PDA

View Full Version : How to wire the fan on direct 05 R!!

IOWAracer
06-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Just like the title says how do I do this?

DnB_racing
06-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by IOWAracer
Just like the title says how do I do this? take the wire off the thermostat and ground it

IOWAracer
06-02-2011, 12:17 AM
I did this and got nothing would my key being removed affect the out come?

KEVIN132
06-02-2011, 01:40 AM
yes it would! cross the blk wire with blk/wht line one and it will think keys still on tho...

fmfhonda250r
06-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Do not ground the wire off the thermostat, will pull timing from the cdi. Ground the green wire comming off of the fan to the frame. If you are using a aftermarket cdi you might need to pull power from the condensor and tap into the blue fan wire to power the fan.

DnB_racing
06-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by fmfhonda250r
Do not ground the wire off the thermostat, will pull timing from the cdi. Ground the green wire comming off of the fan to the frame. If you are using a aftermarket cdi you might need to pull power from the condensor and tap into the blue fan wire to power the fan. lol!!! please explain this scenario to me....

so are you saying every time the sending unit closes the circuit it changes timing??
all that's happening is it goes to ground when calling for fan.

grounding the temp sending unit wire has ABSOLUTLY no effect on timing

what do you mean will pull timing?? the cdi is just a bunch of capacitors that when grounded discharge, but there isn't any way for the stock cdi to alter the timing curve,its either grounded and no spark or not grounded and has spark,, the only thing that has any affect is the TPS, but that just changes the intensity of spark at high rpm not the timing

fmfhonda250r
06-02-2011, 07:47 PM
when you ground the temp wire it sends a signal to the cdi and pulls timing because it thinks the motor is running hot. Was told this by keith little's mschcanic at a national is 06 and have tested it on the dyno and seen the results myself

DnB_racing
06-02-2011, 07:51 PM
if it was to change timing wouldn't that actually make the motor run hotter if you retard the timing? and I wouldn't ever want to advance the timing and risk premature combustion, the stock cdi has no timing curves built in only discharge

you could put a timing light on the flywheel and there would be no difference in the timing with the fan running its going to be 12deg BTDC on the 05 and 11.4 on the +06 with or without the fan running

if Im wrong please tell me, im more then willing to learn something new, Ive been working on cdi's quite a bit, and im trying to get an actual schematic of the capacitance values and resistance readings of the different cdi circuits,
and from all the testing ive done theses are just discharge only and if you want to change the timing curve you need a different cdi

I also dont know what you mean to pull power from condenser for the fan? the fan is already in the condensed circuit the black circuit is the auxiliary circuit and controls the fan and lights and is all on the condenser

IOWAracer
06-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by KEVIN132
yes it would! cross the blk wire with blk/wht line one and it will think keys still on tho...

After crossing the two wires you stated the quad will not start if they are not crossed it will...

So if i take the green wire from the fan and ground it, it will run when ever the bike is running?? I do not have a key installed will that affect anything?!

BB

DnB_racing
06-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by IOWAracer
After crossing the two wires you stated the quad will not start if they are not crossed it will...

So if i take the green wire from the fan and ground it, it will run when ever the bike is running?? I do not have a key installed will that affect anything?!

BB yes the key will affect all the auxiliary circuit,there are a bunch of ways to make it run, you can wire the fan right to the black wire and jump the key or just wire the fan to the red from your condenser and ground the other side,

KEVIN132
06-03-2011, 10:44 PM
u can def take the key wire cut end of and just tie the 2 wires together then ground the thermostat wire and it should work,,

ive never had a problem with my bikes on dynos from doing this.. ive done about 8 bikes like this and alot are holeshot rippers constent.. if it robs power it cant be much..

im always willing to learn tho and love when us riders can help each other thru problems etc ot just giving out a easy tip to gain power or stop a problem that might be able to be stopped!! :)

matt1106
06-05-2011, 06:19 PM
not to jack somebodys post, but i had my 06' out today for the second time and after an hour my bike started running like crap, almost like the choke was on, started sputtering at high rpms so i pulled over and turned it off and realized my bike was running pretty hot and the fan hadnt turned on, and when i thought about it, id never heard or seen the fan run...wat could it be? the thermostat? and if it is, should i just hardwire my fan? and honestly guys arguing about where to jump power from the fan, if ur really that worried, its not that hard to wire it right to the battery with an inline fuse and a switch... just my 2 cents

DnB_racing
06-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by matt1106
not to jack somebodys post, honestly guys arguing about where to jump power from the fan, if ur really that worried, its not that hard to wire it right to the battery with an inline fuse and a switch... just my 2 cents we weren't arguing!! , we were questioning if when the fan comes on if it changes the timing curve, if it does its something everyone should know about...

all of us discussing it know how to hot wire the fan and we were trying to possibly learn something new!!!

as far as your issues im sorry to say it sounds worse then just your fan running.

my guess is it overheated and your piston or cylinder expanded and scored your cylinder, but maybe you ll get lucky... the only way to tell is either tear it down or run it again... I would tear it down

matt1106
06-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
we weren't arguing!! , we were questioning if when the fan comes on if it changes the timing curve, if it does its something everyone should know about...

all of us discussing it know how to hot wire the fan and we were trying to possibly learn something new!!!

as far as your issues im sorry to say it sounds worse then just your fan running.

my guess is it overheated and your piston expanded and scored your cylinder, but maybe youll get lucky... the only way to tell is either tear it down or run it again... I would tear it down i didnt actually overheat it, i let it cool down for an hour and rode it again, and it ran fine.

DnB_racing
06-05-2011, 06:44 PM
then maybe it just a dirty air filter or fuel issue, if it only runs like crap when hot then it might be valves but just running hot wont make it run that bad, so I wouldn't think it has anything to do with the fan

matt1106
06-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
then maybe it just a dirty air filter or fuel issue, if it only runs like crap when hot then it might be valves but just running hot wont make it run that bad, so I wouldn't think it has anything to do with the fan Hmm...i dunno. either way i do have to make my fan work. so ill hotwire it tomorrow. ill check my airfilter and carb, but i doubt its that, bc they have both been cleaned recently. i dont kno if this helps at all, but when i first started my bike today the choke was acting up, it kept popping itself right back in after the bike started, so i just held it out for 15 secs till it would idle without it, and after that the bike ran great until like an hour later, then it started acting up. the only reason i mention it is bc when it was acting up it was like i was trying to ride with the choke
on

IOWAracer
06-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by matt1106
and honestly guys arguing about where to jump power from the fan, if ur really that worried, its not that hard to wire it right to the battery with an inline fuse and a switch... just my 2 cents [/B]

Well no one is arguing but as the title stated 05 R there is no battery to wire to hence the issue!

I did get it working correctly if you have your key removed go to the female end attached to the harness cut and splice the BLACK wire to the RED wire and then ground out the thermostat wire and it will work perfectly!!

Thanks for the help rode tonight and didn't notice any difference, may be noticeable on a dyno but I cant seem to get it to hiccup...

Broc