PDA

View Full Version : which cam is better for 07trx450er

mhewitt
05-23-2011, 08:14 AM
I have three different cams to choose from so I want to know which is best, trx hrc cam, hotcam stage 2, or crf450r stock cam? Still haven't decided if I will be using the oem head or an 04 crf head but the bottom end is gonna be bored 3mm using factory comp piston

DnB_racing
05-23-2011, 09:20 AM
what is your ideal type of setup?? in other words are you mx, tight trails, open dunes, are you looking for low torque, mid range power, or top speed?

remember if you add in one area you loose in another

Dave400ex
05-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Can also depend on head work. Some cams work better then others depending on porting.

mhewitt
05-23-2011, 04:07 PM
All around I guess, I ride from wide open fields to woods trails and everything in between

fast450r70
05-27-2011, 06:31 AM
HRC cam or HC stage 2- they are close to the same but they are a great all around cam.

mhewitt
05-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Setup I'm going with is 06 cf head, 477cc big bore with 12.0 piston, crf head gasket bringing compression up to 12.4, hrc exhaust, hrc needle, which cam would be best with this setup for all around riding? Also some round about jetting #'s would be nice too lol

DnB_racing
05-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by mhewitt
Setup I'm going with is 06 cf head, 477cc big bore with 12.0 piston, crf head gasket bringing compression up to 12.4, hrc exhaust, hrc needle, which cam would be best with this setup for all around riding? Also some round about jetting #'s would be nice too lol do you have to do any work on the head for the big bore? and I think I would do a squish test,are you sure you will end up at 12.4 psi?

and I would dial in the cam, im not sure but the thickness of the crf head might be slightly different and cause your timing to be just a little off, and compression higher then you thought,

at the very least check the side height of your trx and crf heads to compare just to make sure,you never know there might be slight tolerance differences

make sure you use the big bore head gaskets, if not you could get issues with the compression getting under gasket in combustion chamber causing you to pressurize the coolant system,

as far as jetting unusually porting has very little affect unless its major port job, but with the crf that might be hit or miss, I would start rich and work down, doing a plug chop when close..

I think I would start at a 170 main and work your way down and needle in the middle a/f screw at around 2 1/2 turns out maybe a 50 pilot... and tune it from someplace around those settings, you will probably end up around a 160 main but I definitely wouldn't start there

its going to take a little fine tuning for sure