PDA

View Full Version : exhaust leaks..

pmg8134
06-01-2011, 11:19 AM
in the process of rejetting for this humid hotness that is upon us now and dicovered an exhaust leak between my head pipe and slip on. what does an exhaust leak effect in the motor? will this make jetting different? Thank you!

ridehonda400ex
06-04-2011, 09:06 PM
will make it more lean i assume

pmg8134
06-06-2011, 07:36 AM
what makes you assume that? just curious. i`v read it is what`s causing a slight backfire at times and inconsistencies jetting but haven`t seen where it affects air/fuel mix. thanks

ridehonda400ex
06-06-2011, 07:45 AM
well im not sure how big the leak is but when you put a pipe on your quad or bike you need to re-jet due to more air flow out, so essentially an exhaust leak causes more airflow. IIRC you said the leak was around where the can meets the head pipe? High temp RTV will seal it up.

pmg8134
06-06-2011, 08:12 AM
causing the backfire on decel is the extra air resulting in a lean condition from the leak. right? i see said the blind man

kbnorth99
07-26-2011, 09:41 AM
I have a similar issue. Bad exhaust mounts allowed the pipe to move like mad and now the slip joint is loose and I have a leak. I was going to ask how best to seal this but I see rideHonda suggests High Temp RTV. I assume that I would take the pipe off, make a seal on one side of the joint, allow to dry per instructions and them re-assemble.

Does that sound about right?

pmg8134
07-26-2011, 12:30 PM
i did something like that...

cut relief slits opposite of what the factory did on the slip on then high temp sealant. two clamps. hasn`t budged yet, also hadn`t really beaten on it either so we`ll see.

kbnorth99
07-26-2011, 12:51 PM
I don't have any relief cuts. Stock header and White Bros slip on. It's just a straight section of pipe sliding over another straight section. I'm worried if I use a clamp I will crack the header. Even with new mounts for the exhaust there's a fair amount of play. I think I'll try the gasket with no clamps and see how it does. If it doesn't work I'll get more drastic. I thought about just welding it on but that would definitely break the header.

pmg8134
07-26-2011, 12:57 PM
i used a hack saw and made some. took my time with them and made them about an inch inch and a half. doubt your going to crack your headpipe. i guess it depends on what clamp your using but it would have to be pretty beast to crack the headpipe.

kbnorth99
07-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by pmg8134
i used a hack saw and made some. took my time with them and made them about an inch inch and a half. doubt your going to crack your headpipe. i guess it depends on what clamp your using but it would have to be pretty beast to crack the headpipe.

I thought the reason the exhaust systems have the slip joint itself is so that the pipe can move without flexing the header pipe. Am I way off? Or does the clamp still allow that movement?

pmg8134
07-26-2011, 01:19 PM
the only movement there should be as far as i know is in the rubber bushings. it should be solid and clamped. no movement or there would be leaks