PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe this..

redliner_x
06-07-2011, 10:14 AM
I bought a 2000 400ex (440 big bore kit with stage 2 hotcam) off craigslist for $1800.00.. I paid for it, went and picked it up, and brought it home. The first thing I do is check all the fluids and put some fuel in it. We take it down the road to the churt pits and ride little not really opening it up but Riding hard. On the way back me and my buddy drag race from a second gear punch and we both know that his is a 440BB kit. He walks away like I am sitting still. So we do it again and this time when I hit fourth gear the rings blow. We pull it apart and it is a .40 over piston and it doesn't even have a hotcam. I inform the seller and he said he would pay to have the big bore done because he himself was lied to when he bought the bike. When he found out that parts alone were gonna be $315.00 he got a little pissy. Not to mention $150.00 for reseleeve and bore. Which I told him I would pay.. It's a good thing I used paypal.

Budweiserebel07
06-07-2011, 10:33 AM
That sucks. Not sure why hes pissy. He should have known thats around what it would cost when he said he would pay for it.

ish416
06-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Gotta love it when people think a .040 piston adds 40cc.

I had a friend with a "310" 250R. Turns out it was bored .060 over on stock cylinder.

This just reinforces having receipts for anything internal.

At least the seller seems to be attempting to make things right as he was also duped.

Sucks it had to happen to you and the seller.

CJM
06-07-2011, 04:26 PM
I never trust people, yea they might say this or that but without a paper its worthless. I try and save my papers for everything but things do get lost.

What happened to you is pretty much why when ever I buy anything I want it as new as possible and as unmodified as possible. That way you know wtf your getting.

dukedrummer89
06-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Im suprised the guy you bought it from agreed to pay for anything.

And, you bought a quad off craigslist and used paypal? The seller must be dumb if he left them take 4 percent (or whatever it is)

redliner_x
06-08-2011, 03:54 AM
I had the money tired up in paypal from where I put a deposit on another bike and the guy sold it someone else and refunded my deposit so rather then wait like four to five days for paypal to put the money back in my bank account we just did a paypal transaction.

redliner_x
06-08-2011, 03:58 AM
Weisco 440 kits are going for 306.00 with free shipping now. That's a good deal. I have to pay 155.00 to the machine shop but hey a hundred and fifty five bucks and I will have a freshly rebuilt bike. Who would really complain about that? It will be a bad a** machine when it is done.

chronicsmoke
06-08-2011, 05:49 AM
save up for a cam to put in at the same time that you put your BB kit on.. It'll give you more power in the higher RPMs

redliner_x
06-08-2011, 05:53 AM
It already has some kind of aftermarket cam but it doesn't have a name on it. The closest resemblance it the one I have is a Duncan. I sent it to my friend's shop so he could mic it and find out what it is.. After I find out what it is I am going to add the looney tuned duel exhaust kit..

chronicsmoke
06-08-2011, 06:13 AM
nice, I hope you have an aggressive cam, that would wake that 440 up!

You can find good deals on full systems, highly doubt you'll find a LTE setup used.. If you're set on LTE then save up, but you could get a good aftermarket one on here for under 200$ if you shop a little.. my .02..

redliner_x
06-08-2011, 06:36 AM
The cheapest LTE kit I found new was 729.00 but it's worth it to me and that is a weeks pay so I could have it by the end of the month.. I did see a video of a guy with duel HMF's and that would be the bombdigity for me sense HMF is my exhaust of choice but I don't think he got it in a kit.

flyboy1294
06-08-2011, 07:37 AM
How come no one has told him the importance of HD Headstuds and a CRF cam chain?

The cam chain is just a preventative measure, but the studs are a necessity. Without them you run a risk of blowing head gaskets on a daily basis.

Also, $150 for a bore sounds a bit high, I can't remember how much I payed though...

Anyway, the main issue 440's have is heat. Sure, you can run it stock but you will get far more reliability and performance if you do it right.

While you're in there do this:
*Fresh bore and hone
*HD headstuds
*New Timing chain
*Stage 2 Hotcam

Then, put a SPAL fan on it and you will be golden.

If you do all of these preventative measures you won't have to open that engine up for years. If you don't, you may get away with it. Or you may be back on here next month asking how to change a head gasket.
JIMO.

redliner_x
06-08-2011, 07:50 AM
I'm the one putting this bike together. I am well aware of how to change a head gasket. Lol

The head studs have already been ordered and I will take your advice on the timing chain. What I am going to do for the heating issue is add the 700r4 chevy transmission oil cooler with the 4in fan to pull air through it. I got the idea of transcooler from a video on YouTube where a guy used the transcooler without the fan and saved like 30 degrees so with the fan it should be even better..

redliner_x
06-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Here is the video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v%3DXfCOvxQCulk&ved=0CBsQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNF8ujHTzBW13vVDO1tyiwsSMJAXdQ

flyboy1294
06-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by redliner_x
I'm the one putting this bike together. I am well aware of how to change a head gasket. Lol

The head studs have already been ordered and I will take your advice on the timing chain. What I am going to do for the heating issue is add the 700r4 chevy transmission oil cooler with the 4in fan to pull air through it. I got the idea of transcooler from a video on YouTube where a guy used the transcooler without the fan and saved like 30 degrees so with the fan it should be even better..

I wasn't questioning your abilities, I was addressing an issue with the engine mods that we use. ;)

The transmission cooler should help substantially, and the 4" fan is the same thing I recommended. The ones I was talking about are $33 shipped on eBay, and are totally weather proof.

But it sounds like you have a solid build in mind. Be sure to post pics when you get it finished. :macho

redliner_x
06-08-2011, 09:35 AM
I will post build progression pics..

tayyo789
06-10-2011, 12:21 PM
The dual HMF's are not a kit. http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=379722&highlight=dual+exhaust

redliner_x
06-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Thank you for posting that.. I think I will just stick with the LTE setup.

426kidz
06-15-2011, 03:26 PM
couldnt you tell it wasnt a 440 when you test drove it?

JOHNDOE83
06-16-2011, 02:42 PM
there are complete sleeved cylinder kits with 440 pistons for $400 on ebay.

odog
06-17-2011, 08:28 PM
get a fcr carb it will really wake that bike up

MtnEX
06-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
there are complete sleeved cylinder kits with 440 pistons for $400 on ebay.

Yeah, those seem kinda hard to pass up when you need to do cylinder/piston work.

Haven't talked to anyone who has bought and installed one though.

MtnEX
06-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by redliner_x
Here is the video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v%3DXfCOvxQCulk&ved=0CBsQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNF8ujHTzBW13vVDO1tyiwsSMJAXdQ

That link is not working for me ? :(