PDA

View Full Version : stroker crankshafts

mhewitt
06-06-2011, 06:09 PM
friend of mine told me when u buy a stroker crank u have to run 110 octane fuel because it raises your compression so high, is there any truth to this? i wanna get a stroker crankshaft if i have to replace mine and just wanted to learn a lil about i before i make a decision

mx Eli
06-06-2011, 06:28 PM
in order to run a stroker crank you need a stroker cylinder. for example if you have a lets say +5mm strocker crank (this means that the stroke of this crank in 5mm longer then stroke of the stock crank). so to run this +5mm crank you must have a 5mm taller cylinder, with both a +5mm crank and +5mm cylinder you will have the same compression as stock if you have the same piston compression. ( most company's sell you a crank and matching cylinder together)

most stroker kits come with a high compression piston and that is what makes the need for race fuel

desratt
06-09-2011, 05:53 PM
the +3 millimeter stroked cranks for sell ( hot rods) can be used with a stock piston and cylinder. they do up the compression a bit. I would ask the company you are buying it from.

now the stroke on my 400ex had a special piston that relocated the wrist pin.. others may use a shorter rod so the piston doesn't hit the head. these usually cause alot of side thrust from the piston to the cylinder wall..

DnB_racing
06-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by mx Eli
in order to run a stroker crank you need a stroker cylinder. for example if you have a lets say +5mm strocker crank (this means that the stroke of this crank in 5mm longer then stroke of the stock crank). so to run this +5mm crank you must have a 5mm taller cylinder, with both a +5mm crank and +5mm cylinder you will have the same compression as stock if you have the same piston compression. ( most company's sell you a crank and matching cylinder together)

most stroker kits come with a high compression piston and that is what makes the need for race fuel who makes a +5mm stroke?

Ruf Racing
06-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by mhewitt
a stroker crank u have to run 110 octane fuel because it raises your compression so high, is there any truth to this?

It will raise the compression, very little. John @ Racer's Edge has told me, a +3mm crank will raise the compression .3 tenths.

mx Eli
06-10-2011, 07:42 PM
was just throwing a random number out there:D

desratt
06-13-2011, 08:37 AM
actually trinity told me they can do it it utilizes a spacerplate and longer cam chain.

probablly falicon

New450r
06-15-2011, 01:45 PM
spacer plates is more of a 2 stroke thing to much to deal with on a 4 lots of good choices to go with. Without the plate

450rstroker
07-22-2011, 06:55 PM
3mm crank from hot rods u can run any piston i run a 13.5-1 with mine runs real good! but falicon makes a 3mill a 5mill and a 7mill i think but look at prices hot rods 350est falicon 1300. my opinion get the hot rods 3mm stroker n throw a 12.1 or 13.1 in it since its off already u will be happy

brandonw
07-28-2011, 12:27 PM
if you get a hod rods 3mil also have it balanced to the piston your going to use and use stock honda bearings, the hot rods bearings suck! dont cheap out and skip ballancing you will regret it later

flooringit
08-26-2011, 09:30 PM
cant you just get a piston with the wrist pin higher in the piston and not get a cylinder longer?

DnB_racing
08-27-2011, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by flooringit
cant you just get a piston with the wrist pin higher in the piston and not get a cylinder longer? im not sure who would make them?

the wrist pin is already almost up to the oil ring already, i dont know how much higher it could be... but im sure there could be one custom made

but wouldn't a higher wrist pin only change the height of the stroke not the length? basically it would be like changing the length of the rod not the stroke of the crank

450rstroker
08-27-2011, 12:42 PM
you dont need a longer cylinder or shorter piston to run the hot rods stroker crank