PDA

View Full Version : Starter Clutch Pieces/Shavings

iSavage504
06-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Ok, so i decided to have a blast & continue to keep screaming around trails after i've noticed my starter clutch slipping (not grabbing to turn over motor) from here to there. I get home, clean bike then on my way to put back inside... it just dies out. Removed engine side cover to find starter clutch in pieces & found out the reason it died out & didnt want 2 start nor even could i push start was b/c of metal shavings on magneto on flywheel (keeping engine from getting any spark on turns).
So far im planning to drain oil & flush out bottom end with deisel to just be safe & remove any more shavings if there is any before i install new starter clutch.
ANY SUGGESTIONS

dxcody
06-01-2011, 07:34 PM
sounds to me like you got it figured out already, thats what i would do, and also maybe get a magnet stick, not the flexible ones because they make it kinda a pain in the butt, and just run it through the bottom end a little just to make sure that they arent any big chunks that wont drain out just a suggestion

iSavage504
06-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
sounds to me like you got it figured out already, thats what i would do, and also maybe get a magnet stick, not the flexible ones because they make it kinda a pain in the butt, and just run it through the bottom end a little just to make sure that they arent any big chunks that wont drain out just a suggestion
Thanks dxcody,
Seem like me & u think alike on this situation. Got more than one magnetic stick 2 give it a try.
Well i kind of do feel confident with my solution to removing any shavings or chunks but im always open to opinions, suggestions or any other ideals.
Any other ideals - More help - Anyone had same or @ least simular issue/problem :confused: :confused: :confused:

Pipeless416
06-02-2011, 08:12 AM
for future peace of mind, maybe consider a magnetic drain plug in the bottom of your oil tank. also, clean out the screen behind the oil pump and the one at the bottom of the oil tank.

ridehonda400ex
06-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Quick Question-Why would you flush diesel fuel thru the bottom end?

iSavage504
06-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
for future peace of mind, maybe consider a magnetic drain plug in the bottom of your oil tank. also, clean out the screen behind the oil pump and the one at the bottom of the oil tank.
Magnetic drain plug - got one when installed larger oil tank
And thanks for the heads up on cleaning the screens - Would've been that one minor thing over looked.

iSavage504
06-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by ridehonda400ex
Quick Question-Why would you flush diesel fuel thru the bottom end?
To be honest i really dnt know all the details of why diesel over anything else but i have been suggeted that from more than 4 engine builders. I sure wasnt going 2 be using water & im not a fan of gas. [DIESEL POWER] {C12 SCREAM}