PDA

View Full Version : Jetting 101 guide

EthansDad
06-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Hey All,

Been researching Jetting for about the last year now and wanted to share some ideas learned about jetting. The biggest lesson I've learned is its hard, and I'm no expert. also, there is no easy way to Jet besides understanding what is going on in that carb, what are your tuning goals, and how to test such that you get repeatable results. This guide is just a reference for all of that. hope it helps you jet better, or at least answer some questions about what's going on in that carb!

Theory of Jetting:
the main job of a carb is to mix air and fuel into a optimal ratio and feed it to the motor. simple, eh? fuel is metered into the motor by a series of jets with different size openings. higher numbers being a bigger opening will deliver more fuel. you can say the throttle position is only a suggestion of how much fuel is to be delivered to the motor, the job is ultimately carried out by the jet size.

the science going on is called stoichiometry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoichiometry). can read up on it in the link, but the short version is for any fuel and oxygen mix, there is one and only one optimum ratio which produces the maximum "boom". what that means is your motor only makes max power when your jetting is spot on delivering 14 parts oxygen to 1 part fuel, or 14:1. if I deliver less oxygen per unit of fuel, I am rich since the mixture now has more fuel per volume that before. the opposite is also true, if I have too much oxygen per volume, I am lean.

The fuel delivery is fairly straight forward and something that you as a tuner can control. its important to know that fuel is also a cooling agent to the motor. that is why if you run too lean, you burn your motor. the air is a different story. its oxygen that mixes with the gas to create the 'bang" needed for combustion. The problem is per any given volume of "air", you really don't know how much oxygen you are getting.

What is really needed to know is the air density. Let's say I grab a handful of "air" and call that exactly one unit of air. If I measured the make up, I'd find its 20% oxygen in that one unit. the problem is how densely packed is that unit of air I have in my hands? if the air is very dense, in the same handful, I might have 1.5 units of air, and now have a volume that contains 30% oxygen. That is going to change my air/fuel ratio since now per every intake period, I introduce more oxygen into the motor. that means the same jetting that ran great last time is now running lean, since there is more oxygen per intake period.

Things that effect air density are temperature, altitude, barometric pressure, and to some degree humidity.

Temp - the hotter it gets, the more excited the air gets atoms get, and therefore are more spread out per volume. so when its hot, there is less oxygen per volume, and of course when its colder, there is more oxygen per volume.

altitude - air has weight and our atmosphere is always pushing down on us. that causes density. when I am higher up, there is less air above me to the top of our atmoshpere, therefore there is less density. so, the higher I go, the less oxygen per volume. common sense there if you have ever been in the mountains, hard to breath!

barometric pressure - storm front and other weather events have an effect on air density. the higher the pressure, the more air per volume.

Humidity - from what I can read, it has some effect, but very little compared to the other 3. basically, if there is water in the air, it takes up space, so per volume of air, there is less oxygen since some of that space is taken up by water. so, if its humid, air density goes down.

Netting all of that above out in simple up/down relationship (AD=air density):

Read the below chart like this:
*the condition = how it effects air density = the new condition it puts on your existing jetting -->which way to change your jetting to correct

*Temp hotter = AD down = richer -->lower jet number
*Temp colder = AD UP =leaner = higher jet number
*altitude higher = AD down = richer -->lower jet number
*altitude lower to sea level = AD UP = leaner-->higher jet number
*bar press Down (low pressure system) = AD Down = richer -->lower jet number
*Bar pressure up(high pressure system) = AD UP = leaner -->higher jet number
*Very Humid = AD Down = richer --> lower jet number
*very dry = AD normal = n/a -->no jet change

a good rule of thumb, for any on event in one direction, I take a guess of 2 jet sizes, or points, so I might move from a 95 main to a 98 (next hop up) for one event. if I get two of these events going in the same direction (its colder and this track is closer to sea level for example), then 4 points. if one event is going in one direction, and another event in the opposite, well they cancel each other out!

