PDA

View Full Version : Elecrical issues

OldGuyonaQuad
06-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Just what I need three days before my big trip.

Ok last time out it wouldn't start we figured it was the fuse because the starter switch assy wont stay seated. The isnt a hole in the pro taper bars to keep it in place and it spins sometimes when I go to start it.

Anyway long story short, water inn the headlight cable, the starte relay is shot, still no lights. When we turn on the head lights the neutral light shuts off.

any suggestions?

NMills
06-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Well.. most bars don't have holes... on the switch assembly there are screws... .carefully tighten them up so it clamps the bar... tthat's how they all are...

And if you are turning things on and other things are goin out... then i'd say you have a crossed lead somewhere...

are you blowin fuses???

DnB_racing
06-05-2011, 01:39 PM
if you still have the water in the cables then its more then likely shorting out the power wire,

as soon as you put the switch on power goes right to ground , and basically shorting out before the natural light wire,,

here is a wire schematic ... notice the neutral light is spliced off the same hot wires as the head lights

Budweiserebel07
06-05-2011, 02:42 PM
that happened to me. luckily when i bought mine it came with a whole new wiring assembly. that sucks bro

OldGuyonaQuad
06-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Yea sure enough there was was water in some of the other plugs. I hit it with the hair dryer and let it dry out for a while. same results now only neutral light is barely lit.

It starts if you short out the starter, so does that mean my relay is bad? Also do you think the harness hat to be replaced?

I am going to call a local dealer to see if he can help me by Wednesday (I know right).

DnB_racing
06-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad
Yea sure enough there was was water in some of the other plugs. I hit it with the hair dryer and let it dry out for a while. same results now only neutral light is barely lit.

It starts if you short out the starter, so does that mean my relay is bad? Also do you think the harness hat to be replaced?

I am going to call a local dealer to see if he can help me by Wednesday (I know right). i doubt there is anything wrong except the water, all the issues your explaining is from something going to ground, is there water in the light switch?if so then that's definitely all the problems,

notice in red that all problems are common to the same hot wire.. I would try disconnecting the connector ive pointed to and jumping the quad if everything works you know were the problem is

NMills
06-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad

I am going to call a local dealer to see if he can help me by Wednesday (I know right).

Go ahead.... call the dealer... i bet you'll get the same info from him that you are gettin here... tho the dealer may give you a little bit of attitude for asking... atleast that's how it is up here... Just double check all the wires... make sure they are all clean and connected properly... DRY is a plus... if you have water goin into a connection.. then fill the gap with dielectric grease or somethign similar... that should help your problems..

OldGuyonaQuad
06-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Hey guys thanks so much for your input and reassuring me where the problem is. I was suggesting the dealer only out of panic. I have never had a problem with either machine I owned up until now, when I am packing for a 5 day weekend to Hatfiled/McCoy. I wasn't questioning the info I was just going into panic mode.

I am going to take it to one of the guys who rides with us who specializes in electrical diagnosis. Thanks for the wiring prints and suggestions, I will let you all know how I make out. Fingers crossed.

OldGuyonaQuad
06-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Update:

Yep you guys were right on track. One of the pins on the 24 pin connector was black when we took a closer look at it and saw that is was broken. By buddy not only rapired the pin but he took the two connectors off of his machine (this is y we all ride 400's) and hooked me up since he can't make it on the upcoming trip. There is now way I would be riding come Thursday if I had taken it to a dealer.

Thanks again for you help guys it's nice to know we have a medium such as this to get info from people who are in the know and or have gone through similar problems.

Off to WV .....youtube links to follow shortly