PDA

View Full Version : Best Shocks

hartwill
06-06-2011, 04:32 PM
What's everyone think? I want to know what everyone prefers. Money is no object here (for once lol)

C41Xracer
06-06-2011, 05:02 PM
This is gonna be tough, ive had 4 different sets of shocks (tcs,elka,pep and axis)and once the builder got them setup for me they were all good shocks

97Rocks
06-06-2011, 07:17 PM
PEP arc pb1's w/8clickers.

skyeryder
06-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by C41Xracer
This is gonna be tough, ive had 4 different sets of shocks (tcs,elka,pep and axis)and once the builder got them setup for me they were all good shocks

I totally agree they all make a great shock but until they are set-up perfect for the rider it's hard to judge them, I prefer Axis though

hartwill
06-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by skyeryder
I totally agree they all make a great shock but until they are set-up perfect for the rider it's hard to judge them, I prefer Axis though
Why didn't you vote for them then?:huh
Lol, I figured axis would crush everything and yet no votes.... Where's all the lobo owners?

hontrx265r
06-06-2011, 08:20 PM
I'll vote axis, I like pb1's also but they have nothing to offer that axis doesn't in my opinion, and axis has lots of versatility. I've been able to change shocks into different ones, turn x link into piggy backs, for no extra $$ (because the core parts are the same) They also offer high/low speed comp, also plush ride,and holeshot device. Nuff said!

danhung11
06-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Anything that is specifically set up for you/your bike is going to out perform another brand that is not, period. My stock revalves on my 450R probably would have done better than a basic set of Elkas that were not valved/sprung to my application.

This is a pissing match, it's like Honda vs. Yamaha; Chevy vs. Ford, Etc.

hartwill
06-07-2011, 12:02 AM
It is kinda a pissing match. However I posted this here instead of the 450 forum because I feel the people here are more professional and more likely to vote for what they really have had the best results with and not just what they are running right now or what looks pretty or what the every day media is calling "best". I did this for not only conversation, but also to hear feedback about shocks we dont see being run too much any more such as the ohlins, and also whatever other not so popular brands that might be out there that we arent familiar with, such as this c2p company that I just found out about. And personally I would take a good set of stock 450 revalves over most of elkas products.

troybilt
06-07-2011, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by danhung11
Anything that is specifically set up for you/your bike is going to out perform another brand that is not, period. My stock revalves on my 450R probably would have done better than a basic set of Elkas that were not valved/sprung to my application.

This is a pissing match, it's like Honda vs. Yamaha; Chevy vs. Ford, Etc.

Exactly... not too mention unless you're a pro you really don't need the high end shocks. I rode some Works shocks this past weekend for the first time and they were awesome.

You could put select every one of those on that list and have a great shock. Finding a builder to build them to your likings is key.

troybilt
06-07-2011, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by hartwill
It is kinda a pissing match. However I posted this here instead of the 450 forum because I feel the people here are more professional and more likely to vote for what they really have had the best results with and not just what they are running right now or what looks pretty or what the every day media is calling "best". I did this for not only conversation, but also to hear feedback about shocks we dont see being run too much any more such as the ohlins, and also whatever other not so popular brands that might be out there that we arent familiar with, such as this c2p company that I just found out about. And personally I would take a good set of stock 450 revalves over most of elkas products.

Ohlins TTX's are the shocks I wanted to run, but couldn't afford them. However, after I got the bill on my PB1's rebuild I probably could have bought some TTX's... haha..

hartwill
06-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
Ohlins TTX's are the shocks I wanted to run, but couldn't afford them. However, after I got the bill on my PB1's rebuild I probably could have bought some TTX's... haha..
I would really like to hear a ride report on these. I have yet to even see a set in person let alone ride them. I have always been a fan of ohlins products..

troybilt
06-07-2011, 02:06 PM
I would really like to hear a ride report on these. I have yet to even see a set in person let alone ride them. I have always been a fan of ohlins products..

