PDA

View Full Version : Cam and new piston break in process

4WheelinDemon
05-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Ok, need good advice on how to break in my stage 3 hotcam and je 10.5:1 piston and rings both at the same time. Any suggestions on how to do it right? I know to stay above 3000k rpm, but any other info would be just dandy lol

hocman123
05-23-2011, 09:32 PM
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

this is how me and all my friends do it

4WheelinDemon
05-24-2011, 09:58 AM
sorry but i dont exactly follow that website haha. i'd rather some advise from steve lol
so uh steve...any wise suggestions? lol since ill be breaking in the cam and trying to set the rings at the same time. i'll also be running the 450r carb as well. i decided to try 165m with a 50p. ill put the needle at 4th notch and see how it runs at 2.5 turns out. hopefully it'll be close enough to the point where i can ride the 400 for a bit to break everything in

01boneless
05-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by hocman123
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

this is how me and all my friends do it

thats the best way steve will also tell you that its worked great for a bunch of people

hocman123
05-24-2011, 03:12 PM
well there is nothing special u have to do to break in a cam u just drive it in any way u want it does all the work

but the piston rings the site says for u to let the bike warm up nice take i nice slow ride in 3 rd gear for 15-20 min then stop let it fully cool. then turn it back on and ride it like u stole it, as hard as u can. the best place to break in a atv is on the trake b/c it is important that u change ur speed b/c slowing quickly also helps seat the rings a lot, so a windy track makes a great place to do it.

i didn't have a track nor did i give it a slow run i just let it warm up and idle for about 15 min then jumped on and had fun. haven't had any problems yet.

o and if ur only looking for steve help and no one elses then just send him a pm next time, it's what i did when i needed jetting help.

crownandmonster
05-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by hocman123
well there is nothing special u have to do to break in a cam u just drive it in any way u want it does all the work

but the piston rings the site says for u to let the bike warm up nice take i nice slow ride in 3 rd gear for 15-20 min then stop let it fully cool. then turn it back on and ride it like u stole it, as hard as u can. the best place to break in a atv is on the trake b/c it is important that u change ur speed b/c slowing quickly also helps seat the rings a lot, so a windy track makes a great place to do it.

i didn't have a track nor did i give it a slow run i just let it warm up and idle for about 15 min then jumped on and had fun. haven't had any problems yet.

o and if ur only looking for steve help and no one elses then just send him a pm next time, it's what i did when i needed jetting help.

Nothing special to break in a Cam? The cam is probably the most crucial engine component to break in. Just follow the Cams instructions for break in. Most are supposed to be kept above 2000 RPM, but no excessive RPM for 30 Minutes. After 30 minutes change your oil.

supertrooper90
05-24-2011, 05:30 PM
I somewhat followed the mototuneusa way and couldn't be happier. I did a sparks x 1 cam and the je piston. Bike has tons of power. Good luck either way you'll be happy, I'm sure. When I talked to sparks racing they said just ride it as you normally would. I would check with your cam mfg. to see what they recommend

honda400ex2003
05-24-2011, 09:10 PM
i keep going 15-20 minute intervals until it feels totally broke in. I feel that 3 isnt enough to get everything seated.

i feel that 5 is better at 15 minutes only

3 would be better with a 20 minute run

it is hard to get these things fully warmed up in 15 minutes, even with riding sort of hard.

light startup ride till right around 100 or so degrees then increase the high speed stuff as it warms up. I rev it high, let off the gas, rev high, let off the gas. it doesnt have to be going fast, maybe 3rd gear or 4th gear for a while, then open it up.

I fully let it cool inbetween intervals also. not like a 20 or 30 minute cool, over an hour or 2 to get everything cooled off.

i do not let mine sit and idle at all during the break in period for the first 15 minutes either. after i get it running, i will make sure the oil is satisfactory and full, no leaks, and then ride it until i shut it down during that first interval. that is important to getting the rings seated well imo. during check period, this would only be around 1-2 minutes at best. a good visual inspection of the engine will be ok along with a quick dipstick check. and fill to finish it off. just get everything prepared ahead of time so that the oil fillup is quick and worry free.

for cam break in the rpm range should be varied continuously which is what helps seal with the higher up and down compression.

dont be afraid to really hit it and ride it, its not going to hurt it. if it is going to blow or do something, its not going to be from that.

just my .02 on it though. Ive done this twice now with great results. i had many many hours and miles on my 416 and plan to have my 440 just as long and longer most likely.

as my buddy puts it, they are the fastest machines he has ridden coming from an 800 renegade daily driver. he rides 450s, banshees, and other stuff that i have not and says that. lol

steve

trailrider894
05-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
i keep going 15-20 minute intervals until it feels totally broke in. I feel that 3 isnt enough to get everything seated.

i feel that 5 is better at 15 minutes only

3 would be better with a 20 minute run

it is hard to get these things fully warmed up in 15 minutes, even with riding sort of hard.

light startup ride till right around 100 or so degrees then increase the high speed stuff as it warms up. I rev it high, let off the gas, rev high, let off the gas. it doesnt have to be going fast, maybe 3rd gear or 4th gear for a while, then open it up.

I fully let it cool inbetween intervals also. not like a 20 or 30 minute cool, over an hour or 2 to get everything cooled off.

i do not let mine sit and idle at all during the break in period for the first 15 minutes either. after i get it running, i will make sure the oil is satisfactory and full, no leaks, and then ride it until i shut it down during that first interval. that is important to getting the rings seated well imo. during check period, this would only be around 1-2 minutes at best. a good visual inspection of the engine will be ok along with a quick dipstick check. and fill to finish it off. just get everything prepared ahead of time so that the oil fillup is quick and worry free.

for cam break in the rpm range should be varied continuously which is what helps seal with the higher up and down compression.

dont be afraid to really hit it and ride it, its not going to hurt it. if it is going to blow or do something, its not going to be from that.

just my .02 on it though. Ive done this twice now with great results. i had many many hours and miles on my 416 and plan to have my 440 just as long and longer most likely.

as my buddy puts it, they are the fastest machines he has ridden coming from an 800 renegade daily driver. he rides 450s, banshees, and other stuff that i have not and says that. lol

steve

GEEZ ( all lowercase ) steve...... Who died and made you engine break in expert...lol :devil:

You know me, king of sarcasim...

I personally always beat my cams real good to break em in... I also re-bend my rocker arms to make sure they hit right......... :rolleyes:

thebig450es
05-24-2011, 09:51 PM
I'll be breaking in my GT stroker engine in the next few days. Im thinking of letting it warm up for 5 mins just above idle and then going all out for about 15 or 20 mins, then let it cool down and do it again a few times.