PDA

View Full Version : Signature Lines Poll

Ben
02-20-2003, 05:53 PM
Lets put it to a vote - I am getting alot of requests to take out all banners and images in signature lines and line the number of lines allowed (say 10 lines). The banners and images slow down the page loading. We'll do it the democratic way! :D Poll ends tomorrow (Friday 2/21) at 5pm.

Thanks Guys!

Ben

Pappy
02-20-2003, 06:00 PM
no banners in sigs:macho

Bean
02-20-2003, 06:03 PM
IMO, let people do what they want, i mean, dont let them have 50 banners and 100 lines, but you know, normal sigs, not overdone stuff

AlaskaSpeed
02-20-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Bean
IMO, let people do what they want, i mean, dont let them have 50 banners and 100 lines, but you know, normal sigs, not overdone stuff

It has already been proven that people can't police themselves....

Striker49
02-20-2003, 06:09 PM
I say keep the banners, but put a limit on size. Maybe so many pixels (no larger than 500x100) and/or 30KBytes in size? Just a thought. :)

Foxrage
02-20-2003, 06:18 PM
I have to agree with striker. I like his sig. but i hate the peoples with big sigs. even tho mines kinda big im getten ready to change it.

AlaskaSpeed
02-20-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Foxrage
I have to agree with striker. I like his sig. but i hate the peoples with big sigs. even tho mines kinda big im getten ready to change it.

Your sig is just as bad as guys with banners. Way too much info. How about just a 2002 400ex modded for XC or MX, or TT? I honestly don't care which grips you guys have on your cute lil Hondas.....JIM

BadA$$440
02-20-2003, 06:25 PM
you have no room to talk jim with that huge picture of you and your quad. that just makes it slower for us 56k guys and for what? just so we can see a pic of you and your quad?

Guy400
02-20-2003, 06:25 PM
I say we eliminate all banners. If we enforce a pixel rule than it's just one more thing we have to police. It's a shame for the people with the decent sigs that can control themselves but it's got to be a rule across the board. Some sigs are just outta control and the precise location of your stickers shouldn't be a sig item. Check out mine for example, clean and concise:D

Ralph
02-20-2003, 06:33 PM
my sig will be short as soon as i sell the shee or the limit takes place... so if u sont like long sigs buy my SHEE.

02-20-2003, 06:34 PM
Yea maybe a small banner liek striker's and a 500 word sig tops.

NDrider
02-20-2003, 06:43 PM
You guys are b!tchin now, the sigs rules could be like Traxxas forums.

(6) Keep your sigs to three lines (carriage returns) or less, including your name, a quote, and a URL. Sigs cannot be more than five lines total, including wrap-arounds. Long sigs are just annoying and cause other users to need scroll further down the page.

I am all for short bannerless sigs.

killed300ex
02-20-2003, 07:01 PM
get rid of the pics and banners and then limit the sigs to 10 lines. I think that in 1 lines you can describe your quad enough for people to get the idea if they want to know more that why you make pming.
killed

Woodsrider
02-20-2003, 07:07 PM
The way I see it banners are nothing more than advertising. Wether it be for yourself or for your "sponser". And therefore already in violation of the site rules. As for the lenth of the sigs, Ben has given use a rides section where we can brag about where our fox sticker is and what shocks your going to get when you get your allowance.
I think eight to ten lines is plenty...

CBRSLIDER
02-20-2003, 07:07 PM
I am guilty of the long sig, but will be cutting it down soon. I figured someone would have got to this before me. *Guy, I love the moose. I am by no means an artist but Jim needs a lil shot.:D

Ray

Here ya go Jimmy:

Mxbubs
02-20-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Lets put it to a vote - I am getting alot of requests to take out all banners and images in signature lines and line the number of lines allowed (say 10 lines). The banners and images slow down the page loading. We'll do it the democratic way! :D Poll ends tomorrow (Friday 2/21) at 5pm.

Thanks Guys!

Ben

Good idea. Lets vote. I vote for Bush.:D

flyin#5
02-20-2003, 08:10 PM
this sucks! ppl with sigs are loosing the vote totally. come on guys this is rediculus. put some html code or something so they can only type so much in there sigs and have a small pic or banner in there sig. this site would be so borring without all those banners and sig stuff. i mean that is what makes this site cool. people can look at your signiture and tell alot about them. i dont think they should be really long but i think we should be able to have some type of pic in our sig.

