PDA

View Full Version : extreme couponing

05-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Okay i know it might sound gay, but that show is the freakin ***** haha. Idc what you guys say...2700 bucks worth of groceries for 187 bux is a new front end on my honda.

CJM
05-25-2011, 09:51 PM
My buddies wife does it, she gets all kinds of deals. I find it to be a good idea in principle-but only if you need that much junk. Most often you have to buy other things you might not need/want that much to get the other stuff cause you need a certain price or something.

if you got a family its excellent, otherwise if your single or just married I dont find it to useful.

Also the idiot who bought the entire shelf of mustard I want to slap in the face..wtf is wrong with them??? They really needed that much???

Kickstarts-suck
05-25-2011, 10:23 PM
I watch it..

Some of these people getting pissed at spending $20 is ridiculous....

They are getting $600 worth of food and then *****ing about "paying too much" when they still saved like 95%. :huh

Some go wayyy overboard.. What happens when their 100 boxes of cereal they are hording goes bad?? Could have been given to someone who needs it. Help some of these starving people.

Really cool though.. Id love to get all that stuff for that cheap. I couldn't do it though.. My GF was thinking about it though.

Tommy Warren
05-26-2011, 12:49 AM
I think its part of a hoarding problem. They don't need 80 bottles of gatorade but they just want all kinds of useless junk to feel successfull. They spend up to 8 hours a day collecting coupons. and the one girl who bought 20 packs of cream cheese because it was free? who can eat 20 packs in 20 days before it goes bad? and who takes the loss when these people get it all for free? I would be so embarrasses to walk in there with all those coupons....its no different then food stamps...just another form of welfare IMO

Pappy
05-26-2011, 03:11 AM
We use coupons, but no where near whats on the show. Infact, we dont even get coupons in the sunday paper anymore:grr:

I do like the fact that some of the people on the show buy and donate alot of the food, others do seem a bit "hoardy" LOL! (New word? haha)!

We stocked up on hams around easter. They ran a store special and the wife had coupons and such and we ended up paying less then $1 per ham.....pretty sure she filled an entire freezer with them. We also just found out Foodlion's store card earns us a discount on gas at Sheetz. The wife saved 20 cents per gallon on her last fill up.

I wonder what the shelf life is on alot of that stuff as well....and we do have quantity limits as well, so im not sure we could pull off some fo those things. I asked teh wife and she said she can usually take a $180 to $200 bill and walk out with a $70 savings.

XC_Racer_129
05-26-2011, 10:00 AM
It's a cool show but some of the people are rediculous. I'm all about saving money and getting good deals, but who really needs 200 boxes of cereal or 1000 bars of soap lol. Coupons do save a bunch of money though.

The local store around here has gas reward points. I think you get $.10 off of gas after $100 and then there are alot of other "if you buy three of these, get 30 cents off" etc. My mom usually gets like $3.00 off of a gallon of gas per points period. My dad fills up his truck and saves $80 or more!

Scro
05-26-2011, 10:31 AM
I would only do it if it were for a good cause, like sending packages to the troops or for the needy. Some of those people say they spend weeks preparing for one day of shopping. They could have spent that time working a job, and made more money than they are saving (or atleast just as much).

I'm just curious how coupons work. Who is actually eating the price of the product?

Pappy
05-26-2011, 11:21 AM
The manufactures send out the coupons, consumers redeem them and the store is refunded the amount plus a kick back.

Some stores double coupons, which really adds up.

I figure if they all can stand to loose a dollar off an item, lower the friggon price, save the effort and $$ printing the coupons and lets go!

firefighterjosh
05-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Can they only save money buy buying items in bulk?

Why not just buy a few items?

Tommy Warren
05-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Can they only save money buy buying items in bulk?

Why not just buy a few items?

they can just buy a few items but when you have 50 coupons for a box of cereal...you might as well get 50 if its only gonna cost you 10 cents a box. the coupons expire....

CJM
05-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Agreed, they hoard to a disgusting level imho.

Yes, 50 bottles of gatoraide is usable-wtf do you do with 1000 bars of soap? Like I said, my buddys wife does it-but she doesnt go insane. If she can get 20 packages of whatever hey thats great-but she doesnt buy tons and tons and tons of stuff. Good thing is she bought alot of stuff over the fall and they are landscapers-they save ALOT and were able to eek by b/c work is very slow unless it snows cause of those coupons and products they buy. But like I said, they dont go overboard.

Like I said earlier-wtf you gonna do with an entire shelf of mustard? Eat it like food, by itself??

wilkin250r
05-26-2011, 10:08 PM
I think when you get to that level, a big portion of the motivation is about the "numbers" not necessarily whether or not they'll use the items. If they can get a $1.00 bar of soap for a penny, they'll get a hundred of them. Their motivation is about paying $1 for $100 worth of stuff, regardless of whether or not they can actually USE that stuff.

And it takes HUGE amounts of time. Yeah, occasionally they'll get $1600 worth of groceries for $1.89, but those are the rare occasions, and it takes massive preparation between collecting coupons, organizing them, shopping lists, price checking, spreadsheets, ect ect. If you work it out to an hourly rate, it's going to be $15 an hour.

Hell, I'll just go ahead and WORK for $15 an hour, and then I don't have to settle for Corn flakes when I want Cheerios, I can buy the exact brand of soap I want, I don't have to use up my entire garage storing 300 tooth brushes and 800 rolls of toilet paper, and I don't get my tires slashed by store clerks every time I leave the house.

Pappy
05-27-2011, 04:24 AM
I dunno fellers, that much toilet paper would give me a fuzzy warm feeling LOL:D