Also, for any 4 point move on the main jet in one direction, its a good idea to move your needle clip one position in that same direction.

That rule of thumb has worked for me to get it in the ballpark, but sometimes, when all else fails, revert to the tuning guide and make sure your guesses on jet directions are correct!

A common mistake for a rookie 2-stroke tuner is to confuse the terms lean/rich as it relates to air/fuel to the oil/gas ratio. it can get confusing. I used to think those two where totally different, but came across a read that shows they are related. remember how with humidity the water in the air takes up 'space' so it effects air density? well, when you put oil in gas, it also takes up space in your fuel. so for every one unit of fuel that has oil in it, there is less actual fuel! sounds picky, but seems like the professional 2 stroke mechs in the past used to fine tune air/fuel ratios track side by adjusting their 2 stroke oil/fuel ratio. if they needed to be say 1 jet size leaner, or even a half jet size, they would compensate by taking away more fuel per volume by adding more oil to the gas! tricky!

Goals of jetting
produce max power at all times. simple, yes? another way to say that is I want to keep an ideal ratio for every throttle position. for the sake of keeping it simple, let's say I just have one jet in my carb. What you need is to find out the air density and change your jet such that the ratio is 14:1 in any conditions.

Jetting howto

there are already some good guides out there that I'll link to. I don't think I can write up anything better than these.
Guide 1 (http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-motocross-offroad/17227-spankeys-jetting-guide-info-2-stroke-riders-must-have.html)
More Detailed Guide (http://www.eric-gorr.com/pdfs/carb%20cleaning%20and%20jetting.pdf)

What I will add is it probably won't work for you the first time. don't quit, keep at it! its a good idea to document your jetting. that way, if you get too far off center, you can always go back to a starting place. make small moves in one direction, and usually only change one circuit at a time. I personally like to start with the pilot jet since it effects the entire range, unlike any other jet.

Here is how I document jetting:
Carb size (like 20, 21mm, etc)
main jet
pilot jet
needle position
current temp
current altitude (for different tracks)
air screw position
What motor config
Which pipe

Advanced Tools and testing
If I had a gauge on the carb the gave me real time readings on fuel to oxygen readings, it would be easy to jet. the problem is you never know that info. there are, however a few tools and tricks that can help you get your ratio right on air/fuel.

RAD gauge - or relative air density gauge. What a RAD gauge does is put all the big factors of air density into one common scale of percentage. so temp, altitude, and barometric pressure can all be netted out to tell me if I need to go up or down in jetting for any given condition. What the RAD gauge does is tell when when any of these factors go up or down enough to effect overall air density. so for example, I can be sitting trackside and see that the temp has gone up 10deg, but there is also a storm front coming in -the RAD gauge nets it all out and tells me air density has gone down 10%, and I need to go down 10% on jet size to keep my ratio correct. The down side to a RAD gauge is it won't help you jet the bike the first time. you need another method to get it spot on the first time, then going forward you can use the rad gauge to keep that ratio balanced for any given air condition.

EGT - exhaust gas temp. a neat by product of Stoichiometry is that different ratios of air:gas affect the temperature of the exhaust gas. the less fuel, the hotter, the more fuel (richer) the cooler the exhaust gasses will be. I've found this to be an effective method to get jetting dialed in for the first time. I'm not 100% sure on the ideal temp, but my best guess is that you want the exhaust to burn at 800 deg Fahrenheit under load. If I am burning at 750F, I am rich and losing power and if I am burning at 900F, I am likely about to loose my motor. for reference, in a car the ideal temp is 1200F. aluminum melts at 1200F, but the cylinders never get hot enough since the spent fuel (hot gas) is expelled so fast.

the good parts of EGT it is measurable and exact and very valuable for first time jetting or absolute checks. the down side, you need to modify your pipe to run one and also get some testing equipment to gather the probe data.

