PDA

View Full Version : coolant problem

flyboy62
05-30-2011, 08:22 AM
when ever i am done riding there is always coolant all over the resevoir. and i always got to fill it up, Because it comes out. it just recently started doing that i have not looked to see where it was coming out yet my guess is the overflow. ut anyone know why its doing this?
Thanks

DnB_racing
05-30-2011, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by flyboy62
when ever i am done riding there is always coolant all over the resevoir. and i always got to fill it up, Because it comes out. it just recently started doing that i have not looked to see where it was coming out yet my guess is the overflow. ut anyone know why its doing this?
Thanks dont overfill your over fill bottle make sure that when hot its not over were its supposed to be,

if so your adding atmospheric pressure which is almost 15psi in addition to the cap pressure

flyboy62
05-30-2011, 01:38 PM
so you think that i am just putting too much coolant in the over fill bottle? when its cold i put enough in so the level of the coolant is sitting on the higher mark. then i go out a do 1 or 2 15 min. motos and its on the lesser line.

DnB_racing
05-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by flyboy62
so you think that i am just putting too much coolant in the over fill bottle? when its cold i put enough in so the level of the coolant is sitting on the higher mark. then i go out a do 1 or 2 15 min. motos and its on the lesser line. it could be a few things

1: overfull bottle
2:bad seal on radiator cap
3: bad circulation, from pump or restriction,or thermoustat
4: pressurising coolant system from bad gasket

BEFORE you start the quad, take radiator cap off, start it...some fluid will spill out, but it shouldn't bubble over,,

let it warm up enough that the thermostat allows flow, if it gurgles and starts bubbling over then its a head gasket,

if no noticeable fluid movement then bad circulation.you should see some cycling of the fluid as the thermostat opens and closes, some may come out, but it shouldn't bubble over from pressure. as the caps off and the only pressure would be from a problem

but I would check cap and proper fluid level , and also make sure your overflow tube is clear of obstructions

eastside 400
05-31-2011, 10:46 AM
when cold, fill the bottle to the low line, also, get a longer line for the reservoir and run it too the ground. if you fill the bottle to the high line it will come out when it gets hot, and the stock line pours it all over the quad

Honda4life05
05-31-2011, 01:07 PM
This is pretty common, I just fill my overfill bottle in the middle and ride until it stops coming out of the line. It usually ends up a little under the lower line. It doesn't have to have much coolant in the overfill bottle because your bike shouldn't be using any coolant.