PDA

View Full Version : Street legal Quads?

joeb2300
05-31-2011, 08:26 PM
Does anyone know if a quad can be converted to street legal in ohio? If so I think it would be really cool to have a raptor like this.

wilkin250r
05-31-2011, 08:45 PM
I really wish all 50 states would just make provisions for street-legal quads.

I understand the evolution of the current laws. Motorcycles have been around for a while, and a three-wheel option was probably created for sidecars. However, because it was never specified as a sidecar, it opened the door for OTHER three-wheeled creations and options that had nothing to do with sidecars.

So nowadays, I would really like to hear a compelling argument why a machine like the Can-Am Roadster is would be legal, but a machine like the GG is not (they are legal in Europe).

http://www.psndealer.com/dealersite/images/dgy/can_am_spyder_roadster.jpg

http://thekneeslider.com/images/ggquad2.jpg

Ichoptop
05-31-2011, 09:13 PM
I talked to the head of the Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles a few years ago and a charity function. He said it was because of the solid rear axle and the lack of side protection for a four wheeled vehicle.

He gave me a funny look when I told him my Ford roadster had no side protection and runs a 9" rear with a spool.

It may be just one of those laws that no one remembers how it got started.

wilkin250r
05-31-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Ichoptop
He said it was because of the solid rear axle and the lack of side protection for a four wheeled vehicle.

I can certainly understand the solid rear axle argument, and why a normal production quad could not be street-legal. Some states offer provisions (I think you can legalize a quad in New York), and some states offer provisions in certain areas (I think you can drive quads on the streets in the Hatfield-McCoy area). But it's not a true legalization across all state lines.

But the solid rear axle argument, and the lack of side protection argument wouldn't hold water with a quad actually DESIGNED to be street legal from the ground up.

slightlybent47
05-31-2011, 10:32 PM
I think there are several thing that keep quads from becoming street legal.
One the solid axes as stated above, but also are the fact that most come with knobies and they don’t do well on pavement. Yes I know duel sport bikes can have knobies, but if you’ve ever ridden on them you know what I’m talking about. Have you ever tried to stop a quad with knobies on a wet road? They slide all over the place and don’t stop very well.
Then there’s the stability of a quad at high speeds, there not the most stable platform to ride at highway speed. We all know how a quad can bicycle on two wheels in a corner.
You put armatures on quads on the street and they will be turning over al over the place.

Tommy Warren
05-31-2011, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
One the solid axes as stated above, but also are the fact that most come with knobies and they don’t do well on pavement. Yes I know duel sport bikes can have knobies, but if you’ve ever ridden on them you know what I’m talking about. Have you ever tried to stop a quad with knobies on a wet road? They slide all over the place and don’t stop very well.
Then there’s the stability of a quad at high speeds, there not the most stable platform to ride at highway speed. We all know how a quad can bicycle on two wheels in a corner.
You put armatures on quads on the street and they will be turning over al over the place.

very few knobbies available for quads are radials so they won't be legal anyways. I think it would be terrible for the sport to have quads legalized on the street. remember that the guy you see fishtailing wide open down the trail with his hat on backwards would now be allowed to ride the streets......not a good outcome

joeb2300
06-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47

Well as you can see the quad that I posted a picture of has DOT approved tires and the suspension has been lowered.

slightlybent47
06-01-2011, 12:20 AM
Yeah I saw the tires but I’m referring to quads in general, I don’t know any factory quads that come with DOT approved tires. Lowering it would help, but it would have to be a completely deferent animal after all the mods that would need to be made. Sure a major factory could produce a street quad, but again I think it would be completely deferent then the quads we know today.
Bikes have been around for ever, and bikes with side cars have to. Then comes the trike and now Can Am has the roadster.
Neither of these has side impact protection but are legal.

In my state I can get on a motorcycle with nothing but short pants and flip flops and be legal. But if I drive a car I have to wear a seat belt and flip flops are illegal. Go Figure that one out!

slightlybent47
06-01-2011, 12:28 AM
How about a unibike!lol
http://i53.tinypic.com/2nhlzih.jpg

quadrider
06-01-2011, 02:23 AM
its 100% legal here in Montana, a licence plate, tail/brake light, mirror and horn to pass inspection, then after that you just keep the license plate on, and away you go. there's probably 20-30 people riding around on the streets were i live and no problems yet. I thought about doing it to my yfz to save some money on gas, but the money you save on gas comes right back around when you have to buy new tires

rundrave
06-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by quadrider
its 100% legal here in Montana, a licence plate, tail/brake light, mirror and horn to pass inspection, then after that you just keep the license plate on, and away you go.