don bassani
06-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Great job Eric ! You are the king of research.

biggfurm6881
06-14-2011, 04:00 PM
I want to say Thanks for putting this up it has made my life so much easier and my kid loves it to now she has been pulling the hole shot's since i have read this and got that motor tuned in good

hanker
07-05-2011, 12:27 AM
When I was at the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, A guy out there had an app for this on his I phone.

drtracer27
07-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Wouldn't a wide band oxygen sensor give you the A/F reading that you are looking for? I have an Innovate LC-1 that I had hooked up on my Outlaw to tune it and I wanted to tune my boys DS70 with it but I wasn't sure what the correct A/F reading should be on it. By the way if anybody is interested in one I have it for sale, the LC-1.

EthansDad
07-07-2011, 06:43 AM
I went and looked at the iphone apps for jetting. some good ones out there, but most seem to be like "input in temp, altitude, bar pressure and we'll calculate air density for you". handy, but you still need a barametor. the big downside is the iphone will never have the sensors for the software to be fully automatic..will have to have something external that I input into the phone. still cool though.

on the wide band sensor, best answer I can give is maybe. The problem is they are all made for 4 strokes. I did find some reads of folks that tried a wide band on a 2 stroke and said it worked briefly, then gummed up the sensor to the point it had to be replaced.

Have you tested your wide band sensor on a 2 stroke? I might be interested in getting that from you, PM me.

EthansDad
07-07-2011, 11:23 AM
so, funny thing..I totally missed with our jetting settings at Sunday Creek on Saturday. Wanted to talk about it in case I'm missing something.

When I got to the track, first thing I did was break out my RAD gauge. It was reading 110%, which means the air was 10% more dense then the last time I ran, which is the biggest swing in air density I've seen all season. per the guide and what longacre (maker of RAD gauge) says, when density goes up by 10%, you need to increase your jetting by 10% (go bigger or richer by 10%).

that is exactly what I did on both bikes. our mod was running a bit off on saturday, but still race ready. due to the storms and wet track, I opted to run a air filter cover (milk jug). about lap 3, our bike richend up so much, it fouled a plug and cut off. I was able to remove the jug, start the bike, burn it out and have Ethan finish the race, just not the place we wanted.

on Sunday, the RAD gauge was still reading near 110% and my jetting was still acting a bit off. I took the bike over to Hetrick and he said lean it up, a lot. I leaned up the main 4 or more points and dropped the needle two positions leaner. That was the ticket and our 50 mod ran like a champ on sunday.

so, here is whats odd, why the heck did the rad gauge tell me I need to be 10% richer, when in fact I really needed to be like 10% leaner (than my starting place)? I called longacre to confirm, I was reading the gauge right. the only factor the gauge does not take into effect is humidity, and it was very humid that day. the only thing I can think is if I had 2 "events" moving it dense (temp + bar pressure), and Humidity moving it to the less dense direction that was not taken into account. its either that, or my gauge is broke according to longacre.

I really like it when things are predictable and this blows my noodle a bit how it could be so off. I think I'm going to buy a humidity gauge and start logging that as well.

Also confirms why guys like me are "hobbyist" and guys like Hetrick are professionals :)

o4twinpeaks
07-13-2011, 05:53 AM
Eric my son is not happy with you right now!!! Dad never gets the clutching and the jetting right at the same time... well till monday night anyway.lol was up at hetricks on fri tuning on dyno and had things top notch there. Came home and went racing on monday night. At hetricks it was 77 degrees 44% humidity and up in the mountians. Dow here monday night was 97 degrees 95%+ humidity 200' above sea level with a massive t storm rolling in. Bike was pig rich on bottom end. Dropped pilot jet from 40 to 38 lowered needle 2 clips and opened up air screw 2 1/4 turns and seemed to have a great snap off idle. Well he got to the line light turned green and he was upside down on the starting line. Traction+motor+clutching= up side down kid and pissed off mama. Of coarse this is all my fault since I tuned the bike. LOL

Thanks for the info
was great to be able to pull it up on the phone while in the trailer on the track.

