PDA

View Full Version : white smoke

J_bob_28
06-05-2011, 10:47 PM
My 06 has just recently started running bad. Just recently it has startin puffing a pretty big cloud of white smoke at the same part on the track once a lap. Its a big table top out of a corner that has a big long wfo sandy straightaway before it. I dont jump the whole table and land pretty hard every time. When I bounce back down to flat ground the LTR completely cuts out and almost kind of backfires leaving a large puff of white smoke behind me. It will run fine right after this and will also do it again in the same spot everytime through this section. Its wierd. Today i took it out again and same thing.... It is now harder to start and doesnt want to idle. It also started to smell like it was runing really hot and a little bit of coolant was dripping from the overflow. It also seems like it is down on power, but it was also very dry slick today. I always stop after it cuts out like that. only rode 2 laps today damnit! any ideas?

timay4337
06-08-2011, 01:01 PM
sounds to me like you need to replace your piston rings and head gasket, you could have a blown head gasket which puts pressure into the cooling system and causes it to overflow and the quad to overheat... tear it down and see what it looks like.

Jim417mx
06-09-2011, 05:42 PM
yep, time for a new piston, and probably a new cylinder, ltr's are nikasil cylinders and cant be "bored out" you will need to replace the piston and cylinder unless your cylinder walls are still good.

scotturban
06-12-2011, 07:21 PM
yep white smoke is bad sign, seen it many times out of my kawi lol piston is cooked for sure,

J_bob_28
06-15-2011, 05:08 PM
ya thats kind of what we were leaning towards. We got a hard 4 or so years out of it at the track and dunes with all the regular maintenence. can't be too bummed out. hopefully the cylinder isnt all marked up. thx guys..

ridehonda400ex
06-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Okay just so you all know, you can get a new nikasil layer put on if the cylinder gets bored, or just sleeve it and then you dont have to worry about nikasil. Just trying to save you guys some bucks:)