south dakota is the same, lots of people drive them to work, even rzr's etc

fastredrider44
06-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
very few knobbies available for quads are radials so they won't be legal anyways. I think it would be terrible for the sport to have quads legalized on the street. remember that the guy you see fishtailing wide open down the trail with his hat on backwards would now be allowed to ride the streets......not a good outcome

This is probably true.:(

smr
06-01-2011, 08:34 AM
its 100% legal here in Montana, a licence plate, tail/brake light, mirror and horn to pass inspection, then after that you just keep the license plate on, and away you go. there's probably 20-30 people riding around on the streets were i live and no problems yet. I thought about doing it to my yfz to save some money on gas, but the money you save on gas comes right back around when you have to buy new tires

save money on gas..:huh What kindof millage you get out of your yfz. I'm getting maybe 10 mpg at the most.

wilkin250r
06-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by smr
save money on gas..:huh What kindof millage you get out of your yfz. I'm getting maybe 10 mpg at the most.

That's because you're WOT, spinning your tires everywhere you go. Your front wheels have traveled 10 miles, but your rear wheels have spun the equivalent of 40 miles. :devil:

smr
06-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
That's because you're WOT, spinning your tires everywhere you go. Your front wheels have traveled 10 miles, but your rear wheels have spun the equivalent of 40 miles. :devil:

lmao..that's good. I just thought it was odd that he felt his yfz would get better fuel millage than what ever he is driving.

I know somebody that got their rzr legal in Tn. It's fun to ride through town in but don't do it for the fuel millage. You will be very disapointed.

OldGuyonaQuad
06-01-2011, 04:14 PM
This will never happen in the communist state of New Jersey. We still have no legal place to ride our registered, insured and taxed quads. State legislaters here are convinced that quads were invented by Adolf Hitler.

quadrider
06-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Compared to my 1ton diesel on 35s in city driving ... id say my yfz gets way better mileage ..$20 bucks a week compared to close to $10 a day i would say yfz wins .. plus way more fun
And if your only getting 10mpgs out of your yfz you might need a filter cleaning or rejetting

smr
06-02-2011, 06:15 AM
Compared to my 1ton diesel on 35s in city driving ... id say my yfz gets way better mileage ..$20 bucks a week compared to close to $10 a day i would say yfz wins .. plus way more fun
And if your only getting 10mpgs out of your yfz you might need a filter cleaning or rejetting

Thanks for the advice. I will make sure my filter is clean.

Pappy
06-02-2011, 06:21 AM
I fully agree, a street legal quad based ride would sell like crazy. They could easily be 10k or less, fuel efficent and as safe as any street bike, which by the way has already shown teh world how big of a jackazz one can be, yet they are still climbing in sales.

You would think in a bad economy, the gubment would be open to new ideas, in this time and era of lowering dependency on oil we would be (they) open to new things.

Does anyone honestly think one of the legal "smart" cars affords any real crash protection?

Pappy
06-02-2011, 06:25 AM
BTW, every manufacture reads these forums daily....and it will take them to get the ball rolling in Washington. They will have our support and it would be very easy to get the masses on board.

I think its a no brainer, but whenever politics are involved common sense looses out

smr
06-02-2011, 06:51 AM
funny you mention the smart car. People think they are great on fuel but only get about 36mpg. A yaris will easily beat that.

I have often wondered why we don't see street legal quads. I ride a dual sport bike and have even thought about converting it into a trike. It would be nice.

rooster300ex
06-02-2011, 06:54 AM
I love motorcycles too, but they don't provide anymore protection then a quad does?????

blaster12s
06-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad
This will never happen in the communist state of New Jersey. We still have no legal place to ride our registered, insured and taxed quads. State legislaters here are convinced that quads were invented by Adolf Hitler.

you got that right....i was in the middle of designing a track for the county park systems and big ol govna comes around and shuts us down. we had all the permits land, dosers, dirt. basically a green light and they said no.

Zakradu398
06-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Is it legal to get say an atc250r and street legal it?

TheLane
06-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Zakradu398
Is it legal to get say an atc250r and street legal it?

Check your state laws!

In az all we gotta do is make sure it has a headlight and horn, bam anything you want can be street legal

riding4fun
06-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by TheLane
Check your state laws!

In az all we gotta do is make sure it has a headlight and horn, bam anything you want can be street legal

Yup, it's amazing what I see registered in Lake Havasu.