PDA

View Full Version : Hard starting when hot

jackrb100
06-06-2011, 12:49 PM
My bike is crazy hard to start if I stall it when it's hot. I got tangled at the start of a race the other day and stalled the bike, it took be about 5 minutes to get it to start. It seems to me like it gets flooded because when I turned the fuel of and pinned the throttle several times it started after a few kicks. I was also using the hotstart. Any sugestions. Valves are 100%

DnB_racing
06-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by jackrb100
My bike is crazy hard to start if I stall it when it's hot. I got tangled at the start of a race the other day and stalled the bike, it took be about 5 minutes to get it to start. It seems to me like it gets flooded because when I turned the fuel of and pinned the throttle several times it started after a few kicks. I was also using the hotstart. Any sugestions. Valves are 100% when you say valves are 100% is that the clearance or the seats??

worn valves act up when hot.. what are you running for a spark plug, and what octane fuel, the higher the octane the cooler it will run

mx Eli
06-06-2011, 02:22 PM
yea makes sure th valves are in adjustmetn like he said also could be are jetting or timing

jackrb100
06-07-2011, 02:25 AM
I meant that the clearances are spot on. And the head has only about 10 hours on it. I'm using 118 octane mixed 50/50 with 94 pump fuel. This is what I was told to use by Dan at dasa. When you say jetting would affect it would it be to rich or lean. And I use the stock plug.

mikeasmith_75
06-07-2011, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jackrb100
I meant that the clearances are spot on. And the head has only about 10 hours on it. I'm using 118 octane mixed 50/50 with 94 pump fuel. This is what I was told to use by Dan at dasa. When you say jetting would affect it would it be to rich or lean. And I use the stock plug. [/QUOTE

Your pilot is too rich, you need to go down a size or two. What year is your bike?

DnB_racing
06-07-2011, 02:56 PM
are you absolutely sure of your timing? if your timing is perfect and valves are perfect then its got to be jetting. what does your spark plug look like? and make sure to gap and properly index the plug

I would be absolutely sure of the timing

if you have changed anything like a thinner head gasket or decked the head, you might be off by a half a tooth or less,

are you running an aggressive cam or high compression,

you might want to check if the timing mark. if it isn't lined up perfectly,
then make sure that its lined up so its not advanced at all, with high comp. and higher octane fuel its better to be on the retarded side of the mark then the advanced side,

or get an adjustable gear to make sure you have it perfect, with all the tolerances of the cam chain, gaskets thickness, piston and head tolerances, its common for the timing to be slightly off, and the more high strung your motor is the more picky it gets with starting and timing is critical