PDA

View Full Version : pulse generator wire/multimeter

Prey
05-24-2011, 07:46 PM
I have no spark on my machine after being put back together. I removed the kill switch, it ran perfect when I stripped it down. also it is an ER and I have power to the lights and starter. I checked the coil ground which checked fine and I check the coil which was fine.

My question is. I hooked my multimeter up to the pulse generator wire from the coil, grounded the other end and turned the bike over. I had the multimeter set at lowest DCV of 2.5 and expected to see a full spike if the pulse generator wire sent a signal.

am I write, should I have seen that spike on my multimeter?

DnB_racing
05-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Prey
I have no spark on my machine after being put back together. I removed the kill switch, it ran perfect when I stripped it down. also it is an ER and I have power to the lights and starter. I checked the coil ground which checked fine and I check the coil which was fine.

My question is. I hooked my multimeter up to the pulse generator wire from the coil, grounded the other end and turned the bike over. I had the multimeter set at lowest DCV of 2.5 and expected to see a full spike if the pulse generator wire sent a signal.

am I write, should I have seen that spike on my multimeter? does your meter have a min/max hold? or do you have a peak volt meter if not you wont see anything usable while cranking it,your meter must have a minumum impedence of 10 megohms. the peak voltage of the IPG is .7vdc, unless you have a good meter like a 87v series fluke you wont read anything,

have you done the system checks in the manual?

have you done any work to the wire harness? and do you have the throttle safety bypassed?

Prey
05-25-2011, 04:47 PM
my meter does not have a hold.

I do not have a manual.

I have not done work to the harness and the carb and throttle safeties were removed when i bought it new in 05. I also replaced the light switch bundle with a dirt bike kill switch for starting and added a pro design kill switch both in 06.

it worked great last time i rode it, it has been sitting for quite a while though

DnB_racing
05-26-2011, 09:43 AM
here is a link for a free service manual, to download it you have to let the 45 second timer run down and a free link pops up

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I1LMLX10

run through all the system checks for your components in the electrical section, for some of the tests you will need a peak volt meter(one with a min/max) hope this helps any other questions after you run your checks let me know

Prey
05-27-2011, 07:01 AM
thanks man, that is going to be extremely helpful. I do know now that I need a new multimeter. I will pick one up today and let you know how it turns out.

again, thanks

Prey
05-27-2011, 05:42 PM
does it even make sense that the stator is reading out in mV ?

When in autorange it wont even make a volt?

DnB_racing
05-27-2011, 06:21 PM
does it even make sense that the stator is reading out in mV ?

When in autorange it wont even make a volt? auto range is way to slow to pick up the cycle pulses,

what type of meter are you using,without the right meter on the right settings you wont get any readings that would make any sense..

you can do the resistance readings with any meter but the cranking tests only a peak volt type meter will show readings there should be a high and a low voltage from your stator, one of them for the auxiliary circuits and the other for the feed to icm

airmobile101
05-27-2011, 06:26 PM
^^^^^^ like he said, its very hard to get a reading like that unless you have a Fluke.

Prey
05-27-2011, 06:31 PM
i bought a klein at home depot. it is 10Mohm impedance with a min/max

I will take it off auto and try it on manual

DnB_racing
05-27-2011, 06:54 PM
i bought a klein at home depot. it is 10Mohm impedance with a min/max

I will take it off auto and try it on manual Ive never used a Klein with min max but I would imagine its the same..

as long as you see the min max symbol in the site window it should read it, with out a hold you just have to watch it as your cranking it with out hold it doesn't have any memory but you still should be able to get a reading

dont forget if your checking before the reg/rec it ac volts. it turns dc after the reg/rec and being ac is why you cant get any reading without a peak meter as the wave is moving across the positive negative field canceling any real reading out,

but once its dc it still fluctuates in the sine wave just not crossing the line from positive to negative but it still has a frequency cycle, and any reading you still need a peak to get an accurate reading of the high and low sine wave(volts)

Prey
05-29-2011, 08:52 AM
i got absolutely no reading at the coil and 15V / 8V (AC) at the high and low off of the stator respectively.

I understand that I may need a new stator but (with my limited electrical knowledge) it makes no sense to me I would receive not even a small reading at the coil?

Prey
05-29-2011, 09:11 AM
also from the plug on the cdi plug, the high and low readings were .6 and .8 respectively.

I know these numbers may be not wholly accurate... but that for off?

i checked the ignition pulse generator peak voltage per the manual you gave me, that voltage is on par with what the manual states of .7V

ps, i checked the continuity of all the wires, no breaks

DnB_racing
05-29-2011, 10:00 AM
are you sure your cranking it over fast enough?

Prey
05-29-2011, 10:05 AM
ya, it is an er and the battery/starter are strong.

DnB_racing
05-29-2011, 10:08 AM
has there been any modifications to the harness?

edit ::: nevermind I just reread the other info

Prey
05-29-2011, 10:18 AM
are you getting to ... this doesnt sound like an alternator issue?

I thought i had mentioned, it sat in my garage for a year untouched. I doubt this has anything to do with it but thought I might add it in case someone has seen an issue for letting them site.

I am to the point to where I am going to order a stator and CDI. I just hate to invest that to have be something small that wasnt one of those things.

EDIT: i realized that the wires I was testing at the CDI did not run through the rectifier (the black/red (high) blue (low) and white), I retested those on AC and came up with the same readings as the plug from the stator.

is it possible for a weak stator to not give the coil any energy at all?

DnB_racing
05-29-2011, 11:21 AM
i got absolutely no reading at the coil and 15V / 8V (AC) at the high and low off of the stator respectively.

I understand that I may need a new stator but (with my limited electrical knowledge) it makes no sense to me I would receive not even a small reading at the coil? from this I would say you need a new stator,, this is were I would start, this output is much to low from your stator