PDA

View Full Version : How much suspension do I need?

flyboy1294
05-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Hey guys,

I am curious on the necessity of suspension upgrades on these 450's.

I'll be doing club level racing. (Production or open C class probably) and some open trail riding.

With that said, do I need to go all out on suspension? I know I want to get +2 or +3 arms and axle, but do I need to go long travel and spend money on aftermarket shocks?

I know LT is the best suspension option as a whole normally, but since I just race for fun at a novice level I am not sure it is necessary for me.

Thanks for the input!

mx Eli
05-28-2011, 09:00 PM
get some standard travel +2's and run your stock shocks, next an axel, a good set of rims and tires, steering stabilizer

I would imagine you already have a pipe and a air cleaner, a cam can help alot too

flyboy1294
05-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by mx Eli
get some standard travel +2's and run your stock shocks, next an axel, a good set of rims and tires, steering stabilizer

I would imagine you already have a pipe and a air cleaner, a cam can help alot too

I'll do the arms and axle all at the same time.

And yes, the quad has a pipe and a filter. I'll have to put a cam in. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, I'm going after church to look at the quad tomorrow. Just making sure I'd be able to afford to ride it once I bought it. :)

DnB_racing
05-29-2011, 07:29 AM
I wasn't at all happy with the stock suspension,

if I set the shocks for trail riding they are way to soft for hard landings or jumping,

if set for jumping they were much to stiff for trails ,and every root or rut would jar the bars from my hands,

a stabilizer helps, but not enough to make a difference in the shocks!!

you could get them reworked and Ive heard it helps, but Im not sure of the ride as I got different shocks instead

flyboy1294
05-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
I wasn't at all happy with the stock suspension,

if I set the shocks for trail riding they are way to soft for hard landings or jumping,

if set for jumping they were much to stiff for trails ,and every root or rut would jar the bars from my hands,

a stabilizer helps, but not enough to make a difference in the shocks!!

you could get them reworked and Ive heard it helps, but Im not sure of the ride as I got different shocks instead

Did you get long travel shocks?

DnB_racing
05-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by flyboy1294
Did you get long travel shocks? no standard travel zps... I really dont use mine that hard that I need the extra cooling and fluid that long travel gives, Ive never had an issue of my shocks fading from heat

mx Eli
05-29-2011, 06:45 PM
he wants cheap suspension for c class racing... the set-up that i said will work good with a good rider. if you buy aftermarket shocks (pep, axis, etc..) I would just buy long travel front end first, there not much more expensive and if you look around there's cheap a arms and shock combo's floating around for sale

DnB_racing
05-29-2011, 06:54 PM
if he put +2 arms and doesn't re valve the stock shocks they will bottom out on jumps and you stand a chance of doing what I did and broke my wrist...

the stock shocks in stock form are very limited in the setup...

and I personally didnt really like them,especially when I couldn't ride for a month and a half

mx Eli
05-29-2011, 08:15 PM
I disagree, the stock 450r shocks are better then people think... they just ride high in the stroke, the rear shock is also good

DnB_racing
05-29-2011, 08:35 PM
I disagree, the stock 450r shocks are better then people think... they just ride high in the stroke, the rear shock is also good that's fine ..i just know im much faster and get a lot less beat up and im a lot smother with my current suspension,

and it was used and not much cash, but its all in what your looking for that matters,

i personally like not get killed and be faster but I guess that doesn't matter to some.... in my opinion suspension is the very first upgrade that should be done, before motor or graphics but that's just my opinion, maybe others like the feel of the stock,

I just haven't met or actually talked to any
mx eli your actually the first person Ive ever heard defend them.lol, but yet you run aftermarket??

flyboy its your choice you've heard both views, its you that's racing. and what are you looking for in your quad?

i agree the rear shock rebuilt with a new link is pretty good

DoonRider
05-29-2011, 10:12 PM
I don't ride as hard as a pro and I try to spend my money to get the best quality I can so maybe my experience will help...that being said, I did the Complete Shock Conversion Kit from GT Thunder for $740. They reworked all three shocks replaced the springs, adjusted the internals, and sent their linkage. Nice ride for cheap.

If you get +2 arms you'll need to redo the front shocks or you'll be way soft like DnB_racing said.

flyboy1294
05-30-2011, 07:41 AM
As far as what I'm looking for, I do want to be competitive and I definitely don't want to invest in a suspension setup that is going to get me hurt.

If I did keep the stock suspension, I would go the route mentioned above with GT Thunder. That is 3 decently setup shocks for the price of just the front aftermarket.

I definitely don't want to go the cheap route on suspension.

As far as the quad I looked at yesterday, I doubt it is the right one for me. It showed tell tale signs of serious internal damage so I politely passed. Still though, I will find a YFZ 450 or a 450R that suits me eventually.

mx Eli
05-30-2011, 08:06 AM
I'm not defending stock shocks, I'm just saying that I"m simple awnsering his question with my opionion. compared to aftermarket, yes there terrible but it also depends on what shocks you get and it seems like he doesnt have much cash.

and if your really trying to start a "i'm faster then you" arguement on the forum... well i feel bad for you,

but yes flyboy it's all a matter of what you want, and how much cash you have to spend, if i was you I'd look for a quad set-up already with suspension it's alot cheaper.

