PDA

View Full Version : Pressure plate?

levi624
06-07-2011, 12:14 PM
I toasted my clutch a few weeks ago I replaced the clutch inspected the basket and hub no grooves. The pressure plate looked glazed and was flaking a little. I used scotch bright to resurface it. Do I need to replace the pressure plate or will it be ok and if it's bad what brand and kind of pressure plate aluminum or one with a steel plate? It's an 05 trx 450r mildly build. I put an honda clutch in it.

DnB_racing
06-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by levi624
I toasted my clutch a few weeks ago I replaced the clutch inspected the basket and hub no grooves. The pressure plate looked glazed and was flaking a little. I used scotch bright to resurface it. Do I need to replace the pressure plate or will it be ok and if it's bad what brand and kind of pressure plate aluminum or one with a steel plate? It's an 05 trx 450r mildly build. I put an honda clutch in it. inspect the plates for warp by using a true flat surface and as far as wear the plates should measure .15mm if you replace one you should do all. also check the springs, the free length should be 44.7mm. and again replace as a set if needed, stock plates are fine but I personally like heavier springs

levi624
06-07-2011, 02:03 PM
The metal and fibers are changed it's just the pressure plate I want to know about.

DnB_racing
06-07-2011, 02:36 PM
The metal and fibers are changed it's just the pressure plate I want to know about. lol.. maybe I should have payed attention to what I read.. if its flaking or warped then yes replace it, if it looks like it had hot spots then it might be warped

the pressure plate can take a good bit of use before replacement, and stock is fine,

most times if the plate is bad they will show up when your parked in gear the quad will creep with your clutch pulled in

levi624
06-07-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm having a really hard time with the clutch lever free play could that be because of a warped pressure plate? I have ridden it for about 30 minutes once I got the new clutch in and was constantly adjusting my free play.

DnB_racing
06-07-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm having a really hard time with the clutch lever free play could that be because of a warped pressure plate? I have ridden it for about 30 minutes once I got the new clutch in and was constantly adjusting my free play. possibly!

does it creep when stoped in gear with your clutch pulled in?

and did you soak your plates in oil before installing?

levi624
06-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Yes I soaked the plates and sometimes I can adjust it out but their is a fine line between creeping and not enough free play.

DnB_racing
06-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Yes I soaked the plates and sometimes I can adjust it out but their is a fine line between creeping and not enough free play. if you set the free play to spec 3/8 to 3/4 and it creeps then something is warped, if all plates are new then it must be pressure plate