PDA

View Full Version : which carb? 35pwk or 37.3(36)pj?..or tmx?

800screws
06-10-2011, 07:58 AM
im running a pwk38 on my lsr lt250r with a lrd engine...i want more power out of the bottom and was thinking of changing carbs...the engine is ported for mx but is still a 250 size wise...

i went on duncan's website and saw the 35pwk(will it be too small) and the 36pj and modded pj....

and on esr's, i saw the 36 mikuni tmx.....although i have no experience with these....

any ideas...would it be worth it to change carbs...u can get almost all of those carbs on ebay for $100....

troybilt
06-10-2011, 08:06 AM
I was not a fan of the 35A/S carb... but I'm not a jetting expert either. I had troubles getting it dialed in. My 34 on my stock bike has gobs of low end, its nuts. that would be my recommendation for low end carb... 36mm would be next. I'm a big fan of the 38A/S for all around riding, though...

800screws
06-10-2011, 08:14 AM
i can tune a carb...but that is one of my concerns...getting it to stay in tune in same conditions....some of the tracks i ride my rm250 on, have some decent size doubles right out of the turns and id like to get the most power i can right away...which is leading me to this idea....

is the pwk35 just a smaller bore version of the 38? its a more modern design than the pj, right? if that even mattters...

headache
06-10-2011, 11:00 AM
i'd go with the 36tmx or regular tm. I have the 36tm on my quadracer. i havent touched the carb in so long i've forgetten what main jet i'm running lol. however the mikunis seem to take a little more work to get dialed in, but once they are, they are great. in my past experience the pj carbs are notorious for not wanting to idle. otherwise they arent a bad carb.

800screws
06-10-2011, 11:49 AM
hmmm...interesting...i might call up esr and see what they say about that tmx...thanks for you experience.

800screws
06-11-2011, 10:32 AM
well of course esr recommended the tmx...thats what they sell! lol...ive heard some bad stuff about them though...that the needle has alot to do with the pilot circuit? very hard to tune? i dunno....
maybe ill just rock the pwk38 for now! lol...i need some more info before i switch.

86 Quad R
06-14-2011, 08:44 AM
i've always been a huge fan of the pj carbs for their known bottom end pull regarless of the size. case in hand...... last spring my old 38pj started to show signs of wear(slide bore worn) and as a result the performance was lacking. to get me by in a pinch, i installed a 36pwk and lost gobbs of upper revs and a little lowend. installed a 36pj and gained a lil lowend over the pwk. recenly i installed a 38pj that was bored to a 39.25 and was amazed at the low end it still had aswell as the revs.