PDA

View Full Version : 400 not starting?

400exHondaRider
06-09-2011, 07:34 PM
hey guys last week i started my 400 up and it ran fine but shut it down due to not having a good chain. So i let it sit about a week put the new chain on tried to start it and it just cranked and would not start. I put it on a charger and it still didnt want to start, finally i jumped it with my truck and it started after a few minutes, i drove it around the block twice came home and it shut off know it does not even want to crank or turn over any suggestions would be great its gotta be something electrical but i dont know what i would be any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

CJM
06-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Make sure the fuse is good (15amp), Id check the battery and see the voltage now. Gotta be 12v or so, if not bad battery.

400exHondaRider
06-10-2011, 07:30 PM
ok i checked the battery and it is like 12.11 or something around there, and the fuses are also good so what else could it be. Does jumping it with a truck fry the wiring harness or something else?

CJM
06-10-2011, 07:49 PM
No, jumping it with the truck should be fine.

Battery might have a bad cell, if you can jump with the truck and it fires right up.

Is the gas fresh, does the plug look ok, the valves adjusted? You have a stock CDI not an aftermarket? All of that must be good.

Long story short a buddy of mines wouldnt crank over and stay running at all. I jumped it and still, turns out the gas was bad. We threw some 93 octane in and no more problems.

400exHondaRider
06-10-2011, 07:53 PM
I tested the battery on a voltage meter and it read that it was ok but i havent tried to jump it since it stopped turning over. the cdi is stock and i just put fresh gas in so that shouldnt be the problem. Im not sure about the spark plug as i dont have the right wrench to check it im not a pro but i wouldnt think that would have to do with it not turning over if it was just the plug wouldnt it turn over just not fire? Also i have not touched the valves or anything in the engine for that matter it just wont crank after i jumped it before i jumped it, it cranked fine just wouldnt fire know it wont even crank.

CJM
06-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Im sorry I had misunderstood you before. So your sure that 15amp fuses are ok? Ones a dummy/spare fuse and ones the actual fuse. If its bad nothing will happen.

Does the neutral light even come on? if not your not getting any power form the battery.

400exHondaRider
06-10-2011, 08:14 PM
ya im pretty sure they are fine the thing inbetween the two tabs are still intact on both of them and as far as the neutral light im not sure i took all the lights off due to it being a race quad.

CJM
06-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Just cause the fuse looks good, take a test light and hook it up to the battery and touch it to the positive on the battery it should light. Then turn on the key and touch the light to each post of the fuse it should light up.

400exHondaRider
06-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Actually cjm turns out it was the battery i was only getting the 12 volt reading because it was on the charger when i tested, threw a new battery on and it runs better then ever, not just because the battery but i adjusted the needles in my carb while i had all the stuff off checking the spark plug. Thanks again for the help it was much appreciated.

CJM
06-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Your welcome, glad its fixed.