PDA

View Full Version : Why does my Preddy Kill batteries?

luigi
05-30-2011, 10:33 AM
I've had my Predator for 3 years and have put like 5 batteries in it. I keep it on a "battery tender". It starts fine then at random times the bike just dies. The batteries seem fried.:huh Won't take a charge, will just hold a surface charge as soon as you hit the starter it zaps them down to nothing. My last battery did ok it lasted maybe a year before it quit. Bike charges at 14 volts which seems about right to me. I tried changing the rectifier and thought I had it fixed but I killed another battery this weekend. Maybe I have had a bad string of batteries.:ermm:

chronix79
05-30-2011, 01:58 PM
I have had my predator for about a year and a half and i am on my 3rd battery....Just like you I keep mine on a maintainer and it is totally random when it happens.

I have stopped buyng yuasa and other expensive batteries due to this. Now I just go to my local walmart...

rooster300ex
05-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by chronix79
I have had my predator for about a year and a half and i am on my 3rd battery....Just like you I keep mine on a maintainer and it is totally random when it happens.

I have stopped buyng yuasa and other expensive batteries due to this. Now I just go to my local walmart...

I've had my wal-mart neverstart(ha) for about 2 years with no problems.

luigi
05-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Maybe it's just crappy batteries. It always starts out fine , it seems to just die during a ride and the quad won't run without a charged battery.

sleddog66
05-31-2011, 04:48 AM
so when the quad dies, is the battery voltage down to like 7 or 8 volts, or is it zero or what. Definatly a problem there, I have original batteries in my 05 pred, 06 suzuki, 07 outlaw, 08 taotao, and a 07 yami sled.....all good, all on tenders when not riding. You are using an actual battery tender, and not some chinese want-to-be piece of crap, right?

luigi
06-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by sleddog66
so when the quad dies, is the battery voltage down to like 7 or 8 volts, or is it zero or what. Definatly a problem there, I have original batteries in my 05 pred, 06 suzuki, 07 outlaw, 08 taotao, and a 07 yami sled.....all good, all on tenders when not riding. You are using an actual battery tender, and not some chinese want-to-be piece of crap, right?

Yes, probably about 7 or 8 volts, but as soon as you hit the starter it just kills the battery dead. I am using an actual battery tender.

luigi
06-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by sleddog66

Yes, probably about 7 or 8 volts, but as soon as you hit the starter it just kills the battery dead. I am using an actual battery tender.

OutlawBill
06-02-2011, 07:17 AM
vibration ,poor grounds and shorts in wires will kill batteries.