PDA

View Full Version : american star racing a-arms?

pmg8134
06-02-2011, 09:17 AM
is anybody runnning these? do they hold up? so cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ASR-TRX-400EX-400X-2-Long-Travel-Racing-A-Arms-BLACK-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e7b72c17QQitemZ36036 9826839QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

CJM
06-02-2011, 03:52 PM
You get what you pay for, they are cheap crap last I recall.

pmg8134
06-02-2011, 05:31 PM
thanks man that`s what i`ve been hearing. funny how some stuff can look so good depending on how it`s advertised

brokenmike
06-03-2011, 06:45 AM
I have had them on my 400 for over 7 years and only had to replace the outer Heims once. I love them. I ride in mud, water, fine sand, and rocks. They hold up great. I would definitely buy a set for my other quads.

fearlessfred
06-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by pmg8134
is anybody runnning these? do they hold up? so cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ASR-TRX-400EX-400X-2-Long-Travel-Racing-A-Arms-BLACK-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e7b72c17QQitemZ36036 9826839QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories the ones i had for my cannondale and all the other one i have seen are very heavy and the rod ends they come with are very cheap and dont last long . it used to be that you could order them with upgaded rodends.the ones i had were free and i still did not keep them very long,if that tells you anything

scotturban
06-05-2011, 12:32 PM
I have seen some people run asr on a lot of raptor 250's and dont seem to have any problems, Personally i wouldnt buy the american stars and just save up a little bit of money and get something a little nicer

beastlywarrior
06-05-2011, 12:39 PM
their good, their what all of us warrior guys are using

fearlessfred
06-05-2011, 01:30 PM
if you want the best suspension for your money,dont buy the cheapest and heavyest arms out there. unless they have changed since i tryed them, they are made out of mild steel heavy walled tubing and not light weight 4130 cromoly. any time you can reduce unsprung weight (all of the upper a arm and less than halve the lower is unsprung weight) you will have the potential for a better working suspension.the factorys and the pros all make an effort to keep unsprung weight to a min.when we add longer arms(which is worth doing),we are allready adding weight and should keep that to a min. buy using lightweight mat. i dont doubt that longer than stock asr arms can be better than stock but you can do better by buying lighter but more expensive arms

pmg8134
06-06-2011, 07:22 AM
that makes alot of sense. going to look into unsprung weight, this is new to me. i have a pretty decent set of long travels now just need to narrow up a little bit for what I want to do. I am sick of squeaking Heim joints that for sure. In order to keep my shocks I`m looking at a plus two long travel and not everybody is offering that option. appreciate your .02 people

fearlessfred
06-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by pmg8134
that makes alot of sense. going to look into unsprung weight, this is new to me. i have a pretty decent set of long travels now just need to narrow up a little bit for what I want to do. I am sick of squeaking Heim joints that for sure. In order to keep my shocks I`m looking at a plus two long travel and not everybody is offering that option. appreciate your .02 people have you thought of running the 4+1 inset wheels,because that will make it narrower. i dont think its 2 jnchs tho and teflon lined rodends are not so noisy

pmg8134
06-06-2011, 09:13 AM
i just trashed both my front rims last trip...how convenient huh? I`m in the process now of buying 4:1`s just haven`t fiquired which ones yet.

jacobw
06-06-2011, 01:05 PM
they are decent arms they have a lifetime warranty and they are made out of chromoly like all the other arm companies. They used to be ok arms but have made lots of changes in design to make them better than the old ones i would not hesitate to buy them if you are on a budget. Your shocks is what makes the ride not the arms anyways just buy decent shocks

riotact
06-06-2011, 01:30 PM
I would get the Burgards for $450 before I got the ASR's at $525

fearlessfred
06-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by jacobw
they are decent arms they have a lifetime warranty and they are made out of chromoly like all the other arm companies. They used to be ok arms but have made lots of changes in design to make them better than the old ones i would not hesitate to buy them if you are on a budget. Your shocks is what makes the ride not the arms anyways just buy decent shocks you know more about them than i .the owner built me a set for free,for me letting him use my stock arms for mockup. the ones i had were heavy and the rod ends wore out quickly and the arms were made out of mild steel not 4130 .this was for my cannondale in 2003. thanks for correcting me.their weight is the only real issue, because rodends can allways be replaced with quality ones

jacobw
06-06-2011, 06:05 PM
the new ones are chromoly the old ones may have been dom tubing. There website states they are all made out of 4130 chromoly tubing with a lifetime warranty against structural. I know the stock joints wear some but they have an upgraded joint they sell that is better than what comes on the arms

scotturban
06-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by riotact
I would get the Burgards for $450 before I got the ASR's at $525
x2 we have had 2 sets of standard travel burgards on z400's with no issues at all, and had a burgard stem on my buddys yfz, no issues with any of there stuff so far

riotact
06-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by scotturban
x2 we have had 2 sets of standard travel burgards on z400's with no issues at all, and had a burgard stem on my buddys yfz, no issues with any of there stuff so far

There are even a few used sets on Ebay right now that are cheaper then that but used of course.How do you like their stem?I'm thinking of getting one since my stock one is tweaked pretty good.

I do remember hearing that the earlier ones were dom but you are right,they are chromoly now.You just need to get the upgraded joints and their supposed to be good.

scotturban
06-07-2011, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by riotact
There are even a few used sets on Ebay right now that are cheaper then that but used of course.How do you like their stem?I'm thinking of getting one since my stock one is tweaked pretty good.

I do remember hearing that the earlier ones were dom but you are right,they are chromoly now.You just need to get the upgraded joints and their supposed to be good.

For the stem,, we have had no issues, but havent really tested it to much yet, bought the burgard anti vibe because he trashed the stock stem and burgard was one of the cheapest, I run a walsh on my quad and I wouldnt say the burgard appears much less quality. We havent barrel rolled the quad yet so dont know how strong it is yet though

mattl31
06-20-2011, 12:10 PM
As mentioned above, the current models ARE chromoly. I run +2+1's with std travel stage 4 elite elkas on my 400 and love them. I paid just over 500 for Front Arms with the upgraded 19mm Rod ends, speedlinez front brake lines, 2 brake line clamps, extended tie rods with ends, rear brake line and rear brake line to swingarm clamp.

Don't think you're gunna do much better than that with any of the big name companies! Lines and other bits and pieces will nickel and dime you to 700 bucks with the bigger name companies.