Ryan
02-20-2003, 08:23 PM
Ben is going to have to shut down his own fourm soon :rolleyes: .

I voted no because they do get anoyying. I also think that we should have a minium(Sp) to the amout of letters in our sigs, No offense to some of you people but..... LONG SIGS SUCK :blah . I come to read the posts, not look at these long sigs over and over again. I actually made my letters smaller so my sig didn't look so long ;) . It keeps me out of trouble :macho .

Edit, Thank you LRD 400ex for shortening your sig :D . That was getting on my nerves :macho haha

02-20-2003, 08:23 PM
i think some of the signatures are overkill but last time i checked this wasen't 1st grade even though this is how i feel treated on this site sometimes. but there are a few helpfull people here so i stay.

if your gonna do away with signature then you had better do away with avatars too. the pictures might stimulate us 1st graders and we might get hiper:rolleyes:

Ben
02-20-2003, 08:25 PM
Guys I just spent 10 minutes cleaning this thread up :rolleyes: Please keep the flames private - not in this public forum. Thanks :) Please vote with your votes not flames! :blah

Ben

Ben
02-20-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by MX#132
i think some of the signatures are overkill but last time i checked this wasen't 1st grade even though this is how i feel treated on this site sometimes. but there are a few helpfull people here so i stay.

if your gonna do away with signature then you had better do away with avatars too. the pictures might stimulate us 1st graders and we might get hiper:rolleyes:

Sorry you feel like you are treated like a first grader because of the two rules (no flaming or advertising on here), but some people cannot police themselves (as evidenced in the flame war this very thread turned into) and make it a problem for everyone else. ;)

Ben

flyin#5
02-20-2003, 08:29 PM
lmao sorry ben, a ton of post got deleted holy crap:eek:

Ryan
02-20-2003, 08:31 PM
This site has so many people that you have to inforce alot of rules. Things get out of controll very fast :macho .

Ben, You might want to look into a Moderator that comes on at night, just a thought. It might save you some time with this stuff ;) . I think your still doing a great job with the site though :) .

02-20-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Sorry you feel like you are treated like a first grader because of the two rules (no flaming or advertising on here), but some people cannot police themselves (as evidenced in the flame war this very thread turned into) and make it a problem for everyone else. ;)

Ben well i don't flame and i don't advertise so i really have nothing to say about those rules. i find them fair and try to stay within there limits as much as posible. but when you come and start changing every rule until have nothing left thats kinda unfair. i have 56k and i never have any problems with loading. i understand when signatures are long and go into every tiny detail. i don't even list my quad or mods in mine. i have a simple message becasue i need a oven and the job parts joking around. i think it's pretty simple and fair.

02-20-2003, 08:33 PM

haha nice sig...

Foxrage
02-20-2003, 08:40 PM
I think there should really just be a size limit i would really like to have a small baner i think those are great but if oyu have a small banner you shouldnt have a mod list or something like that.

Ben
02-20-2003, 08:40 PM
well i don't flame and i don't advertise so i really have nothing to say about those rules. i find them fair and try to stay within there limits as much as posible. but when you come and start changing every rule until have nothing left thats kinda unfair. i have 56k and i never have any problems with loading. i understand when signatures are long and go into every tiny detail. i don't even list my quad or mods in mine. i have a simple message becasue i need a oven and the job parts joking around. i think it's pretty simple and fair.

Not sure on what rules are being changed - I will simply turn off the option of putting images in signature lines and put a software limit on the length of signature lines. Many people complained to me about signature lines and images so I put it to a vote. This is being put to a vote for the users - I am not changing any rule, you guys have the option to decide on whether this is a limit you guys want. ;)

Ben

02-20-2003, 08:42 PM
cant we just turn them off if we dont wanna see them

Evan
02-20-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by freeride132
cant we just turn them off if we dont wanna see them

I agree. If you dont like sigs, turn them off. I personally like reading the sigs, it tells you alot about the person, whether they are a dumbarse, stuck on themselves, have no life, etc.

