PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Fender Straps...??

stever250r
06-05-2011, 07:38 AM
I am just wondering how necessary the two (3 bolt) straps are that run down each side of the 86-87 Fuel Tanks are..

My parts bike for My Laeger build has a nice 87 Tank that I plan on using, but its missing the two side straps...I can grab some off ebay fairly cheap, but I am just wondering if leaving them off will make any difference since they did away with them on the 88-89 model tanks anyhow...

I am wondering if I really need to get them, or if I should forget the 87 tank all together and buy a used 88-89 model tank for the Laeger Frame...

I do not want to have any gaps or fitting issues where the fenders and seat nest with the Fuel Tank.....

If I use the 86-87 tank, do I have to use the 86-87 style seat pan, or does it make any difference?

Anyone?

250Renvy
06-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Every 88/89 I've had, has had fender straps glued on basically to the fenders. I think they are just a cushion for the tank to fender.

If you like the tank and can find fender straps cheap, I'd go for it. Makes life eaiser.

If you go with a newer tank there should be no issues and I don't really think there will be issues without using them either though. It's just a fitment thing. It should fit fine, but your tank and fender will rub, leaving marks on both your tank and fender.

The seats - I think you should use an 88/89 on a Laeger frame. They will both mount up, but the 86/87 mounts are in slightly different locations making the gap.

stever250r
06-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Great.... Thank you very much!

danhung11
06-05-2011, 03:09 PM
They are not necessary, all aftermarket tanks do not have those cushions for what it's worth. My Fullbores and Lakers fit seamlessly with Clarke tanks.

I've always run 86-87 pan with 88-89 foam. I like the height better. Check out hi-flite seat foam, their foam will give a soft cushiony feel.