PDA

View Full Version : 02 400ex wont start after changing main jet.

troutman561
05-24-2011, 09:37 PM
I had another thread about jetting and mentioned this issue but I figure I would start a subject specific thread. Anyway, I pulled main jet cover screw off the carb and put another main jet in. I sprayed some carb cleaner in there and put it all back together. I also checked the valves which needed no adjusting and the spark plug which was good to go. I put the gas tank and air filter box back on and it wont start. I checked for spark and that was fine. I then pulled that main jet cover off to make sure gas was getting in and tried starting. Gas dripped at a decent pace but did not pour from this area. Gas is getting in the carb so I dont think it is that? Did I maybe lodge something in the pilot jet when I sprayed cleaner from through the main jet? I am stumped and will pull the carb completely apart tomorrow but I would like to know if there is anyplace else I should start? It started fine before this.. could a lean main jet be the issue? I doubt it for start up but you never know..

honda400ex2003
05-24-2011, 10:23 PM
usually the main has no effect on starting so i doubt it is anything to do with that.

take the carb apart and clean the pilot itself well along with all of the passages.

steve

troutman561
05-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Yea that is next on the list. The idiot who worked on the carb last time tightened the 4 screws holding the jet access plate so much 3 of the 4 stripped. I have to bust out the dremel tomorrow so I can turn them into a flat head screw and hopefully get them off.

honda400ex2003
05-24-2011, 10:29 PM
tap the screwdriver with a hammer while turning it also, that might help to break them loose.

steve

troutman561
05-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks.. I will try this.. I am not too worried, I have replacements on the way but it is what it is.. I just want to get this thing running for a ride on Thursday!