PDA

View Full Version : Rounded the splines on my gear shift shaft.. What now?

troutman561
05-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Well, after all the work to my friends 02 for today's ride, my 400 ended up ending our ride.. We did get a few minutes in though. Now, the splines had been on their way out for a while and today was the day. It appears the only way to replace the shaft is to split the case? Well, I dont want to go that route. I cant be the only one who has had this issue so any suggestions would be great. I was just thinking about through bolting the thing on by drilling a hole from the top of the shifter to the bottom. This way it is less permanent than welding it on.. As I said, any suggestions are welcome!

nkillian9
05-26-2011, 11:57 AM
i have not done any work are seen the inside of a 400ex but a banshee, 250r and ltr can all be pulled out from the clutch side, may have to pull the clutch basket but that will be the hardest part which is rather simple,

troutman561
05-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Perhaps it is that simple.. I will have to check it out.

Honda5
05-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Yup it comes out the other side. It's a easy job.

troutman561
05-26-2011, 05:34 PM
I cant seem to find the part on the parts fiche? Where should I be looking?

rooney
05-26-2011, 05:54 PM
just wrap a few pieses of thin wire around the shaft and bolt the shifter back on its quick simple and lasts for a while

Longdong
05-26-2011, 08:26 PM
You have to split the cases to change the shaft.

CJM
05-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Yup, gotta split the cases. Id weld it on and when the time comes just cut it off and change the shift shaft during the winter or something.

nkillian9
05-27-2011, 03:00 AM
youd think as smart as honda engineers are you wouldnt have to split the case, that sucks, either weld it on or take a coke can and cut a strip out and wrap around the splines and try tightening it up then might be just enuff to get you by for awhile. Nah id just weld it on if the shifter aint aluminum.

troutman561
05-27-2011, 05:38 AM
Looks like through bolting might be the best non-permanent answer here.. I am just concerned that because the bolt will be small it may not handle the abuse... Welding is always there too... Decisions decisions...

chronicsmoke
05-27-2011, 05:59 AM
yah I have this problem too.. I even bought the part to fix it, but I can't justify splitting the cases just for that.

I welded it for now, until I have to dip back into the bottom end. But before you weld it, you have to be sure to spray something on the shaft to cool it while you're welding or else you'll wreck the seal on the case. We used WD-40, but it smoked alot.. there's probably something better to use..

and I've had to redo this twice so far.. the only way to permanently fix it is to split the cases.. bummer..

I might try to put a small diameter bolt through it next time, and weld it again though..

troutman561
05-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Yea, crappy design on Honda's part.. You would think they would make this easier because I doubt it is uncommon. Oh well, through bolting will be happening, perhaps welding. I have no reason to pull my engine apart if it does not need it..

chronicsmoke
05-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by troutman561
Yea, crappy design on Honda's part.. You would think they would make this easier because I doubt it is uncommon. Oh well, through bolting will be happening, perhaps welding. I have no reason to pull my engine apart if it does not need it..

its in an awkward position to try and drill through.. If i dont have to split the cases for any reason while redoing my top end, i'm going to try drilling it from the bottom and re-welding it..

troutman561
05-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Yea the angle is going to be difficult.. It should not be too bad with a little thought and effort.. Ill dive into this next week, too much to do this weekend.. And worse comes to worse it will be welded.

chronicsmoke
05-27-2011, 09:53 AM
if you've got a welder, i would do both.. the shaft is already pooched, so you can't ruin it, and you can grind the bead off to remove it after.. it will take stress off of the bolt that does through it..

nothing worse than breaking a shift lever while you're in 3-4th gear lol, well maybe there is worse things, but it still sucks:p