PDA

View Full Version : generator break in

timo_d135
06-02-2011, 09:59 AM
my stepdad just got a generator and i was wondering what would b the best way to brake it in. i know a lot of people brake in thier wheelers hard but with a generator is it really important

rooster300ex
06-02-2011, 10:15 AM
I sure its been ran before to make sure it works. Just run it. If u wanna break it in let it warm up and cool a few times with out putting a load on it. Cycle it like that.

slightlybent47
06-02-2011, 11:26 AM
No need to break one in like a bike or a car, a generator runs at one speed and doesn’t rev up and down like a motor in a bike. You could run it through a few heat cycles for about 10 minuets at a time, but I’m sure just a few cycles will do.
I have 3 generators and I didn’t break them in at all and they have been running fine for years.
The most important thing is not to let them sit too long without running them every once in a while. I run mine about 10 minuets a month to keep them running and don’t forget to put a load on the generator by plugging something in while you run the motor. You want to exorcize the generator part as well.

Oh and don’t forget to keep the oil changed regularly.

timo_d135
06-02-2011, 11:31 AM
k thanks guys good info