PDA

View Full Version : oil removal?

mxpimp2000
05-31-2011, 05:18 PM
I recently purchased a enclosed trailer that was used for lawn care and noticed theres a spot in the front where oil has leaked from equipment and the floor is greasy and oily. Today i had the doors open and the sun was beaming pretty hott bout 92 degrees and the floor got slick from the oil coming up from the wood because of the heat.

Anyone know of a way to absorb all or most of this because i dont want to replace the wood its still strong and sturdy. Ive heard cat litter or the oil dry stuff but this oil has been soaked into the wood for some amount of time.

Honda4life05
05-31-2011, 06:03 PM
The good oil remover that looks like kitty litter I bet would be your best bet, Be sure to get the better brands becasue it does make a difference.

CJM
05-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Works well if you let it get really hot and throw kitty litter on it. Or get some acetone and soak the wood in that area with it. It evaporates but will also evaporate the oil.

TCracin440ex
05-31-2011, 10:01 PM
you could also try a good degreaser like purple power with a pressure washer. should take most of it up. id spray purple power on it and let it soak in then scrub it with a brush, then pressurewash it off

ive also used brakeleen to get up oil too. so give either 1 of them a try.

bracey
05-31-2011, 10:07 PM
take that piece of the floor up and flip it over i would not think it would be soaked threw to the other side

slightlybent47
05-31-2011, 10:19 PM
I don’t think you’ll ever get it up completely but you may get most of it out using some of the other ideas already posted.

Deck rite over the top of the old with 3/8th plywood and use drywall screws to secure it. That would give you a very strong floor and most importantly a clean floor.

mxpimp2000
05-31-2011, 10:35 PM
thinking about puttin 1/4 luan over it and putting a laminate checker floor because the main floor is 3/4 plywood and very strong so extra 3/8 woud be too much IMO. I cant flip the wood over because it has undercoating from factory on it.

slightlybent47
05-31-2011, 11:09 PM
I see your point but consider that some of that stuff weighs about the same depending on what you use. Pick up a piece of luan and then 3/8 plywood, I’ll bet there’s not much deference. Wood would be better IMO because if for some reason it got wet it would hold up better. Luan is just pressed paper and it would get soft if it gets wet and it may make the flooring you put on top separate.
Or use ¼ plywood.