PDA

View Full Version : Firing up the 400 tomorrow! Wish me luck!

4WheelinDemon
05-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Well, i am very pleased to say that tomorrow is d-day for my rebuilt 400. I brought her back to life, originally a parts bike all the way up to a badass machine. Tomorrow i let the clutch disks soak with oil, put plastics, 450r carb, wires, gas tank, clutch, handle bars, all the goodies back onto the bars, valve cover, and fill her up with oil. Should take less than 2 hours. After all that, i fire her up and start the break in process :]
So everybody, wish me luck! Ill go ahead and post back on this tomorrow and let everyone know how it turns out.
Thanks for everybodys help!!!

01boneless
05-31-2011, 02:39 PM
good luck let us no ps get some pics

4WheelinDemon
06-01-2011, 08:33 AM
ok...so i have good news and bad news.
good news is she fired up. and WOW what a difference.

bad news is there is something wrong making it not run correctly. heres the story...
I put it all back together lastnight. I went ahead and jumped it with my dads truck since i have no battery. it took a minute to fire up but she did. now, i went ahead and used the stock 400 carb for this first fire up. but i took out the stock jet and pilot and put the 165m and 50p i bought into it. When i fired it up, it ran but died. i started it up again and as soon as it fired i cracked the throttle open and got the rpms up there. it only runs at high rpm (about 4000 and higher) for about 5 seconds or less. after that if i continue to give it gas at that high rpm it will start to die. it will only idel for about 10 seconds tops but it sounds like its about to die out when it idels. if i let it idel and give it even the slightest bit of gas it will die right out. any suggestions?......

urgeman
06-03-2011, 05:36 AM
Try a 42 pilot might be to much with the 50 in there

400exmxrider15
06-03-2011, 06:33 AM
Ya, man, try a 42 pilot. a 50 is huge, make sure your f/a screw is 2.5 turns out, and adjust from there.

4WheelinDemon
06-03-2011, 01:44 PM
I have a 42 p but what size main? And my carb keeps leaking fuel out the over flow. Whys it doing that? And on the side of the carb there is two small hoses that come together on a 3 way connect peice and it has a long tube connected on it as well. Whats that long tube for and where does it go?...

Rkangel7
06-03-2011, 08:38 PM
You may want to check the float level and also make sure there is nothing stuck or damaged in the needle valve the floats are connected to.

Mine leaked like a sieve through the overflow. Traced it back to this location and found that the needle was not closing all the way. Cleaned it out with carb cleaner and problem solved.