definitely plan on searching for a nighthawk trade.

The Magna's went backwards too. They went down to a max of 750 (old ones came with 1100's too) and to chain drive and such.

Sjorge450R
06-15-2011, 09:35 PM
well I just purchased my first bike! 2006 Katana with 1200 miles! Picking her up tomorrow. It idles rough, but thats cause it sat for two years. Gonna clean the carbs and that should be it.

CJM
06-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge450R
well I just purchased my first bike! 2006 Katana with 1200 miles! Picking her up tomorrow. It idles rough, but thats cause it sat for two years. Gonna clean the carbs and that should be it.

That the one you were gonna get but had issues trading the 450r for?

Sjorge450R
06-16-2011, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by CJM
That the one you were gonna get but had issues trading the 450r for?

Nah. I sold my 450r out right. It was easier and less of a headache. It gave me more options than trading too. I will post some pictures tonight once I bring her home

Sjorge450R
06-19-2011, 06:28 PM
heres what I got. A 2006 Katana. I got a really really good deal on it and it only had 1200 miles on her when I brought here home. Almost 1500 already lol. Needs a little carb adjusting to get running 100% cause it sat for 2 years, but other than that. It runs great.

Hondamaster5505
06-20-2011, 09:01 AM
nice!

ZBlaster
06-21-2011, 07:34 PM
I wish they wouldn't have..

My dad had a fuel-injected 883 for like a month and sold it. Thing was such a dog for power.

I remember back on Pinks, that old early 80's GS1100 was beating the V-rod. Which is supposed to be their flagship sport model.

883's are dogs, they are also entry level bikes. No 800 cruiser is going to be a real power house.

Hondamaster5505
06-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by ZBlaster
883's are dogs, they are also entry level bikes. No 800 cruiser is going to be a real power house.

Yes, I understand that. But I can not find ANY other bike, around 800cc, whether it be V-twin, V4, or I4, that is slower then the 883.
Harley's are just underpowered for what they are.
My 1983 shadow 750 Vtwin should not be that much faster then a brand spankin' new 883. haha.

yellow400ex05
06-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Yes, I understand that. But I can not find ANY other bike, around 800cc, whether it be V-twin, V4, or I4, that is slower then the 883.
Harley's are just underpowered for what they are.
My 1983 shadow 750 Vtwin should not be that much faster then a brand spankin' new 883. haha.

actually yes your shadow would still be noticably faster than a new sportster 883 lol, my cx500 made as much power as a sportster, but thats not what a shadow or sportster is designed for to begin with.