02-20-2003, 08:58 PM
yea there should be acheckbox to take the sig's off and stuff if you dont like them.. hey ben is my site going on the links?

NDrider
02-20-2003, 09:02 PM
Shuting the sigs off is not the issue of this poll.

It is to set a limitation on the sigs line space.

02-20-2003, 09:06 PM
well 1/2 of the people want them and the other half dont so it would be easier having a checkbox...

JOEX
02-20-2003, 09:07 PM
That is quite a limited choice.... but of those two i'll vote for no banners.

I agree with striker though, limit the size of banners in dimentions and file size would be a great alternative.
Isn't there something in the software that can do that like the avatar limits?

Also, Guy's sig should be shortend:

:D :devil :D :devil :D

Joe

PHIL_B54
02-20-2003, 09:24 PM
i agree, no long sigs, but a size limit like earlier mentioned would be a good alturnative. i think a 5-8 line limit would be a fair compromise, it is good in the power train forum to know wht people are set-up on for Q&A

alaska speed i bout died , when you said pple cant police themselves, and a 2 foot sig came up , classic.

i printed off a excelent post one time (have you decked your cylinder) and it was so long and un-useable that i had to go thru and delete the crap out to get the good info. if i remember like 70 pages at the start and i got it down to 40-45.

ben, get'er done:devil

CBW
02-20-2003, 09:49 PM
Well i guess i am kinda slow or something..........cause i dont even know how to get a banner in,,,,,,,,,,LMAO.....

having a banner,,,,,or not having a banner hasnt affected my exriders experiance any.......so :ermm:

QuadJunkies
02-20-2003, 09:50 PM
I liek seeing the sigs....:( But I dont care if I see the banners or not... sO im kinda torn would like to see one and not the other,

Z400central
02-20-2003, 10:13 PM
Keep the banners, just put a physical size limit on it...no bigger than ....x.... and a certain amount of KB and such...I like my banners! :D

Castor-426ex
02-20-2003, 10:14 PM
i dunno and i dun care

Guy400...you crack me up

j37
02-20-2003, 10:31 PM
I hate seeing those banners and pics in peoples sigs b/c when they post a couple times in one thread I have to keep seeing those stupid things. If people are looking to get their company or sponser out there they should just do like Lathers does and highlight it in a different color like red or blue. That gets my attention fine and I dont mind seeing it. But when I have to look at those banners or pics of people thats what pisses me off.:grr

02-20-2003, 11:19 PM
This is the study that I just made...

In just the first page this is all the sigs and such....

Sig's are rediculous. SOME have normal sigs. some others have a freiking Diary going on..

This is in now way directed towards anybody in particular... Just a small study I made..... So please dont start flaming.. if you have a problem with what I have done feel free to PM and do it in private!

This is all the stuff in JUST the first page...

Sponsored by:
C&D Racing, the offical sponsor of EXriders.com and your #1 aftermarket and OEM parts shop! 308-696-7805

2000 300ex - FMF Performax silencer and headpipe, PRM swingarm skid, Renthal bars, pro grips, Maier plastic with addons.

2001 Hayabusa

PAPPY'S PERFORMANCE COATINGS you bring it...i bling it
exatak@aol.com
ppc

sponsored by:
the quadshop
burgard cycle
bowers motor cycle supply

AIM IM: HybridMonster21@aol.com
Email: HybridMonster2@aol.com

District 18, # 5

http://www.merrellextreme.com
http://www.rathracing.com
http://www.wildhare.cjb.net
http://www.Rriders.com

Originally posted by Bean
That kid makes me want to take a sh*t, and i hate taking sh*ts!

1986/88 265r
K&K, Merrell Extreme, Rath Racing, LSR, FMF, Boyseen, Galfer, ITP, Hinson, Maier, Tag, Wiesco, Tag, PRM, Works, Pro Action, Nac's, Pro Design, K&N, Magura, Rocky Mountain.

