PDA

View Full Version : Another Carb Question

cglantz142
05-23-2011, 08:26 AM
This is my first post here. I have been a member for a while now and there is a lot of good info here so I thought I could get some help.

I have a 2001 400ex. Stock motor with a white brothers slip on. The carb has a dynojet jet kit. This bike used to run really well. I never had any problems until the last time I rode it (about 6 months ago). When I took it out it had a really hard time starting. When I finally got it started it wouldn't idle. It seemed like it wasn't getting any fuel. When applying throttle it seemed to spit and pop and ran just awful. The gas in the tank was about 3 months old so I thought it was bad gas, but when I drained the tank and put fresh fuel I did the same thing. So I took the carb apart and replaced the float needle and all of the o-rings/gaskets. When I put it back together it did the same thing. I looked up the instructions for the jet kit and they instructed to have a 170 main, the needle on the third clip from the top and the fuel screw out 3.5 turns. I looked at the main and it was a 165. So I put the 170 in. It still took minute to get it started, but it idled a little better. It didn't spit and sputter when applying throttle but when I would rev it up and let off it would idle down and die. It fires back up right away, but does the same thing.

I am pretty new at messing 400's because I never had to mess with it. So if anyone has some thoughts about what I am doing right or wrong let me know. I ride from sea level to 1000ft and the pilot jet is stock.

BlasterEaten250
05-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Make sure the pilot jet is completely clean by blowing carb cleaner through it.

pmg8134
05-27-2011, 12:49 PM
did you blow compressed air and cleaner through the carb? did you clean the petcock`s in the tank?

pmg8134
05-27-2011, 01:04 PM
did you blow compressed air and cleaner through the carb? did you clean the petcock`s in the tank?