PDA

View Full Version : What r guys running for gearing?

matt1106
06-05-2011, 06:35 AM
i have an 06' 450r i just got and i plan on racing in in gncc and harescrambles. i love it so far except for one thing, im unsure about the stock gearing for a woods race. if its a faster track, i dont think it would be an issue, but for slower tracks it seems a little too tall. does the bike benefit from dropping a tooth in the front sprocket? or does it make u have to shift too often? i dropped a tooth on my 400 and it reduced shifting a ton, but the 400 has a way slower revving motor than the 450, it seems like the 450 would run through the gears to quick. wat do u guys run for gearing? and one other random semi-related question. how many of u guys powershift you bike on a normal basis? ive made it a habbit that when im going fast i do it all the time. how bad is for the tranny?

440ex. ehhh!!
06-05-2011, 08:36 PM
the fact that you went a tooth down in the front and you had to shift less, doesn't make sense. that cause you to have shorter gearing, just like going up in the back.
unless you mean that due to the track speed you were not in between 2 gears the whole time, like you'd be able to stick with the same gear from low to high, instead of coming out in mid and then shifting up before the next corner and so on.

hopefully that makes sense to you. lol.
i have an 05, and stock gearing is pretty tall to begin with, so i don't think it would hurt you to go down a tooth in the front. it just means you will have better Accel and less top speed.

As for power shifting, i only use the clutch when taking off, and when shifting down. I always just let off the gas and shift up and its been fine.

Josh

BlaineKaiser450
06-05-2011, 09:34 PM
I always ran 14/38 with 18 inch tires. The 18s were the same as mildly gearing it down, so drop a tooth in the front or add a few in the rear and it would be fine I'd say. One tooth in the front is equal to 3 in the rear

DnB_racing
06-05-2011, 10:16 PM
stock gearing on 06 is already 13/38 and I thought it was to low and went to 14/38
the 14 up front means you have to go a little faster, it might not be good for going real slow. but you dont want to go slow anyways...

if your thinking about dropping to 12 ( one down from stock) then that's way to low, once you get used to the quad you'll be fine with the stock,

after time you will get faster and smother and you might even like the 14 even better its perfect for very fast 2nd gear woods riding

on the 04/05 stock gearing is 14/38

you might still be trying to drive it like its an Ex . keep stock gears and keep your rpms a little higher then you used to with your 400.
the 450 is definitely harder then the 400 in tight woods,
but once you get used to it its much faster, but you have to be on full concentration at all times,

the 400 is much more relaxing to ride in the tight woods with

matt1106
06-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
stock gearing on 06 is already 13/38 and I thought it was to low and went to 14/38
the 14 up front means you have to go a little faster, it might not be good for going real slow. but you dont want to go slow anyways...

if your thinking about dropping to 12 ( one down from stock) then that's way to low, once you get used to the quad you'll be fine with the stock,

after time you will get faster and smother and you might even like the 14 even better its perfect for very fast 2nd gear woods riding

on the 04/05 stock gearing is 14/38

you might still be trying to drive it like its an Ex . keep stock gears and keep your rpms a little higher then you used to with your 400.
the 450 is definitely harder then the 400 in tight woods,
but once you get used to it its much faster, but you have to be on full concentration at all times,

the 400 is much more relaxing to ride in the tight woods with Yea, i think its just going to take some getting used to.. normally with the 400 u kinda want to short shift bc theres no point in revving the motor out. prob just gonna have to get used to the diff motor. ive noticed i get arm pump alot quicker on the 450 too bc i havent quite figured out how to be smooth on it yet. hope i figure it out soon, i have a race in three weeks haha. and as far as the 400 having to shift less with a tooth dropped down in the front, u'd have to ride it to understand. in the woods it was awsome, with such a heavy flywheel and all that torque u could pretty much just put it in 3rd and go. first gear was pretty much eliminated except for starting. it was nice.

440ex. ehhh!!
06-06-2011, 06:58 AM
i had a 440ex. i know what you mean. i never even started in 1st gear for my races. it was always 2nd gear launches .

jpfmotors
06-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Hey matt1106 stay with the stock gearing witch is 13-38 if you are running 20 inch rear tires if you are running 22 rears then go with 39 tooth rear thats what have been running for the races around hear and gncc just takes getting use to the 450r

fastredrider44
06-06-2011, 01:49 PM
I run 14/38 (stock) on an 05, with 20 inch tires for XC and GNCC. I like the top speed of the gears vs lower gearing, that way I can use more motor and less clutch. It's hard to do coming from a 400, but I did it.

matt1106
06-06-2011, 08:03 PM
ya i think i just need to break the habbit of shortshifting like you do on the 400. i had mine for 9 years so its gonna be a tough one to break haha. once i get in the hang of keeping the motor in higher rpms im sure ill be fine