2002 Cannondale Speed with MX mods

Sponsored by the Quadshop for 2003 MX season

ATV Offroad Fury 2 name: Alaska21 #21
2002 Cannondale Speed with MX mods

Sponsored by the Quadshop for 2003 MX season

ATV Offroad Fury 2 name: Alaska21 #21
2000 400EX:

stock pipe
stock handlebars
stock red plastic
stock rims & tires
stock a-arms with stock swingarm
stock axle
stock carb
stock piston and cam
no head work
modified airbox
"Honda" sticker on front plastic and swingarm bearing carrier area
"EXRiders" sticker on front plastic

2002 4??ex yellow/red
Mods
~Ceet contra decals~Outwears shockwears~Jd Performance +2 a-arms~Front stainless steel braided breaklines~Ls Racing +4 axle~Ls Racing +1 1/4 swingarm~D.I.D. 520 x-ring atv o-ring chain~Elka tripple rate shocks w/o rezzy's, 0 preload, ssd, and ride height adj.~ITP Turftamer 18"~.190 douglas/champion beadlocks with inner rings~ITP front mx holeshots 19"~douglas .190 rims~Renthal 400ex bend handlebars~P.E.P's ez-pull clutch leve~Pb block off~K&n airfilter with prefilter~Ac racing pro-peg nerfbars
99 Banshee project- For Sale
Mods
wiseco hot rod cranks ~new top end~.20 WSM top end rebuild kit~pro design cool heads with 22cc domes~NEW:clutch~fibers~steels~springs~pressure plate~bolt~washer~and more~new kickstart fix kit~fmf powercore 2s with gold series pipes~hinson clutch basket~nacs boost bottle~Mikuni Flat Slide 28mm carbs~K&N clamp on filters with outerwears~Powdercoated black frame~Powdercoated Silvervien Swingarm~Powdercoated black Footpegs~21 inch fast trekkers in front on .190's~AC racing bumper~nacs pbrake block off~terminator clutch cable~renthal~handlebars~new grips~Pro desing teather kill switch~blue transparent coolant lines~
248pc whole bike stainless steel bolt kit~Stainless engine bolts~moved coolant overflow bottle~bearings
and other parts replaced
plus much much more

Nac's Racing / Christian Paul Motorsports / Broque Ward Racing / Quad Shack
District 3 #98
IM me on Lathers98 for AOL
My Racing Site: http://lathers98.tripod.com
Honda 2002 / 87' TRX250r)

"To Be Old And Wise, You Must First Be Young And Stupid"

aol sn Killer300ex1 im me to talk

"If you want to be dumb, then you've got to be tough" Quote from leo
"I swear to drunk im not god"
"The crack was blocked" lmao the good things freinds say when they are drunk lol
Just a regular old stock 300ex with spider trac rear tires

soggyrider

Just a fourhundred. But it keeps me smilin'

'99 400EX-Hetrick Racing Preped Motor for XC, Elka Suspension, Holeshot Tires, HiPer Beadlocks, Graydon Nerfs, Armadillo Rear Skid Plate, PRM Baja Bumper, PRM Belly Skid, Graydon Damper, & E-Series Slip-on.

2003 Sponsors- Champion Motorsports, The Quadshop, Hetrick Racing, and Sidewinder Racing.

Nausty
02-20-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Striker49
I say keep the banners, but put a limit on size. Maybe so many pixels (no larger than 500x100) and/or 30KBytes in size? Just a thought. :)

I agree with stiker, I mean a small banner isn't that bad imo as long as it isn't abnoxiously big and just a waste of space. Although I do agree there should be a line limit.

02-20-2003, 11:46 PM
I think it would be good to limit the size and length but if cant put in the limits on the banner size etc then just eliminate them.

The majority of the banners have been way big and too many sigs read like a freakin novel, and do we care what stickers you have? :rolleyes:

And Alaska Jimbo did anyone ever tell you that you look like a cop :) with a fro top :D lmao

QuadRacer041
02-21-2003, 04:00 AM
i say no more banners and shorter sig's

02-21-2003, 05:03 AM
I vote for LIMITED sigs.. like a few lines describing your machine(s)
& w/NO business or commercial advertising=(rule #8)
if members have site they can refer others to the "www" just below each post?...this seems accpetable ,isn't that what its for ?
Now ...I will reduce the size of my sig ;)

brokeitin3
02-21-2003, 05:15 AM
For the people that dont want to look at or wait for signatures to load should go into their user cp and turn off that feature, you can even turn off looking at someones avatar. Some of you people must have real jobs and not get time to explore all the features here.