Talk to Jay at FW Carbon, those are the shocks he runs on his KTM he loves them... Says they are really light for a spring shock.

k7mm
06-07-2011, 04:21 PM
I am going to be running EXIT shocks from ZBROZ racing.I was told that Mike Hallock who designed and builds them used to be owner/part owner of Custom Axis,but sold out around 07 because there was not enough funding to make the Custom Axis shock what he wanted it to be.So in turn he designed the EXITS'to be everything that the Custom Axis was not.I will be running a full set,front and rear on my 250R.I guess I will see!
Keith

hartwill
06-07-2011, 04:31 PM
I was waiting for someone to bring up exit shocks, I forgot to put them in the poll. Custom axis is actually owned by penske shocks, if he was part owner in that he's Probly got the mega bucks to do what ever he wants with this exit company.. keep us posted on the ride report..

k7mm
06-07-2011, 05:28 PM
I was waiting for someone to bring up exit shocks, I forgot to put them in the poll. Custom axis is actually owned by penske shocks, if he was part owner in that he's Probly got the mega bucks to do what ever he wants with this exit company.. keep us posted on the ride report.. I will for sure!I think right about when Penske bought in,is when Mike sold out.He also has a 60 day revalve and respring guarantee on all new EXIT shock purchases,he will revalve and respring until your happy.He was the innovator for long travel suspension,so pro 250R longtravel suspension is definetely something he knows,being that when longtravel fronts came out,all the pros were racing 250Rs'.I feel like this Mike Hallock guy flew under the rader for years.Keith Little is semi retired and could run any shock that he would want to,but he chooses Exits'.Probably because he does'nt have to worry about sponsers and getting paid.I think that says alot for the EXIT shocks.

hartwill
06-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Who voted ohlins? I wanna know which ones you have and a ride report...:macho

FW_cArBoN
06-10-2011, 08:15 AM
I personally can vouch for the Ohlins TTX shocks. We ran them on our 'Project KTM' and mated them with our prototype Titanium a arms, and they were everything I could have ever asked for in a shock setup.

Unfortunately, at the time the rear shock was not available yet, but we did run the front shocks, and ran them hard. We did a lot of setup testing, but honestly they didn't take much to actually dial in.

Very light for a sprung shock, and also very easy to adjust with the comp and rebound on top of the piggyback. The springs were dual rate, and had a very good feel to them. Very responsive and plush feel.

Some photos for you:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w176/FourWerx/44264_622104058518_219707120_35374938_1773174_n.jp g

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w176/FourWerx/38467_449927070707_674470707_6564861_733627_n.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w176/FourWerx/38467_449927075707_674470707_6564862_7493792_n.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w176/FourWerx/DSC_0138.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w176/FourWerx/DSC_0129.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w176/FourWerx/DSC_0139.jpg

socal
06-10-2011, 10:40 AM
I used to see Jeremy Schell(Pro-MX) at the track and his fave was Ohlins!(several years ago)...I currently have Elka and when valved/set up properly they are as good as any Axis or PEP I have owned,but I gotta say my personal favorite are the Fox Evols...They are light weight and the adjustability is incredible!They might take a bit to set up but once you find your sweet spot numbers,its a breeze,and setting ride height for different conditions is a matter of air pressure,nice feature!The small bump compliance is by far better than any sprung shock,period!Seems they rebound at a more progressive rate and they soak up the big hits well...When money allows,I want another set on my R....Thats a nice KTM!!!

hartwill
06-10-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the input on the ohlins.. man that is a sweet quad too. Nice job on that one..

jcs003
06-10-2011, 03:28 PM
HLS. best price and performs as well or better than the high end parts.

DnB_racing
06-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by FW_cArBoN
I personally can vouch for the Ohlins TTX shocks. We ran them on our 'Project KTM' and mated them with our prototype Titanium a arms, and they were everything I could have ever asked for in a shock setup.

Jay are there any plans for any 250r Titanium a-arms.. those are beautiful,
but I wouldnt expect anything less, your parts are all works of art and all sick!!!
those ohlins and arms are what I dream about..lol

I know you like the new quads but please dont forget us diehard 250r owners!!

troybilt
06-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing

I know you like the new quads but please dont forget us diehard 250r owners!!

Not if I can help it... I pester Jay daily about 250r stuff!! :D

RyanWsly
06-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
HLS. best price and performs as well or better than the high end parts.

shocks work very well durability is an issue.

Meat
06-10-2011, 09:03 PM
can't believe that PEP has 22 votes. They're old school shocks....

danhung11
06-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Meat

PB1's are top notch new age shocks. My old school 8-click big bottle PEP LT's are a pretty plush ride. :ermm:

hartwill
06-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Meat
I'm pretty sure 80% of the people on this forum are old school. But id pick you guys over them new 4 poke riders any day.

Meat
06-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Im just messin' with yas. peps are cool.

HAYESTRX250R
06-11-2011, 08:23 AM
My older style Ohlins have held up excellent. Parts are supposedly harder to get but possible. The clickers adjust to a wide range of settings you can certainly feel. I'm looking for another set of them or Axis for this build I'm working on.