Tom

jweidner
07-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Hey Guys,
From my experience, you should always be consisent
1. Air cleaner - always use the same kind between races (foam or KN Style) and from week to week -always try to oil the filter the same way and be consistent with oiling the filter - don't use too much!! - Too much oil will give you a rich condition.
2. When jettting a 4 stroke or 2 stroke.. jet it at running temp!! Cold engine that is not up running temp will run a little lean as the motor heats up it uses less fuel, resulting in a possible rich condition.
3. I try to compensate for dust and mud. I know that as the race goes on the filter will be getting dusty or muddy and will pull in less air also giving a rich condiiton, so I jet occordingly.
4. If you have a water cooled engine - the radiator should be cooling the engine, don't richen the motor up to keep the engine cool -you will end up chasing your tail.
I myself am also no pro when it comes to jetting, but I have learned to go back to the basics when it comes to jetting
Thanks,

EthansDad
07-13-2011, 03:50 PM
That is funny stuff twinpeaks! need to put a footnote to the tuning guide - when its right, install wheelie bar!

So, just following your numbers on the 'events scale'
temp hotter by >20deg = AD down *2 events

humidity up by >100% = AD Down * 2 events

Altitude down by 800ft (1017ft at oil city, 200ft where you where) = AD Up * 1 event

so just guesses at how many events each change is, I'd say that's 4 events for AD down, 1 event for AD up nets 3 events for AD down. I would have taken the main jet down (leaned it) 3-4 'hops' or jet sizes, dropped the needle 1-2 spots and maybe lowered the pilot 1 hop too.

the 'relative' part of density is converting change to a percentage, so you can move that %change in Air density over to a %change in jet size. to do it "right" one should actually measure (or refer to table) of jet orifice sizes in inches (or mm), then when density goes up/down by 10%, you refer to your jet orifice guide and pick the jet size 10% bigger/smaller...I have not taken it to that level yet.

I'd really like to get this one day where I can accurately read air density and say when air density is X jetting must be Y. until then, this event counting seems to get things in the ball park. I do have my eyes on some more test equipment, but have not got approval yet from my budgeting committee to buy it....

jweidner - very good info! I wish more folks would share little gems like this, it all helps! your point #3 was very interesting and a true condition that happens in what we do!

jweidner
07-14-2011, 06:24 AM
Hi EthansDad,

I think everybody has some great info, the only thing I might question would be starting @ the pilot and working your way up to the main jet (refering to guide 101)

In my opinion, the main jet should be the first jet to adjust. If you start from the pilot, then the needle and then main you will need to back track your steps becauces when changing the main jet you are indirectly changing a percentage of your needle adjustment.
( Example: If I am running a 145 main and my clip is in the middle of the needle if I drop down to a 143 main I may have to drop the clip or raise the needle one step in order to maintain my needle adjustment.

I think we are all in agreement that at wide open throttle you are soley using the main jet, why not change this first then it is out of the way. After the main is correct moving down to the needle which is from 1/4 throttle to 3/4. Once this is complete, then all you have is the pilot and air/fuel screw.

I think to sum it up that the main jet affects more than just wide open throttle position and nothing else affects the main jet, so I think you should start from the top and work your way down.

I'm sorry if this seems confusing, I tried my best to explain. I used to build 250 micro sprint engine on alcohol and they burn a piston in about 3 seconds if jetting isn't correct.

