PDA

View Full Version : Only idles on full choke....

volksr32
05-25-2011, 09:25 AM
So, my 400ex has been sitting for the better part of a year due to deployments. I have dumped all the gas filled back up, gas is on. It will only want to run on full choke. I turn the choke down and it just dies. Anyone have any ideas???

pmg8134
05-25-2011, 09:33 AM
clean your carb, clean your air filter... start reading in the 400ex section. welcome home! enjoy it!

volksr32
05-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Damn! i was hoping to get away with not getting it apart to clean the carb. Well time to get some tools out. Thank you and thank you.

pmg8134
05-25-2011, 09:38 AM
clean your carb, clean your air filter... start reading in the 400ex section. welcome home! enjoy it!

pmg8134
05-25-2011, 09:42 AM
don`t know why that posted twice. not really that bad. if it was running when you put it away more than likely just that. put a new plug in it while you have it pulled apart that far. more than likely she`ll fire right up.

volksr32
05-25-2011, 09:43 AM
thanks for the help. much appreciated

tri5ron
05-25-2011, 10:06 AM
volksr32,
it is most likely a fuel issue caused by old gummed up fuel. as already stated, you need to remove the carb, pull out the jets and do a complete cleaning.
us a good carb cleaner spray in all of the passages, let it soak, and blow with compressed air.

you need to also check the fuel line and the petcock for proper flow, and if it was me, I'd just go ahead and remove the petcock from the tank.
I'd do this for two reasons.
After sitting for a year, there is probably residue of gummed up gas inside the tank.

this can clog up the "in tank" screen/filter., or it may already be clogged.
It looks like this...

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_3512.jpg

It can ALSO have some goo on the INSIDE of the screen, so you need to clean it too. It just slides off of the petcock and is easy to slide back on.

While you have the screen emoved from the petcock, spray some carb cleaner through the petcock, and do it in both the "On" and "Res" positions.

Just think of it this way...
anywhere fuel has been, has a good chance of having some gummy goo in it, after sitting for a year. It ALL must be cleaned.

You don't want to spend the time and effort cleaning the carb, just to have another chunk of goo flow down and clog it again.

The fresh gas you put in the tank can also dislodge a chunk of stuck on goo. Rinse out the fresh gas you just put in, after letting it sit for a day.

After that you should be good to go.

and btw-
Thanks for your service in the military. I have always liked the old saying,...

"If you are not willing to stand behind our men in Armed Forces,... Please feel free to stand IN FRONT of them !"

volksr32
05-26-2011, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the added info Tri. I'm on my weekend today, so looks like I'll be trying to get it all cleaned out today. I've heard that saying before and it sure is a good one!

dariusld
05-26-2011, 07:49 AM
If you take the carb apart, make sure you use the right size Philips on the bowl screws and be careful because they strip easy.

erik420
05-26-2011, 11:06 AM
I had the same issue a few weeks ago. Did what tri did and all is well. Runs great now! People often overlook the petcock and screen. Thanks for your service.

Erik.

dan5
05-26-2011, 05:10 PM
I don't have much to add on the carb issue. Tri5ron has that covered.

But would like to thank you for your service and glad alls well.

Now!! Clean that carb and go riding. That's an order.