PDA

View Full Version : Oil question

jake"08"400
05-23-2011, 05:41 PM
So I have been running synthetic Honda oil in my quad since I have had it since 2009 and I recently put regular ole Dino Honda oil in it the last oil change. Now it feels like my clutch is different I don't really know how to explain it. It grabs alot sooner when I let off of it than it use to when I was running the synthetic oil. So do you guys think I should go back to synthetic are is it just not use to the Dino oil? Has anybody had any experience with switching oil. Did you notice any difference?

tri5ron
05-23-2011, 06:26 PM
are you sure the synthetic oil you were using was "Honda" oil?

Do you know if it had any "friction modifiers" in the blend?

Our quads have "Wet Clutches".
Any synthetic oil that has "Friction Modifiers", is specifically NOT Recommended, due to it makes the clutch plates slip.

Sounds to me like your clutch actually got BETTER, but you are just not used to it.

jake"08"400
05-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Yep positive it was Honda synthetic oil in the red jug. Now I'm running the black jug Honda oil, and that's what I was thinking maybe good ole Dino oil helped it.

But when I pull in the clutch it seems to have to be pulled in farther than before and grabs alot sooner when I let off if that makes since.