PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem!

eckert
06-08-2011, 12:11 PM
I have a semi built 300ex with an electrical issue. The problem is the battery not staying charged. I have a new battery installed full charge. After a day of sitting the battery is too dead to even start the quad. The starter just clicks. I charge the battery up again and it will start, but again I let it set a day and its dead. My key switch is also dead. you can turn the key on or off and the quad still runs. I had to ground quad from the reverse switch due to removal of reverse to get quad to start. I also have a kill cord installed due to racing. Any ideas would be appreciated.

rooster300ex
06-10-2011, 07:19 AM
There has got to be a short somewhere making the battery draw power. Check all wiring. Try unplugging your key switch and connecting them together and disconnecting after u ride. How old is your stator?? see if that works. could be your key switch. if it is put an on/off toggle switch

smr
06-10-2011, 02:14 PM
has your key switch been by passed. You can unplug the key switch and hook the two wires together. This will allow the guad to run and would also drain the battery if the quad wasn't running.

rooster300ex
06-11-2011, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by smr
has your key switch been by passed. You can unplug the key switch and hook the two wires together. This will allow the guad to run and would also drain the battery if the quad wasn't running.

I just said that man

eckert
06-11-2011, 07:51 AM
I will check the key switch. I know the switch itself doesn't work due to being able to turn key switch to on or off and the quad runs. I didn't wire it so I will check over the wiring there. Thanks for all your help I appreciate it. I will update on my findings.

rooster300ex
06-11-2011, 01:10 PM
I bet the key switch is the problem. Either get a new one or put an on/off toggle switch.

330exrider4life
06-16-2011, 07:59 PM
OH man my quad is the same do to the idiot that had it before me. My key switch does work although the starter turns over in neutral without key or anything. Also you can take the key out and itll run with the lights on a certain way