PHIL_B54
02-21-2003, 05:47 AM
that doesnt answer the problem, i think there are advantages, say in powertrain, to seeing what set-up they have. you cant help someone jet, or decide on help on a lot of issues without knowing wht has been done, or for that matter you look at whats been done to smoeones ride that has given you advise to see how it applies to you
maybe they serve no purpose sometimes over here in open forum (no flame intended) when we are discussing who got kicked of for breaking rules or whetever, but in the end

sig are good, long sigs are bad

vent over

A4StrokeGuy
02-21-2003, 05:54 AM
I'll agree with the majority the sigs are crazy, i don't care what grips u have! Just tell us your quad and maybe a few sponsors and a web site. Banner are ok as long as there small but this is a great idea to make the site faster.

Jordan

02-21-2003, 06:08 AM
It needs to be limitied period...most of us don't care how many welds are in your frame and how many lug nuts it takes to hold your wheels on...:huh

Braff1
02-21-2003, 06:15 AM
I think that the poll needs to be expanded. You have 4 questions asked in 2 statements.

I think the banners should be banned but there does need to be some restrictions on the number of lines. Some sigs are a little too much. As for the actual number of lines 15-20 lines should be adequate.

Dan

DGR Designs
02-21-2003, 06:21 AM
i kind of like the banners but nothing huge. maybe one the size of strikers banner. i intend to have a new one made soon the same size. i try and keep my sig short. like it is now. but i mean maybe the sigs could be a place to showcase the non ordinary things. for example, my neons under my 4oo and my crazy lightning green metallic PC frame. keep em short, maybe set a size limit on the banners and that kinda thing
~Dave

QuadJunkies
02-21-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by Braff1
I think that the poll needs to be expanded. You have 4 questions asked in 2 statements.

I think the banners should be banned but there does need to be some restrictions on the number of lines. Some sigs are a little too much. As for the actual number of lines 15-20 lines should be adequate.

Dan I agree... The poll should be a lil more expanded herethe way it is now, I cant really vote :confused:

XANDADA
02-21-2003, 06:25 AM
IMO: signatures = advertising space, let them pay if they want the extra space but still put a limit on it. A line or two is cool & should be free. Up to 5 lines and a very small picture = $25 / month.

AlaskaSpeed
02-21-2003, 06:37 AM
I think the pay for space idea is good. Hell, I will pay to have my charging bull and pic of me in my sig. :D

flyin#5
02-21-2003, 06:37 AM
xandada, paying for sigs? most of them are sites that make no money and loose money if anything. if we have to pay for putting links in our sigs then every company on the links section would have to pay too.... and thats not going to happen. i really dont see why you guys would want to stop banners. i mean its way easier to find a persons post becuase you know what there banner looks like. this site would look boring without the banners in sigs too.

Taco
02-21-2003, 06:40 AM
I have a cable connection here at home and a decent computer. Now sometimes when i scroll down through a post I get a lag in my screen from certain banners in Sigs. I find this very annoying and if it's too hard to police, then lose them. It's not like we need em anyways.

DGR Designs
02-21-2003, 06:43 AM
i dont want to pay. now dont get me wrong, i will support the site if i have any money. i havent bought anything yet due to the fact taht i have NO MONEY because i am trying to get my buisness up and running and i cant afford anything else at the present time. and for me $25 friggin a month is a ton of money to dish out just to have that little picture down there $25 american a month is almost $50 up here. and i do not have that kind of cash.

Knight440
02-21-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by brokeitin3
For the people that dont want to look at or wait for signatures to load should go into their user cp and turn off that feature, you can even turn off looking at someones avatar. Some of you people must have real jobs and not get time to explore all the features here.