Thanks,

EthansDad
07-14-2011, 01:19 PM
hey jweidner,

I think how you get there is preference. I've seen some guides say main first, others pilot first. I take two different approaches to jetting - first time setup VS trackside tuning.

on First time setup - like a new motor or pipe - I like to start with the lower end / pilot jet. I'll make sure the main is big enough not to seize and work on the pilot and air screw. Reason why is per this chart, the pilot jet is ALWAYS adding fuel through out the range. so at WOT, your total fuel delivery is actually pilot + main jet. if you do main first, then switch up pilot, well, you might have to back and revisit main again. so my order would be pilot / air screw first (no lower end bog), then main ( will scream to max rpms on stand w/proper plug color), then needle ( to get the best transition between bottom / top ranges). I'm not saying that's the best, but has worked for me.

on Track side tuning - assuming I now have my jetting baseline for my motor and no major changes except the new track location / weather, I take a different approach. I start with the main jet per the event scale, drop the needle clip if I am making big moves, and spend some quality time with the air screw to adj the pilot, usually in that order. I rarely change the pilot track side, although if I run out of range on the air screw, then I drop/raise pilot.

jweidner
07-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Hi Ethansdad,

You are certainly correct that every body in the end has there own way to adjust a carb jetting. I certainly wouldn't be afraid to adjust pilot first,air screw, main and then needle, just as long as when making a main jet change you may need to visit your needle setting..

I like your last comment about running out of range with the air screw, then making a pilot adjust... Great info and so true!!

Question: On Drr or Apex, why do you think so many people have problems with jetting?? It really does only seem to be these quads???

Thanks,

jweidner
07-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Hey Ethandad,

I was so curious as to your photo of the air screw I went to Keihins carb web sight and pulled this.

I guess every manufacturer's carb may be a little different. :)

EthansDad
07-14-2011, 02:34 PM
funny, I was looking at that one last night too on keihin-us.com. This is a learning exercise for me too, but here is my guess.

The one I posted up is generic to most carb types, or a logical run through of what each circuit does. The one you have is specific for Keihin PWK type carbs, and they refer to theirs as "effective range for adjustments".

I think what Keihin is saying is if you are trying to effect your WOT jetting, adjusting pilot is ineffective. I agree to that.

however, once the pilot starts metering fuel at 1/4, it never shuts off. there is no stop to the flow of the pilot circuit. I think that is what the generic one is saying.

To really answer this, what we'd need to know is at WOT and 100% of fuel delivery, how much of that fuel is coming from the main VS the pilot? my S.W.A.G guess would be 90% from main, 10% from pilot, but it might be even less than that. don't really know a good way to test that. you could find your best main, measure max rpms on the stand, then drop the pilot 1 and see if you still reach the same max rpms I guess.

As for carb issues on DRR/APEX, I don't think they are the only ones. Anything with a carb running at/near peak performance is going to be effected by the jetting being off. If its a sleepy old pit bike, you'll never notice - I don't on ours. Might also have to do with the CVTs that if the carb is off, you can't just downshift or clutch past the bog, you have to live with it and it sucks.

jweidner
07-14-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm not around a dyno right now to check air/fuel ratio @ WOT, but I think if there is a noticable difference the dyno would pick it up?

:)

EthansDad
07-14-2011, 02:47 PM
yea, your right up there close to Hetrick's shop. do some tests next time and let us know! I'm still putting my nickles together for a dyno, don't think its going to happen any time soon. I was thinking about building an inertia wheel that I can bring around with me, but only sooo much time for projects in a day.

What really caught my eye on Keihins site is per that little chart you posted, there really are about 5-6 different adjustments one could be doing to the carb to REALLY dial it in and here we are flipping main jets around. still a lot more to learn in our sport compared to other styles of racing.

