PDA

View Full Version : Low end torque

Bobatvracer
05-25-2011, 08:41 PM
I race Hare Scrambles and I would like to add low end torque for climbing hills and powering thru rough terrain. Often when I am on the track I find myself downshifting a lot to negotiate obstacles. Engine work is complete, are there any other steps that I can take to increase power and torque? I have stock sprockets installed both front and rear. What combination of sprockets could assist? What about CDI box? Thanks

01boneless
05-25-2011, 08:52 PM
first off i see this is your seconed post so welcome to exriders dude as for your question if you have some motor work done a CDI wold be ideal for harescrables. because the constant decelaration and turns. but thats only if you have some power mods because a stock 400 would not put out much more power. but dont get cheap brands like white brothers, AMR,or real cheap ones. ive heard good things about dynatech, hot shot and sparks. as for gearing steve cjm and them will help ya out

honda400ex2003
05-25-2011, 09:24 PM
while since the torque of the motor is down super low a lower gearing setup would benefit you the most.

either a 14 tooth or tooth would be good depending on which way you would like to go or what combo you are running now.

14/38
15/39
14/39

http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/400ex.htm

play around with that, it will help you decide what a good setup would be for your application.

id keep the 50 bucks you would spend on a cdi and buy a sprocket. theres no torque or hp worth using up that high in the rpms. the torque is the key to get out of corners quick gearing down will help out with that.

steve

01boneless
05-25-2011, 09:24 PM
free bump lol:)

tri5ron
05-26-2011, 02:53 AM
once again the CDI question is raised, and once again the knowledgeable people will tell you that on a 400EX the aftermarket CDI's are basically useless and a waste of money.
The 400EX,...
BY DESIGN,...
makes 95% of it's HP and torque well below the stock rev limiter.

be careful with some of the advice.
alot of people like to believe everything they read from the aftermarket marketing claims.
Misinformation and incorrect advise can cause damage to both your wallet and your machine.

Tell us what you have already modified on your engine, and we will be happy to make informed and experienced suggestions.
There are many good possible combinations, to squeeze a little more torque out of your 400EX engine.

A aftermarket CDI is not one of them.

welcome to the forums.

durakid
05-26-2011, 04:56 AM
I agree, most times i feel like my stock CDI runs better than my friends aftermarket CDI. go with sprockets.

pmg8134
05-26-2011, 09:45 AM
i`m in about the same battle as you and playing with sprockets. i dropped a tooth on the front and felt a great difference in torque, a whole lot less lugging in the technical stuff, just felt like i was shifting alot more. it`s cheaper than the rear but i feel like you can find a more of a happy meduim with the rear sprocket being played with. through reading these guys say, one tooth in the front equals three in the rear so i`m tryng that next. kinda feel like i hijacked your thread a little so sorry but I`d try the rear sprocket first. just me. i`m sure soembody will tell me i`m way off if I am.
happy trails people!

rcatvrider
05-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Definitely drop a tooth on the front sprocket. I only ride trails(fast) and if i miss a downshift I can usually come out of a corner in third without stalling and it gets right back up to speed. Gotta love the torque of the ex motor.

slightlybent47
05-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Sprockets will help but without knowing what you have done to the motor any other advice is useless.

Bobatvracer
05-27-2011, 04:59 PM
To answer your questions about my engine modification? I recently had my engine rebuilt; it’s now a 426 with a Hot II cam & heavy duty crank and rod. I recently order a dynojet kit and a FMF slip on pipe.

In the near future I plan on ordering a steering stabilizer, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced stabilizer?

I think I will change my front sprocket to 14 teeth. Do you have any more performance suggestions???

CJM
05-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Dump the dynojets, you will get 100x better performance using stock keihin jets. www.jetsrus.com sells them for a good price.

As for stabilizers, best one is one a guy sells on ebay. None you can buy are cheap, but his is the single best out there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/honda-TRX-400EX-CCP-steering-stabilizer-free-shipping-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f0a396993QQitemZ27075 4474387QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

tri5ron
05-27-2011, 09:46 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/honda-TRX-400EX-CCP-steering-stabilizer-free-shipping-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f0a396993QQitemZ27075 4474387QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

and a front pair of 450r or yfz450 shocks, with Works dual or triple rate springs.

400man
05-27-2011, 11:56 PM
im running 13/36 gearing on my xc bike. im running a sprocket guard/rotor guard setup and im running the smallest rear sprocket you can get for maximum ground clearance. I think they even make down to a 12 tooth sprocket that you could run, but gearing that low would kill your top speed, and you would deffinatly be shifting more more often with a fast straight or high speed part of the track.