Hey thanks for the tip:)

Sick0
02-21-2003, 07:08 AM
I would pay to have bull removed.:devil

XANDADA
02-21-2003, 07:12 AM
This is my last post on this topic cause I don't wanna start somethin but if you notice on this page (page 4) DGR designs has twice as much screen space as the primary site sponsor C&D. C&D paid to get that space and you didn't. How is that fair to them? If someone can't afford to pay a measly $25 a month to advertise to a core market then they need to seriously reconsider their business plan. DGR, I only use you as an example cause you were an easy target to make my point - please no offense intended.:blah

PS - Alaskaspeed should pay double if we have to look at that picture of him:macho - just kiddin with ya alaska!

exriderdude
02-21-2003, 07:51 AM
i think small banners should be alright, but sigs like alaskas is just dumb:ermm:

DGR Designs
02-21-2003, 07:58 AM
no offence taken but i mean after i get buisness going, i will probley speak to bed and perhaps C&D to see if they would be interested in carrying my product. not sure yet because i still have a TON of paperwork to do so i can get tax benifits ad all that other legal bs. so no offence taken, i plan to very soon downsize my logo in my sig to one the size of strikers and take out some of the other things also. so i say, keep SMALL banners. in your sig you dont need to list like the brand of product you have unless its a major thing like a pipe or engine builders engine (like chadexer's 505:eek: )

02-21-2003, 09:01 AM
I would pay to have bull removed.

The one in Jims sig or do you mean the entire open forum :eek: :devil

Doibugu2
02-21-2003, 09:10 AM
Is there a way to only have a 1 signature show one time. When someone posts multiple times, it shows multiple sign's.

Could it be modified so that your sign will only show 1 time per thread?

I think we should only allow text or url's. And no more than 6 lines. Just think how much faster the threads would load. Course I got a T1 so I really don't care:blah

660bigdaddy
02-21-2003, 09:21 AM
sigs are too long... who cares if you bought every part known to man for your quad... short and to the point. i usually don't bother reading loooong sigs or long post... jmo

forum
02-21-2003, 10:51 AM
I voted for shorter sigs. about 6 months ago i kinda flamed a guy for having what stickers and in what postion they were on his 400ex. Like heres an example. no word of a lie. "klotz sticker about 3 inches up from the rear fender facing forward ect." but how could you not say something about that.

ChadEXer
02-21-2003, 11:14 AM
Is my signature a little better now???

86atc250r
02-21-2003, 11:16 AM
As the number of kids on the site grows, so do their sig files & banners.

Unfortunately, anymore it's hard to just read thru a thread because of all the banners, animated gifs, and 30 line sigs that show up. Don't you guys think we all see enough banners on the web already?

I know I can just shut off all sigs, but I ask why *I* should be forced to shut off all sigs just because some can't go without abusing the option?

I voted no banners and limited sigs. Personally, I see no reason for any more than 5 lines of sig. space

BTW, you guys jumping on Jim for his sig & what he's saying - HE's Mocking you....

trx400ex
02-21-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by AlaskaSpeed
I think the pay for space idea is good. Hell, I will pay to have my charging bull and pic of me in my sig. :D

Looks like a buffalo to me.;)

QuadTrix6
02-21-2003, 11:21 AM
i say no crazy sigs...:chinese:

02-21-2003, 11:24 AM
Well by the looks of the Poll the huge sigs and banners are gonna be a thing of the past....:devil

If ya don't like it.....then go stand on your front porch..I'm sending the Waaaaaaambulance around to your houses to pic you up....:blah

Blysster
02-21-2003, 11:31 AM
I really don't mind the sigs and banners but there should definitely be a size limits on both. (pixels and lines)

For us 33.6K users it takes forever to load pictures of running buffalos (not naming any names :devil )

Ryan
02-21-2003, 11:59 AM
I definitly think there should be a limit in the amout of letters or lines in a sig. I personally don't perfer banners at all. I don't mind the small ones either.

What some of you guys who do have sigs that take up the hole page, Change the size of the letters so you its not so anoyying :cool: ;) . If you have smaller letters, you can fit more in your sig if you perfer... .

Alasaka, You gotta change that sig :p . Atlease put a moose in there instead of a bull :confused2 .

JLanphear
02-21-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Striker49

I agree

Ben
02-21-2003, 02:57 PM
The signature banners have been disabled per the poll results and my own belief that this is the correct way to go to cut down on bandwidth usage. I'll decide on signature lengths down the road a bit.

Ben :)