-EA

JustinBoots
09-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Ok I ready the tuning guide posted by EthansDad and read other posts related to carb adjustments, but I'm still stumped. I just changed out my reed cage and now am attempting to tune all over again. I'm tuning my son's 50cc DRR with a 21mm PVK carb on it. I originally was running a 48 pilot and felt that might have been part of my power loss so I've moved down on pilot size. I kept moving it down because when I screw in the idle/air screw it just continues to run for a couple secs before it dies, leading me to believe the pilot is still too large. It's at a 35 now and still does the same. I warmed the bike, set the screw a 1.5 turns out, adjusted the engine speed screw on carb to a slightly elevated idle and when I screw the air/fuel screw in and out I don't get an elevated idle. This is boggling my mind....the plug is tan all the way up inside, yet everything is continuing to tell me the pilot adjustment is not going the way it should. I've sprayed my intake down as well while running to ensure I don't have air leaks. Another symptom I am wrestling with is it is slow to come back down to idle, not sure if it's related or not. Any help is greatly appreciated because we race this weekend.

EthansDad
09-04-2011, 08:16 AM
did you check out the linked docs for more detailed how-to on dialing in jetting? I personally had to read them a couple of times, try it, come back read it, then back to trying it a couple of times before it clicked - I'm a bit slow on the uptake I guess.

for that 21mm carb on a 50, try 42 pilot, 95-100 main, and needle in position 2 (second from top).

keep in mind plug color is only accurate if you do a chop test, which is really only for WOT readings. so for 1/4-3-4 throttle, you have to use your ears.

after a bit of running it on the stand, you will be able to hear the difference in rpm climb going from different ranges. I blip my throttle from 1/4-1/2, then 1/2-3/4. sometimes, its slow to climb, other times it just rips right up. its temping to get the main right, and when you hear the bike screaming top rpms say "I've got it", but really its how quickly the rpms can climb is what you are after - and that is all by ear on the pilot and needle circuit.

bottom line - keep working at it - and start paying more attention to the crispness of your rpms and rpm rate of climb. make notes as you change out jets - and also keep in mind transition from one circuit to the next matter. in other words, it might run really great on a 38 pilot, down low, but the jump from a 38 pilot to the needle (even in the leanest spot) is too much. you want no hesitation from blipping throttle ranges from 1/4-1/2 and 1/2-3/4.

JustinBoots
09-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Admittedly I only read and printed the first guide link because it seemed so straight forward to me. Then I went out and it wasn't doing anything like I wanted it to do. :) I'll go out and start with your baseline suggestion because that's closer to what we were running last weekend when we did well.

I've printed the detailed guide now as well and I'll read it a couple times too. :) Frustrating to be so close yet so far. :)

Originally posted by EthansDad
did you check out the linked docs for more detailed how-to on dialing in jetting? I personally had to read them a couple of times, try it, come back read it, then back to trying it a couple of times before it clicked - I'm a bit slow on the uptake I guess.

for that 21mm carb on a 50, try 42 pilot, 95-100 main, and needle in position 2 (second from top).

keep in mind plug color is only accurate if you do a chop test, which is really only for WOT readings. so for 1/4-3-4 throttle, you have to use your ears.

after a bit of running it on the stand, you will be able to hear the difference in rpm climb going from different ranges. I blip my throttle from 1/4-1/2, then 1/2-3/4. sometimes, its slow to climb, other times it just rips right up. its temping to get the main right, and when you hear the bike screaming top rpms say "I've got it", but really its how quickly the rpms can climb is what you are after - and that is all by ear on the pilot and needle circuit.

bottom line - keep working at it - and start paying more attention to the crispness of your rpms and rpm rate of climb. make notes as you change out jets - and also keep in mind transition from one circuit to the next matter. in other words, it might run really great on a 38 pilot, down low, but the jump from a 38 pilot to the needle (even in the leanest spot) is too much. you want no hesitation from blipping throttle ranges from 1/4-1/2 and 1/2-3/4.

JustinBoots
09-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Happy to say I've made some progress today. Lap times have improved considerably over my best up to today so that's improvement. I'm still not fully feeling the whole adjust idle speed to highest using the air/fuel screw. I just don't hear much difference, but now I'm thinking maybe my idle is too high. Can someone tell me what RPM these bikes should idle at?