PDA

View Full Version : My EX won't stay running???? Race this weekend....

trailrider894
05-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Hey guys, I am yet to have any issues since my rebuild, but here i am with an issue!!!!

It was running great after i washed it, and changed the plug and cleaned out the air filter. It ran like a charm and everything was great just doing some test runs!!

Now, it has been sitting in the trailer un-touched since friday. although the trailer has been moved around once or twice since friday.

Here is the first video, with a barely broken in plug after the engine has been slightly warmed up.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K_c94nQPv8Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is the next video, This is still after the engine has been slightly warmed up, with an old plug that was a beautiful brown which signals spot on jetting!!!!

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4CIEoP8JlPg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Again, this is a high priority issue, with two races this weekend, i can't let anything get behind. If something is broke i pretty much only have 4 days to order parts and get them in... :eek2: ( not my "dang" in the beggining... thats the little bro...)

AHHHHHH I'M FREAKIN OUT!!!

BTW, I like my bass down low..... :chinese:

honda400ex2003
05-23-2011, 04:30 PM
is it out gas? ive done it... haha

is it any better with the choke on?

hard to say i guess.

steve

bdubwiley
05-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
is it out gas? ive done it... haha

is it any better with the choke on?

hard to say i guess.

steve

haha ive done the exact same thing and sat there for bout 10 minutes keeping on trying to start it & trying to figure out what was wrong with it.....all it needed was gas

finsteratv
05-23-2011, 04:47 PM
turn off that garbage :chinese: haha..my brother has the gas problem as stated above often..
jetting is good CHECK
getting gas ??
im blanking..

trailrider894
05-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Easily could be outta gas.................... I barely put any in last time i ran it.... I might be idiot of the year..........................

kt1148
05-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Mine did the same thing about a week ago...wife wanted to take a spin in the yard and I forgot to turn the gas on....:rolleyes:

trailrider894
05-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Put it on reserve it ran great......... Stupid me. Whatever, even the most avid wrenchers make that mistake once....

tri5ron
05-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Well I can honestly(not) say that I have NEVER done exactally the same thing,...
and,
I have also never practically ran my battery dead trying to start it either,....

(Only to later notice that the kill switch wasn't in the center position).

or put in a new sparkplug, but didn't put the plug cap on, and wonder why it wouldn't start,...

NOPE, ... I ain't never ever done that either!

How about starting to launch the boat,...
Just getting it off the trailer,...
and look down at the dash board to see the plug sitting there !

Or pulling out of the driveway in the camper for a long weekend,....
just getting onto the Freeway,...
and have the wife say,...

"you did remember to fill the water tanks right ???"

UMMmmm,...

I am absolutely NOT (un)-Guilty, your Honor !

YEAH RIGHT !!!

hahaha, don't feel like the Lone Ranger there Trailrider !

trailrider894
05-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Well I can honestly(not) say that I have NEVER done exactally the same thing,...
and,
I have also never practically ran my battery dead trying to start it either,....

(Only to later notice that the kill switch wasn't in the center position).

or put in a new sparkplug, but didn't put the plug cap on, and wonder why it wouldn't start,...

NOPE, ... I ain't never ever done that either!

How about starting to launch the boat,...
Just getting it off the trailer,...
and look down at the dash board to see the plug sitting there !

Or pulling out of the driveway in the camper for a long weekend,....
just getting onto the Freeway,...
and have the wife say,...

"you did remember to fill the water tanks right ???"

UMMmmm,...

I am absolutely NOT (un)-Guilty, your Honor !

YEAH RIGHT !!!

hahaha, don't feel like the Lone Ranger there Trailrider !

Ha ha thanks Ron!!!!!!!

NacsMXer
05-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Been there done that haha. Definitely seemed fuel related in the vids.

Anybody ever notice on the 400EX that the markings on the fuel tank petcock and the markings on the side panel are reverse of eachother?

Fuel tank petcock reads like this:

ON
OFF
RESERVE

Side panel reads:

RESERVE
OFF
ON

I notice that when the fuel line is disconnected that fuel flows out at a faster rate when it is in the ON (petcock) position.

I think what the petcock on the tank reads is the correct one, much like with dirtbikes.

Thoughts?

honda400ex2003
05-23-2011, 09:22 PM
at least i got it right :D thats all i care about. i have done that with both of my machines. you would be amazed how long you can kick a 250r if you really put your mind to it. hahahahaha

steve

bdubwiley
05-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
at least i got it right :D thats all i care about. i have done that with both of my machines. you would be amazed how long you can kick a 250r if you really put your mind to it. hahahahaha

steve

haha that is the worst there, i have worn my leg/self out a few times when i had my crf50. i couldnt even begin to tell you how long i kicked on that thing one day till i realized it was out of gas. def not the best way to start the day out

tri5ron
05-23-2011, 11:00 PM
When we are heading out to the Desert,...

I sometimes I think I should pull over, just to check and see if I remembered to load the Quads into the trailer !

then of course,...

did I bring all the ignition keys ?
did I load the gas cans ?
does everyone have their Helmets?
did I forget the firewood in the driveway?
did I forget to load the dogs up into the camper?
did I bring their water bowls?

It sure is a good thing that my wife is in charge of loading our food and drinks,...
or it could be a very long and hungry camping trip !

Funny,...... but for some strange reason,
I ALWAYS REMEMBER TO BRING THE BEER !!!!
:devil: :devil: :devil:

chronicsmoke
05-24-2011, 05:43 AM
Haha I ran out of gas on the road once, and I was convinced I blew it up. Called my brother to come and bring a truck, then I put it on reserve and met him on the way haha.. :p

Let us know how your races go trailrider894!

rooster300ex
05-24-2011, 05:56 AM
My dads 02 400ex will only run in the ON position, for some reason RES is like its off.

Budweiserebel07
05-24-2011, 06:42 AM
Went camping last year:

Clothes ..check
beer.. double check
laterns... check
food...check
sleeping bags... check
Tents..............ehhhh tents ?.................still at the house 250 miles in the opposite direction

DOH !

smorris1
05-24-2011, 06:58 AM
Maybe your CDI? My 250x had the very same problem. It would start fine but it wouldnt stay running. I replaced it and now it runs perfect. When the bike is runniing try tapping the cdi with a screwdriver and see if that helps it stay running.

01boneless
05-24-2011, 12:17 PM
i never tied to start my 400 with out the tether and started kicking it when it dident start lol

rooster300ex
05-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Been there done that haha. Definitely seemed fuel related in the vids.

Anybody ever notice on the 400EX that the markings on the fuel tank petcock and the markings on the side panel are reverse of eachother?

Fuel tank petcock reads like this:

ON
OFF
RESERVE

Side panel reads:

RESERVE
OFF
ON

I notice that when the fuel line is disconnected that fuel flows out at a faster rate when it is in the ON (petcock) position.

I think what the petcock on the tank reads is the correct one, much like with dirtbikes.

Thoughts?

Yep I noticed that also. Wonder Y???