PDA

View Full Version : removing stuck swingarm bolts

tri5ron
05-25-2011, 02:59 PM
In light of the many recent members having difficulty removing their swingarm bolt, I thought I'd share this.

make yourself up a mixture of 50% ATF, and 50% acetone.
it penetrates better, and helps to break loose stuck parts much better than PB Blaster, WD-40, or Liquid wrench.

here's a copy and paste of an article I ran across some time ago...

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts.
Significant results! They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist, Bud Baker.
*Don't forget the April 2007 "Machinist's Workshop" magazine comparison test.*
*They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment. *

* Penetrating oil ..... Average load*

None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ........ 127 pounds
Kano Kroil .............. 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix.......53 pounds

*The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.*
*Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test.
Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.
Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price. *
*Your experience may vary, etc., etc.*

also here's a similar link...

http://www.idahoturbodiesels.com/vb...read.php?t=6406

Hope this helps.

Ron

CJM
05-25-2011, 08:03 PM
for what its worth, i found mine was easy to get out. But what I did do was use some teflon chain lube and some PBlaster before hand. Then I took my wrench and slightly loosened it all up and then took an impact gun and smacked the other side with a hammer while I was using the impact Popped right out.

Then i smeared the bolt up using anti-seize.