PDA

View Full Version : lock nuts

southex
02-20-2003, 06:21 PM
i just put on a lsr axle and i cant get the lock bolts back on correctly, could somebody help and even post a picture of theirs.
thanks

southex
02-21-2003, 07:59 PM
no help from anyone?

JOEX
02-21-2003, 08:33 PM
Lock bolts??? Do you mean lock "nuts"??

Joe

EvilJester400EX
02-21-2003, 09:11 PM
quick fix - put lock tite on the threads.
expensive way - buy an aftermarket axle lock nut

southex
02-22-2003, 09:53 AM
words of wisdom from joeex,
does the lock NUT go over the existing NUTS?, my concern would be putting it on if i dont have them on correct to begin with.

southex
02-22-2003, 09:55 AM
by the way, did you coin the word "nuts"?

JOEX
02-22-2003, 08:21 PM
Did it always say lock nuts in the title? I read the text and saw "bolts" and for some reason that stuck with me:rolleyes: maybe I have a few screws loose:p I didn't coin the word, but I hang around a couple of them!:D

Anyhoo...i'm not sure exactly what your asking. What do you mean by putting the lock nut over the exisiting nuts?
Are you putting the stock lock nut assembly (3 pieces) back on or an aftermarket one?
We need a bit more info to help (at least I do!)

I'm still waiting for my LSR to get here:grr

Joe

BTW...there is only one "E" in my name:blah

southex
02-25-2003, 07:17 PM
i am having problems with the three piece unit (i guess its like a collar and two lock nuts), as stupid as it sounds i dont remember how i took them off. i dont understand what i am supposed to be tightening. if i put the against the stopper ring the whole assembly slides, i need to pay more attention next time. Joex you should like the lsr axle, i have heard nothing but good things about them.

JOEX
02-25-2003, 11:25 PM
LSR Axle...that is why I bought one, nothing but good things, now if it will ever show up:grr

If you don't have a manual I highly suggest getting one. I know i'll need mine when the axle gets here. I took mine apart about 6 weeks ago:rolleyes:

From Clymer, (short hand)
Slide the splined cylinder and seat against the hub w/ large nut removed
The skinny nut goes nearest the rotor hub
Apply lock tight to threads where large nut will go
Thread both nuts toward the brake hub to expose snap ring groove
Apply grease to ring and install
Back large nut away from hub and seat over and against snap ring
Tighten and torque to 65 lb/ft I think you need special wrenches to do this correctly
Apply lock tight to threads where skinny ring will seat against outer ring (they will but up to each other)
Tighten and torque to 94 lb/ft

It looks to me that the lock nut applies pressure between the snap ring and the brake hub.

Good luck, let me know how it goes...hopfully i'll be doing this soon:)

Joe

Braff1
02-26-2003, 01:37 PM
Some ideas. Make sure the clip is in the groove. The threads are reverse, counter clockwise tightens, clockwise loosens. I used high temp lock tight in case the heat from the brake rotor or bearings would heat the axle up.

dan

nakomis0
02-26-2003, 01:58 PM
Don't tighten 'your nuts' against the swingarm. Tighten them against the ring.

So it pushes the collar towards the swingarm.