PDA

View Full Version : quad is not running right,please help!

trx400exrider14
05-23-2011, 06:04 PM
my quad will start fine,but when i open it up like half throttle or so it dies down,it will die if i keep it at half.but it will also idle for a while to then just shut off.what could it be? its not tickin or anything.but i did just flip it yesterday and the day before

jake"08"400
05-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Might have some trash in the carb? Fouled plug from rolling it.…

trx400exrider14
05-23-2011, 06:14 PM
those are actually the two things i thought were wrong,i just wanted to just see what else,ill clean the carb and change the plug,hopefully it should help

tri5ron
05-23-2011, 06:21 PM
when you say you flipped it,...
did you do any damage to it ?

any smashed switches ?

did the tail/subframe get crunched?

any wires, battery, ingnition parts get knocked loose?

how hard did you flip it?

you may have knocked the carb loose from the intake manifold.

trx400exrider14
05-25-2011, 06:40 PM
nothing is loose or anything,it ran fine right after the flip,then about 5 min later when i was ridin it just died and wouldnt start for a while,well i thought i flooded it and i didnt,i tried to ride it the next day and as i said when i opened up about halfway it dies and wont start after

01boneless
05-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by trx400exrider14
nothing is loose or anything,it ran fine right after the flip,then about 5 min later when i was ridin it just died and wouldnt start for a while,well i thought i flooded it and i didnt,i tried to ride it the next day and as i said when i opened up about halfway it dies and wont start after

first off drain the oil and change it would be a good thing to do if you flipped it over, then clean your carb and check over it real good .

tri5ron
05-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
first off drain the oil and change it would be a good thing to do if you flipped it over I'm not sure I understand the logic or correlation in the above statement.
Please explain why.

01boneless
05-25-2011, 08:35 PM
because when flipped the gas can somtimes flood the engine and get in the oil whitch is not to good. if you must no

honda400ex2003
05-25-2011, 08:53 PM
i would suspect that either the carb is clogged up, the pet cock filter is clogged, or the filter going into the carb is clogged up.

i believe john did a writeup on the carb filter and how to get it out. I could be mistaken though.

the petcock comes apart to clean the one inside of that.

unless the rings are bad, theres no reason for gas to get in the oil. it would flood it out and blow out the exhaust if anything at all.

theres no need to change the oil in it.

steve
steve

01boneless
05-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
i would suspect that either the carb is clogged up, the pet cock filter is clogged, or the filter going into the carb is clogged up.

i believe john did a writeup on the carb filter and how to get it out. I could be mistaken though.

the petcock comes apart to clean the one inside of that.

unless the rings are bad, theres no reason for gas to get in the oil. it would flood it out and blow out the exhaust if anything at all.

theres no need to change the oil in it.

steve
steve

my bad just trying to help out lol :confused: thats why they drained the oil and said i needed rings when i first got it and it was rolled lol

honda400ex2003
05-25-2011, 09:08 PM
just the fact of rolling it would not hurt it unless it was over filled or something to begin with. it could blow the rings at that point but very very unlikely.

most likely your rings were already bad and that was just an indication that they were. if flooded and they are leaking then it would indeed seep through and into the oil resulting in having it contaminated.

it would be the same as a compression test or leak down test at that point. lol

steve

01boneless
05-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
just the fact of rolling it would not hurt it unless it was over filled or something to begin with. it could blow the rings at that point but very very unlikely.

most likely your rings were already bad and that was just an indication that they were. if flooded and they are leaking then it would indeed seep through and into the oil resulting in having it contaminated.

it would be the same as a compression test or leak down test at that point. lol

steve

ok thanks for clearing that up lol:)

honda400ex2003
05-25-2011, 09:15 PM
not a problem, it could be something for him to check anyway while hes at it. it would most likely show on the dipstick since the gas would sit on top of the oil after it settles out.

the less viscous substance will come to the top or at least the oil is more dense than the gas so the gas would float. it isnt always more or less viscous just this case.

steve

tri5ron
05-25-2011, 11:22 PM
ok,
so now I "no", err I mean Know :huh