PDA

View Full Version : What kind of cam do I have?

redliner_x
06-07-2011, 02:46 PM
It has no name but I has an L on one side and a B on the opposite. Anyone know what it is? I was told it was a hotcam but when we tore my bike apart it was clearly not a hotcam.

redliner_x
06-08-2011, 06:45 AM
So I think my cam is a Duncan. I have been comparing by pictures. At first I compared it to a hotcam and they look nothing alike but when I found the picture of a Duncan, I noticed behind the flange there is a contraption that I have never seen before but the one on my can is exactly the same so it makes me wonder if it is specific to a Duncan cam. There is a picture below of a hotcam and the other is a Duncan. Behind the flange on the Duncan there is something that would suggest you can adjust timing degree although you can't. Behind the flange on the hotcam there is no such contraption.

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc330/redliner_x/b6151319.jpg

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc330/redliner_x/465a782a.jpg

flyboy1294
06-08-2011, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by redliner_x
So I think my cam is a Duncan. I have been comparing by pictures. At first I compared it to a hotcam and they look nothing alike but when I found the picture of a Duncan, I noticed behind the flange there is a contraption that I have never seen before but the one on my can is exactly the same so it makes me wonder if it is specific to a Duncan cam. There is a picture below of a hotcam and the other is a Duncan. Behind the flange on the Duncan there is something that would suggest you can adjust timing degree although you can't. Behind the flange on the hotcam there is no such contraption.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that contraption is the decompression mechanism. They are found on the stock cam, and apparently the Duncan cam as well? But as far as I know, no one transfers them over to Hotcams.

Considering the guy lied about your quad having a 440 kit, I would be willing to bet it has the stock cam in it as well.

redliner_x
06-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Very possible.. I wouldn't be surprised.

redliner_x
06-08-2011, 09:00 AM
If I got the micrometer specs on it could someone here tell me if it is factory or not?

redliner_x
06-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Ok so I did a little research and found out that the contraption is in fact an auto-decompressor for starting. It does not help me find out what the cam is but it did help me find out what it is and what it does.

supertrooper90
06-08-2011, 03:18 PM
the stock cam and the sparks x1 have decomp levers. I would guess its a stock cam.