PDA

View Full Version : Death grip!

TheLane
06-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Anyone got any tips and tricks of how to lessen the amount of death grip you get during racing ( or what ever type of riding you do)

I dont get it during practice, but for some reason, sure enough every race i get it.

Pappy
06-03-2011, 11:52 AM
In all honesty...more and more racing. Grips, gloves, bar bend, vibration, arm pump, hand strength all account for it, but the more seat time you get during an actual race the faster you can overcome it.

The pro riders still suffer from issues like this.....I hear it from them all the time!

fastredrider44
06-03-2011, 12:57 PM
I agree. Seat time. That way you know what the bike is going to do before it happens, and know if you need a death grip or not. I have to concentrate on loosening my grip during races when I start getting arm pump.

slightlybent47
06-03-2011, 01:40 PM
The death grip will create arm pump for sure. I always tell myself to relax and just have fun and that helps.
Put a note on your tank to remind yourself to relax. When your practicing your adrenalin is at a lower level so you don’t grip as tight, but when you race everything changes.
This is where your mental prep comes in, most of this is all in your head and you have to think differently. This is another area where consistency pays off.

Lasher
06-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Breathe!

I found that I was holding my breath during the race. Once I focused on breathing more, I never got arm pump again.

If you have to pick parts of the track where you must take a breathe, you will be surprised at how much you hold your breath.

TheLane
06-03-2011, 01:50 PM
hm, all of this is good info. I found that if i start pounding water back at least 2 days before the race that helped with arm pump.
and since ive started working out my arms my pump has pretty much gone away completely.

But the death grip i just cant seem to get rid of. maybe i need to get one of those gripper things that work out your hand muscles.

DnB_racing
06-03-2011, 02:02 PM
also a good griper seat cover helps you feel planted and more in control, all controls positioned perfectly and make sure your grips dont move, and pay attention to the position of your arms, i get worse pump with my arms lower, if I keep my elbows at a good angle it helps me

CJM
06-03-2011, 03:29 PM
I usually get the death grip, never any arm pump really tho.

I found better grips-in my case ODI lock ons and nerfs helped me feel much better planted on the quad. Next stem is gripper seat cover and a +1 stem.

TheLane
06-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Yeah arm pump isnt an issue for me anymore. its that darn death grip, has anyone found that working out your hand helps?

DnB_racing
06-04-2011, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by TheLane
Yeah arm pump isnt an issue for me anymore. its that darn death grip, has anyone found that working out your hand helps? as far as working your hands, if your an office worker and only use a pencil and keyboard then it wouldn't hurt, but if you work construction or farming then I cant see it really helping much, as your always using your hands, it all depends on the amount of abuse your hand get, someone working a hammer or a shovel all day isn't going to need to work his hands more

you have to feel like your not going to fall off the quad, a slick seat and loose or worn grips will make you feel like you have to hold tight,

some good pegs also make you feel like your stuck to the quad, and you wont have to hold so tight, its about position and being comfortable with the position of controls so it still feels like your in control while shifting or breaking, if the controls arnt setup just right for you it feels like your letting go of the bars,

the way mine is now setup I almost feel like I cant fall off,,,(false sense lol)

pgregg85
06-04-2011, 07:38 PM
The only other way I can replicate the feeling other than riding is to ride some extreme down hill sections on a mountain bike. If you get a steep, rough and rocky down hill section it can actually be equal or worse arm pump than motocross.

rbgnwa45
06-04-2011, 09:09 PM
If you get it only in practice than it's all in your head? Try having more fun with it, race like your pay cheque isn't dependant upon winning. Be content with placing lower than first, and worry about being more consistant. Get seat time, and even workout your arms, not even lifting weights, just another hobby. After drumming for an hour a day for a couple years my arms never tire. I'm sure when you're at a gate your adrenaline is pumping and you're trying to be a rocket shot out of a cannon, but it probably gets even worse when the pack widens up and you realize that you have to catch up.

If it isn't in your head than it's in your suspension, hopefully it's predictable.

... and maybe even wear gloves that are thin on the palm side so that you feel more connected to the bars by skin contact, maybe it helps if it is an in-your-head thing!