PDA

View Full Version : 400ex swing arm bolt

81 clark racing
05-30-2011, 07:44 PM
yes i saw the how to thread on the removal of the 400ex swing arm bolt. however i have tried everything on there and yet mine is still in there and i cant get it out. i haVe used two cans of pb blaster and used and impact and the bolt turns easly just wont come out. anyone have any help? im trying to avoid cutting it but it may be my only option now. my other question is what is the best way to cut it out? someone told me becareful not to damage the bushings in the engine case. because These are not replaceable from Honda? is this true? anyone have this problem after? thanxs 4 any help guys steve

honda400ex2003
05-30-2011, 07:54 PM
5 hours and a grinder wheel lol

thats how i got mine off finally

4 cuts later and lots of shavings all over the place after cutting that hardened steel. as you cut the sides by the arms though, you have to be careful not to go through since the swinger edge goes out to the edge.

i dont think theres a seal for the engine block around.

steve

JOHNDOE83
05-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Mine was slightly bent, I used several different methods but found that a 4 1/2 grinder with a cut off wheel worked best.

I had to cut mine in 4 places, btween the swinger and chassis at both mounting locations, and at either side of the motor cases.

once that was done the swinger fell out and I was able to use a hammer and flat head screw driver to hit out the bolt from the engine, Everything worked fine after that...lol.

Make sure to get a new bolt and new bushings obviously, I also put anti seize on the bolt and greased the bushings well.

81 clark racing
05-30-2011, 08:04 PM
looks like im cutting it thanxs guys

Honda#4
05-30-2011, 08:07 PM
The bushing in the motor is not replaceable from Honda.

thebig450es
05-30-2011, 08:23 PM
After 9 years with no attention to the swingarm bolt i got it off in 5 mins using a rescue hammer chisel, tapped it right out

nelzar13
05-30-2011, 08:39 PM
ohhh man all the guys who spent a week trying to get there bolts out are gonna love your post^ haha i know id be extremely jealous! im sure that wont be the case for me when i have to do it! ill have to have a 10lb sledge hammer!

honda400ex2003
05-30-2011, 08:51 PM
my machine laughed at a 10 lb sledge and any air hammer i used. :( :(

it was also slightly bent by the looks of it but after much diligence i got it. :D

steve

Ruby Soho
05-31-2011, 09:44 AM
my old 99 gave me tons of trouble as well.. i used heat, sledge hammer, pb blaster you name it i tried it. ended up cutting it. either side of the arms that hold the bearings between the frame and the motor real quick and then had to drill the bolt out of the engine cases, which wasnt a problem either.

was great after that lol

400exc
05-31-2011, 05:43 PM
After i tried beating on the one end to get it out, I cut the head of the bolt off and beat it out that way. It ended up coming right out! Maybe try this as well.