PDA

View Full Version : 2011 50 which pipe?

bradyn24dad
06-03-2011, 09:19 PM
We have a 2011 drr 50 and its all stock now but I've been trying to get it out of it's bog for months and I'm so busy I cant find the time and I'm to green to do it myself. I was wondering if the newer 90cc pipe works good on the 50 and if you think it would help it run better. I was on here before and everyone tried to help me with the bog and I changed the spring and now were getting into carb and I'm lost. Need major help!!!

nitrofish
06-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Hey Shawn. No luck still? I think we are gonna cruise down to Norm's tonight, look us up, maybe we can figure it out. Matt.

bradyn24dad
06-04-2011, 07:35 AM
No I've been going crazy with work and by the time I get home there is no time. Yes we will be going down tonight so I'll find you. I forgot all about it because I'd of went down for the practice today. I dont even have my trailer done either so this is going to be fun bring these quads down. Alright I'll see you there. Shawn

nitrofish
06-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Sounds good, look forward to meeting you. Work has been crazy for us too, the weather (rain) makes you work the nice days and nothing to do on the rainy ones! See ya. Matt.

kfx450
06-05-2011, 02:46 PM
I am pretty sure the 2011 have the same pipe on the 50 as on the 90.

EthansDad
06-06-2011, 08:24 AM
yea, sometimes I really just want to throw my 50cc out the window. that setup is tricky at best to get it right. bottom line for you - IT WILL TAKE TIME!. there is no bolt on magic. my guess is its in the carb. I can tell you my jetting on my carb, but it may not be 100% right for you. in fact, I doubt it will be. you need to get a good baseline knowledge of what's happening inside your carb, what each circuit (jet) does, and how to test for lean / rich conditions at each circuit. there is no way to shortcut that. I've been looking for about a year for a jetting shortcut, there isn't one.

Step one - read up a bit. here are some links get you dangerous on jetting.
jetting howto (http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-motocross-offroad/17227-spankeys-jetting-guide-info-2-stroke-riders-must-have.html)

step two - test and apply what you read. you will need to get comfortable switching jets and listening / looking / riding each setup until you have what sounds / rides the best.

step three - document! write your jetting down. also write down the temp / altitude for that day. you can use that later as the temp goes up down to know which direction to adjust (hotter outside temp = leaner jets, colder = richer jets).

as a baseline, I'd recommend starting with a 42 pilot and 115 main and using the guide above to see where you need to go.

EthansDad
06-06-2011, 09:02 AM
I'll also share a story as to how important jetting is on that bike. At our last national race at Steel city, I neglected checking jetting until about 15 min until going to staging. I noticed right away, jetting was off, way off. we run the 2010 cylinder, 90cc pipe and 21mm carb, prob same as yours. I did some last minute changes, all in the wrong direction. no time, rolled it to the line. the gate dropped moto 1 and our bike went "boooooooog" and rolled the first 5-10 ft until it hit the main jet. bottom line, my bike was the last up the hill.

I was quite pissed I let that happen. totally avoidable and my fault. moto 2, I spent some quality time with jetting, even making some last minute changes since I noticed the temp went up 7 deg. gate dropped on moto 2, our bike pulled a wheelie out of the gate and our bike completely cleared the gate (rear wheels) before the next quickest bike had its front wheels on the gate! we pulled the hole shot, which is rare for us in that class, and went on to win the race.

the change in jetting from moto 1 to moto 2 was 2 pts on each circuit. so, bottom line, fine tuning made the difference between last in the holeshot and first. no other changes done on our bike.

SPEND THE TIME TO LEARN JETTING....you'll be happy you did.

-EA

RCR_531
06-06-2011, 09:31 PM
I have seen racers with their own weather station setup to tune the carb at the track. Can't wait FI to make it to these little quads.

desratt
06-09-2011, 05:59 PM
change the rollers to supper light ones

yea by the time fi gets here my kid will be in the 50 yearold class

bradyn24dad
06-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Kfx 450. I was wondering if it was the same pipe cause it looks exact. There's a waist of money again. Thanks though.

Ethans dad. Thanks for getting with me I'm a little slow getting back on cause I travel around for work alot. We were just talkng about you last week at the race (me and matt) (nitrofish) matt said you know these carbs like a book and now I have a new one that run aweful and now my 90 runs with a straight bog. Boy I'm going to be reading up alot on this stuff. It's crazy how much time you have to put into these things but it's true one sec it runs great and then the next it hardly moves. Well I'll let you know how it goes on the jetting and I'm not sure what stock rollers are in it but a few people said lighten then up to maybe a 3 and use the red spring. so Ill try that too. Thanks for your time.

kfx450
06-11-2011, 06:57 PM
I run a stage 6 50. that is supposed to run similar to the new stock top end. I run 3 gram rollers and a 1000 white koso spring. just dropped the main to a 105 with all of the rest of the settings the same. these rollers are a little light at first but work great after the spring breaks in. bike will not bog out no mater how big the hill is will spin the tires first.

jayme

after the race next week end bring the bike up and we will make it rip. should have everything here.

bradyn24dad
06-16-2011, 05:47 PM
hey thanks for the info. I just got back in town again and now wont have to leave for a while. Yeah whenever you have time I'll bring it over. That would help alot. I just seen on ebay there's a 08 hetrick cylinder for a 50 that came off a national quad for like 240 and I didnt kow how that would do. Thats what someone else told me about the 3 gram and a lighter spring but I think they said red but I just put in a while ago the 1500 and thats deffinatley not it. I'll stay in touch and I'm going down to the race sat but I dont know if he's racing cause I wont have the parts here fast enough. The 90 he road last week sounds like it has 3 years of carbon and has the super bog. thanks again