DnB_racing
05-30-2011, 09:35 AM
I'm not defending stock shocks, I'm just saying that I"m simple awnsering his question with my opionion. compared to aftermarket, yes there terrible but it also depends on what shocks you get and it seems like he doesnt have much cash.

and if your really trying to start a "i'm faster then you" arguement on the forum... well i feel bad for you,

but yes flyboy it's all a matter of what you want, and how much cash you have to spend, if i was you I'd look for a quad set-up already with suspension it's alot cheaper. no actually I was thinking that your in the same series as him and wanted an edge.lol

like I said you were the frisrt that has ever said anything good about the stock

As far as me im old and slow now!!and the only way I get any speed is with better equipment,

and stock broke my wrist!

fastredrider44
05-30-2011, 09:40 AM
On suspension, I'd hold off and buy some good used stuff before cheaping out just to get it wider. You can buy a quality set of arms and shocks, have them serviced, and you're good to go.

DnB_racing
05-30-2011, 09:50 AM

I disagree, the stock 450r shocks are better then people think... they just ride high in the stroke, the rear shock is also good it sounds to me that your the one trying to start an argument, I was just being honest with my opinion of stock shocks, and for some reason you took offence to that!

I just disagreed with the stock being good, and apparently you do too... so where is the argument??you say there good then you said there terrible???
i wasn't arguing I was being honest in my opinion,

flyboy1294
05-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
it sounds to me that your the one trying to start an argument, I was just being honest with my opinion of stock shocks, and for some reason you took offence to that!

I just disagreed with the stock being good, and apparently you do too... so where is the argument??you say there good then you said there terrible???
i wasn't arguing I was being honest in my opinion,

Alright seriously, I think you're both missing the point.

I never considered running the stock suspension with extended arns. If I did run stock, they would be revalved and resprung. Therefore, this debate it totally irrevelivant and is not helping me in the least.

With that said:
When you say 'buy quality aftermarket suspension,' does that mean long or standard travel?

The whole point of this thread was to determine if a recreational racer really needs a 1.5k LT setup or not.

Thanks

DnB_racing
05-30-2011, 10:18 AM
flyboy I apologize! an im sorry for contributing into something irrelevant to what you asked!

as far as long travel, that's your choice if you can get some resonably priced then yes, get them, are they absolutely necessary no,

think about them kinda like a see saw,which ever side has the longest piece of the board has to work less, with the same weight to move the same amount... your quad isn't going to gain any travel only the shocks will,

the same bump that had say 16" of shock now has 19" and it changes the leverage the shock has on the arms and quad and you

so what im saying is the quad still moves the same amount, but has a smoother and easier motion on the shocks,

mx Eli
05-30-2011, 10:46 AM
ok all arguement's aside

personally i like lt way better becuase you have better suspension "feel" and you can set your ride hieght and sag alot easier.

a long travel shock has bout 5-7 inch's of shock stroke, a standard travel shock is more around 3.5-4.5, (all depends on shock and a arms) you can get close to the same amount of travel with the standard set-up, just is harder to tune and get set right. also most people do not ride hard enough or arnt sensitive enough to feel shock fade.

if you have an 06+ quad there is a pep/jb front end for sale on ebay and a gibson/axis front end both would be good choice's

chronicsmoke
05-30-2011, 10:50 AM
for a rec. racer, you'll be fine on revalved suspension..

if you ever want to upgrade, then sell your ST setup and buy an LT setup.. I would buy whatever has a better deal when you are looking..

that being said.. there are guys out at the local tracks that hit 50+foot tables with all stock suspension (400exs too haha) not as plush as aftermarket, but how important is your body to you :blah:

rayman375
05-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Standard travel should be fine for you, GT Thunder can rework the stock shocks to work with aftermarket arms. I've also heard good things about Moto X-perts reworking stock shocks. Suspensions aren't cheap, but they are one of the best money well spent mods you can do to an atv, even if that's just reworking the stock shocks. Read this http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=462751 he seems really happy with his shocks now.

flyboy1294
05-31-2011, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the info guys.
I'll look into revalved suspension and LT.I'm leaning towards revolved just for price reasons.

matt1106
05-31-2011, 07:13 AM
call derisi racing, santo is a real good guy and knows 450rs better than anybody. he can revalve and respring your front and rear suspension to your specs for far less than it costs for just a front set of elkas or something comparable.

jpfmotors
05-31-2011, 02:34 PM
X2 for Derisi racing just got his new LT rear linkage and holys@#@ the thing is mint but I need to start a hole new thread on that subject

Kovatch
06-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I was in your shoes a few years back. I had a Z400 when they came out. I bought +2 a-arms with 3-2 rims, widened axle, and ST Works shocks. I raced a few of the, then GNC, nationals and was no way able to hang on the jumps with the competition. LT is the way to go. If you want to race and be competitive you need LT. ST is a waste of money. Resale value on any part is next to nothing. If you decide you want LT setup in a year you just wasted $1000 or so.

Do it right, do it once. Buy a nice +3 A-arm set up to run 4-1 rims. Get LT because you want to race. Don't limit yourself now to save $300. Wait a month or two and save up. There are so many LT setups for sale out there you can snag for $1000 or cheaper. I spent close to $1800 on cheap stuff. It was such a bummer and held me back from going for bigger jumps which in turn is faster lap times.

You can run LT front shocks with a revalved rear. Just my opinion, but why spend money on ST with the intent to get LT in 1-2 years...? Do it right the first time. You will not regret it.

Jamey1E
06-02-2011, 01:06 PM
If I were just starting out I would buy standard travel a-arms +2 and have the stock suspension revalved and re-sprung. Right now I have LT Axis and I have to admit that LT is where its at but I rode along time with stock revalves and they done everything I needed. I see alot of guys around my area who are just as fast (local B) and faster than me with stock revalves. I personally like GT Thunder but there's several other guys out there who do great work! Good luck.