PDA

View Full Version : Stocks

161xchonda
06-07-2011, 08:22 PM
So I have recently received a bit of money from my graduation party, and I'm trying to figure out what route to take to try and do with it.

Right now, I'm thinking investing in some stocks are the best way to go. The problem is, I am not extremely stock smart. I know the basics, but thats it. Which online trading site is the best to use? And is there any things to stay away from or to try and go for while buying stocks?

This is all new to me, and I plan on majoring in Business Administration in college. Figured this may be a good way to become a bit more knowledgeable. All info is appreciated. Thanks!

CJM
06-07-2011, 08:47 PM
I wouldnt invest in stocks, market fluctuates to much and depending on your choices (specially since your green) you could lose alot. Much better to open an account with a bank (ign perhaps) that gives hi-interest yield savings accounts.

That or buy something you know about cheap thats worth $, and sell it fro $$$

slightlybent47
06-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Much better to open an account with a bank (ign perhaps) that gives hi-interest yield savings accounts.

LMAO! Thats a good one!

ngates788
06-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
LMAO! Thats a good one!

You'll be lucky to find anything over 2% anymore.

CJM
06-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
LMAO! Thats a good one!

Guess Im lucky, my old IGN account is 4%.

sexysilverado45
06-07-2011, 10:27 PM
idk how much you got but you could put it in a cd then save towards buying some gold. It's something I've been thinking of doing.

Scro
06-08-2011, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by sexysilverado45
idk how much you got but you could put it in a cd then save towards buying some gold. It's something I've been thinking of doing.

Investing in precious metals can be just as risky as trading in the stock market. If it's a significant amount, I would throw it in a long term mutual fund with a long track record (10+ years) and forget about it. Before you do anything with it, go talk with a financial advisor.

smr
06-08-2011, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Scro
Investing in precious metals can be just as risky as trading in the stock market. If it's a significant amount, I would throw it in a long term mutual fund with a long track record (10+ years) and forget about it. Before you do anything with it, go talk with a financial advisor.

great advice.

Pappy
06-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Gold is not the answer...so many get trapped in thinking it s the only way to invest!

The mutual funds are still doing fine here. They took a small hit 2 years ago but are growing well now!

All my stocks were sold in 2007...right before the bottom fell out, rolled them right into mutual funds. Scro is dead on, a good advisor can help you, you just have to be smart and not blow that money, worked right it can really help you many years from now!

BTW..congrats on graduating, hard to believe you boys are done with HS!!!

honda400ex2003
06-08-2011, 05:15 PM
be careful to check on which ones you can have if you need school loans. I wanted to get some stocks or something some time back but decided against it since you have to claim any earnings as income, then you will not get as much aid or as many student loan opportunities.

just a thought,
steve

Tommy Warren
06-08-2011, 06:11 PM
you can invest in Honda....I bet the stocks are low around that place:devil: