PDA

View Full Version : My winter rebuild

eprovenzano
05-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Late last year, the 400 died... this was the second time after rebuilding the top end.... This time I found the brass inserts on the end of the cam had come loose and the bearing came off the ends of the cam. This caused the cam chain to slap and tear up the chain guides.

Upon disassembly I found a bad rod so I decided with the help of this site to split the cases and make some changes. 1st was a used crank from a 07 400 with new crank bearings. A new timing chain (CFR450 chain) and a new timing chain tensioner, as well as new chain guides. The cylinder was bored to 4th over, to match the new piston and rings.

With the help of this site, I cleaned all the internal parts; I even made sure I pulled the screen and cleaned it as well.

I put the engine back together, but had some issues. I was unable to find neutral and there was a dragging / grinding noise when in 1st gear. Also the engine would not start. After being frustrated I took the ending to a local builder. He resplit the cases, and found I had in 1st gear in backwards; it was rubbing against the cases. He also found a bent intake valve. That explains the low compression and why the engine would not start. He will reassemble the engine and replace the valve as well as all new valve seals..

Other upgrades / updates, the frame was repainted, and the swing arm bearings were replaced as was the swing arm bolt, the brake pads were also replaced. I regreased repacked the carrier bearings and front wheel bearings. I also changed the jetting, going a little richer. The plastics are going to get a little attention / cleaning, and TLC. After this the bike is going to be basically new / or improved and should last for many years.

eprovenzano
06-28-2011, 07:30 PM
UPDATE:

When I received the engine back from the builder, I could not get it to run... I took the quad back to the builder and asked him to recheck it. He called me to inform me of two issues, the woodruff key had sheared and of course the timing was off.... and I had installed the gear behind the flywheel (starter gear) backwards. He found the key because he set it at TDC, pulled the head, and the piston was down from TDC by two inches... Luckily no damage was done to the valves.

While he had the head off, he pulled the decompression mechanism. Unfortunately he dropped the spring and could not find it...

So a new woodruff key was purchased, and a new decompression spring was ordered... Once both items were installed, and the engine was properly timed.... she fired right up. So I guess I was close but no cigar... I'm just happy that it runs. I need to clean up some of the wiring, basically I just need to go through it and make sure all is as it should be. I also need to go aver all the nuts and bolts again to make sure everything is tight, and ready to go.

Just a quick list of all parts replaced
crankshaft
crank bearing
timing chain guides
CRF450 timing chain
timing chain tenioner
piston and rings
cylinder bored to 4th over (406)
intake valve
valve seals
the valves were lapped
all internal gaskets
woodruff key (twice)
decompression spring
swing arm bolt
swing arm bearing
new chain and sprockets
brake pads

Damn I didn't realize how many parts were replaced until I typed the above list... .

AtvKid4Eva
06-29-2011, 01:26 PM
haha, i hope your "Engine Builder" is a buddy of yours and not a professional...:rolleyes: