PDA

View Full Version : 400ex cheap rebuild?

hybridracer686
06-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Ok so im in the process of rebuilding my 400ex and have been shoping around ebay for parts this is what i have found. Namura STD bore 11:1 comp piston @ 68.90, Magmun performance stage 2 cam @94.95, and complete moose gasket kit @ 48.95 all of wich offer free shipping. I've allready bought a new cylinder (sleve slipped rite out of the old one), renthall bars, grips, and a seat with an aftermarket latch. But my question is has any one used these parts in rebuilding there atvs and if so how did they hold up? Should I hold out for say wiseco, hotcam, ect.?:ermm:

hocman123
06-07-2011, 05:23 AM
well i have never heard of that cam but i have of the piston i would would say not to waste ur money on it. i have a friend that rebuilt a banshee with those pistons just because they were cheap. the piston only lasted about 6-8 hours of ride time before the pistons blow up and looked just as nasty as the old blown up pistons. he had to crack the case just ti find all the metal peaces. he rebbuilt it again with wiseco pistons and now has more then 60 hours on it with no problems.

so not only will the piston end up wasteing ur money but when it blows up it will cost u even more money in new pistons and other item u will need to fix it

also the gaskets are not that good of a price i have gotten cosmectic gaskets on ebay for 35 dollers or so. and most poeple on this site will tell u that cosmectic are the best to use

01boneless
06-07-2011, 07:34 AM
well dude not to bring you down but ive heard alot of bad things about namara and the cam ive never heard of and moose gasket are to high and are not good quality go with cometic gaskets(cheap and great) a hotcam and wiseco or je pistons for about 300 for it all giver take a few dollars

Honda#4
06-07-2011, 08:04 AM
The quality of the Namura gaskets is terrible, I tried them when I did my rebuild and the base gasket never sealed right. I've heard of the Pistons being ok but I would rather go with JE or Wiseco.

hybridracer686
06-07-2011, 11:16 AM
thanks for the info no sense in wasteing money on a piston that wont last. i'll just spend the extra cash for the wiseco, cometics, and hot cams and have something that will last. looking for better throttle response and some more pull on top. whats a good slipon to go with these mods and where to start my jetting out at. i will be removeing the choke on the carb as well. and allready have a k&n.

CJM
06-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Agreed, namura is cheap junk. Friends banshee ate them after 5 easy hours. I will only buy wiseco or JE.

Id do a hotcam stage 2, gonna give you plenty of all around power with good midrange to topend. 10:1, 10.5:1 or 11:1 piston and go up one bore size to 406. Guaranteed if you have abit of hours on the EX the bores pretty worn.

Also agreed on cometic gaskets. Make sure you buy the kinda listed as "MLS" aka multi-layered steel and or "viton coated" those are the single best gaskets out there. Dont waste your cash on the felt/paper ones.

hybridracer686
06-07-2011, 10:01 PM
thanks again for the feedback:D